Tetraglot
Croatia
Joined 5214 days ago

30 posts - 33 votes
Speaks: Croatian*, English, German, FrenchB1
Studies: Japanese

Message 1 of 13
21 January 2010 at 8:36pm | IP Logged 
I've completed Michel Thomas French (Foundation, Advanced, Builder and Vocabulary) and I'm wondering what program/method should I use after completing it? Michel Thomas recommended reading and listening to native material, but it seems to me that it's too advanced for me and that I need something more to enrich my vocabulary and expressions. I had tried Linguaphone and Pimsleur, but quickly got bored with it because it assumes no previous knowledge of French and therefore badgers me with things I already know.
Any help appreciated, thank you.
1 person has voted this message useful

elvisrules
Tetraglot
BelgiumRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5251 days ago

286 posts - 390 votes 
Speaks: French, English*, Dutch, Flemish
Studies: Lowland Scots, Japanese, German

Message 2 of 13
21 January 2010 at 9:02pm | IP Logged 
I personally like FSI. I have done all the German Michel Thomas courses and started FSI a couple of weeks ago.
Not having done Michel Thomas it would have been quite intensive, but having well done so, you should get off to an easy start.

The_Beholder
Tetraglot
Croatia
Joined 5214 days ago

30 posts - 33 votes

Message 3 of 13
21 January 2010 at 10:14pm | IP Logged 
elvisrules wrote:
I personally like FSI. I have done all the German Michel Thomas courses and started FSI a couple of weeks ago.
Not having done Michel Thomas it would have been quite intensive, but having well done so, you should get off to an easy start.

Which version of FSI are you using? I've found the FSI website, and several versions are available for free download - Basic, FAST and few others.

Edited by The_Beholder on 21 January 2010 at 10:15pm

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5793 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 4 of 13
21 January 2010 at 10:31pm | IP Logged 
After completing the Spanish Foundation course, I used a verb tenses book from Practice Makes Perfect. It helped me learn to get the spelling right and in French that will be even more important, given how many things sound the same even though they are written differently.

Paskwc
Pentaglot
Canada
Joined 5459 days ago

450 posts - 624 votes 
Speaks: Hindi, Urdu*, Arabic (Levantine), French, English
Studies: Persian, Spanish

Message 5 of 13
21 January 2010 at 10:37pm | IP Logged 
The_Beholder wrote:
elvisrules wrote:
I personally like FSI. I have done all the
German Michel Thomas courses and started FSI a couple of weeks ago.
Not having done Michel Thomas it would have been quite intensive, but having well done
so, you should get off to an easy start.

Which version of FSI are you using? I've found the FSI website, and several versions are
available for free download - Basic, FAST and few others.

Basic is better for your purposes. Despite its name, it is quite comprehensive.

Edited by Paskwc on 21 January 2010 at 10:37pm

elvisrules
Tetraglot
BelgiumRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5251 days ago

286 posts - 390 votes 
Speaks: French, English*, Dutch, Flemish
Studies: Lowland Scots, Japanese, German

Message 6 of 13
21 January 2010 at 11:13pm | IP Logged 
I've only used the FSI for German, not for French. But the Basic course is the one to follow.
It seems like the FAST covers specific survival topics but doesn't go deep into the language/grammar.
The 'Introduction to French Phonology' seems to be extra help with pronounciation. You could use this on the side, with the Basic course, if you have problems with that.

Splog
Diglot
Czech Republic
anthonylauder.c
Joined 5451 days ago

1062 posts - 3263 votes 
Speaks: English*, Czech
Studies: Mandarin

Message 7 of 13
21 January 2010 at 11:35pm | IP Logged 
The_Beholder wrote:
I've completed Michel Thomas French (Foundation, Advanced, Builder and Vocabulary) and I'm wondering what program/method should I use after completing it? Michel Thomas recommended reading and listening to native material, but it seems to me that it's too advanced for me and that I need something more to enrich my vocabulary and expressions. I had tried Linguaphone and Pimsleur, but quickly got bored with it because it assumes no previous knowledge of French and therefore badgers me with things I already know.
Any help appreciated, thank you.

Michel Thomas himself, at the end of the advanced course, recommends that you read newspapers and magazines, and particularly interviews. That is, don't make courses the main focus, but move on to authentic material. Fully realising, of course, that you will not understand everything. Getting used to uncertainty is important.

Having said that, an excellent (and cheap) textbook that I highly recommend for those who have just finished Michel Thomas is: Collins French Conversation This book is very much in the Michel Thomas style, in that it focuses on building block of grammar and conversation. I think of it as putting in writing what Michel Thomas puts in words.

Additionally, as you know, Michel Thomas is very heavily focused on spoken french, but gives you no help with reading. Therefore, I would aim to strengthen the reading side of things with French for Reading which is one of the books I found most valuable in my own study of French. It is a superb book that teaches you not just vocab and grammar, but also how to sniff out clues to meaning, and generally to understand written material without understanding all the words.

Edited by Splog on 21 January 2010 at 11:57pm

The_Beholder
Tetraglot
Croatia
Joined 5214 days ago

30 posts - 33 votes

Message 8 of 13
22 January 2010 at 2:47pm | IP Logged 
Thank you all. :)