Tyr
Sweden
Joined 5575 days ago

316 posts - 384 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Swedish

Message 1 of 5
22 January 2010 at 4:23pm | IP Logged 
Sorry about this folks, I know those 'mwaaaa whats my name in Japanese stuff' is usually annoying but....yeah.
I have been told tarentoya translates into kanji as 达人洞爺. The only symbol there I recognise is 人 and two radicals in the others....and I'm pretty sure 人 isn't read as ren....I think...I can't remember its readings at all it was so long ago I studied Japanese....Isn't it said jin or somesuch?- meaning people and so nihonjin and the like.
Anyone whose Japanese isn't as rusy and is better than mine: what does this actually say?- gibberish of course but strictly phonetically.
I'm wondering if this is in anyway right or if a certain friend has took me for one of those complete fools who goes off and gets 'kung fu power' tatooed on their leg thinking it is their name (I'm not getting a tattoo, just curious)

And yeah, I know my name should be written in katakana which I can do but I'm investigating it in kanji just for the hell of it.
The major mystery is '达人' from what I can gather it seems to be a compound word meaning master but I can't find a pronounciation anywhere.

Sory about this, any help (even if you're just laughing at me) appreciated

Edited by Tyr on 22 January 2010 at 5:33pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Bao
Diglot
Germany
tinyurl.com/pe4kqe5
Joined 5559 days ago

2256 posts - 4046 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Spanish, Japanese, Mandarin

Message 2 of 5
22 January 2010 at 11:18pm | IP Logged 
What about it ... being a mix of Chinese and Japanese? In Mandarin, 达人 dárén could translate as 'master' (and be transcribed as taren) whereas the Japanese version should be 達人 tatsujin (達 is the more frequent variant in Japanese whereas 达 is cursive/simplified Chinese)
洞 is cave, dou in onyomi Japanese, dòng in Mandarin
爺 is old man/grandfather, ya in Japanese onyomi, yè in Mandarin
... so gibberish but one could claim it to mean 'the old hermit who's a master at something'

... just go with katakana, will you? It just doesn't look like a name.

Edited by Bao on 22 January 2010 at 11:32pm

Captain Haddock
Diglot
Japan
kanjicabinet.tumblr.
Joined 6561 days ago

2282 posts - 2814 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: French, Korean, Ancient Greek

Message 3 of 5
23 January 2010 at 5:14am | IP Logged 
Whoever suggested the kanji for your name looks like they spoke Chinese and not Japanese.

All I'd suggest, if you want it to look like an actual name, is that you use one of the "ya" characters that are often
used as suffixes in boys' names, like 也. At any rate, you need a real Japanese person to help you with it.

cameroncrc
Diglot
United States
Joined 6310 days ago

195 posts - 185 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: Ukrainian

Message 4 of 5
25 January 2010 at 11:24am | IP Logged 
I suggest you look at an online kanji dictinary and search each syllable individually. "Ta", "To", and "Ya" are quite common and you could have hundreds for each so it's best to choose a character that means something special to you. "ren" is less common so here's a start: 怜 (It means wise)

Tyr
Sweden
Joined 5575 days ago

316 posts - 384 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Swedish

Message 5 of 5
26 January 2010 at 12:58pm | IP Logged 
達人 tatsujin eh...ok, so I was right on the master angle.

Yeah, I should stick to katakana but kanji is cooler :p
I was just talking with a friend about whether our names meant something in other languages and Japanese came up and he came back with saying this was mine. I knew it was wrong quite soon after but I was still curious about what it was meaning.

Doing it myself I came to 田連島矢 which makes absolutely no sense (field group island arrow?) but meh. That wasn't the point of my investigation.

Thanks.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version