Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Korean learning materials recommendations?

Tags: Korean
 Language Learning Forum : Language Programs, Books & Tapes Post Reply
Wilco
Triglot
Canada
Joined 6110 days ago

160 posts - 247 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Russian

Message 1 of 7
22 January 2010 at 4:34pm | IP Logged 
There seems to be few quality textbooks for Korean, and almost none that is about the North Korean dialect. So what would be the best book for beginners?

Thanks!

Edited by Wilco on 22 January 2010 at 4:37pm

1 person has voted this message useful

unzum
Diglot
United Kingdom
soyouwanttolearnalan
Joined 6694 days ago

371 posts - 478 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: Mandarin

Message 2 of 7
22 January 2010 at 6:13pm | IP Logged 
Try this related thread here

But anyway, it doesn't seem like there is much if any materials for learning North Korean, but here's two wiki links explaining differences between North & South Korea here and here.

If you're looking for textbooks teaching North Korean there is almost probably none, unless you could get your hands on old textbooks from the Soviet Union teaching North Korean (although I don't even know whether they exist or not).

Anyway, if you're interested in learning Korean you may as well go for the dialect that produces a ton of interesting movies, dramas, music, literature etc, has an abundance of great learning materials, and belongs to a country that is open to travel and that doesn't send its citizens to gulags, i.e. standard South Korean :)

Wilco
Triglot
Canada
Joined 6110 days ago

160 posts - 247 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Russian

Message 3 of 7
23 January 2010 at 1:31am | IP Logged 
Thank you, unzum!

Actually, I was wondering if the Korean dialect spoken in Northeastern China is any different from the "official" language of North Korea? They certainly use many mandarin words, but to what degree is it different from the southern and northern version?

I am soon leaving for this area, and I guess studying the NK dialect would get me far in understanding the locals. Sadly, I didn't find any good material. But then, what would be the best books teaching South Korean? Is there any "ultimate material" for beginners (much like the Princeton Russian)?

goosefrabbas
Triglot
Pro Member
United States
Joined 6148 days ago

393 posts - 475 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish
Studies: German, Italian
Personal Language Map

Message 4 of 7
23 January 2010 at 4:07am | IP Logged 
For South Korean, you could use FSI Korean. It's been recently updated and the audio has been rerecorded for better sound quality. A popular text is Integrated Korean.

ChristopherB
Triglot
New Zealand
Joined 6096 days ago

851 posts - 1074 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: English*, German, French

Message 5 of 7
23 January 2010 at 7:27am | IP Logged 
Wilfried Herrmann's Lehrbuch der Modernen Koreanischen Sprache teaches North Korean dialect, and is also often touted as being the best method for learning Korean. But alas, the book is sadly all but non-existant anymore. I have the cassettes, but am still (hopelessly) searching for a copy of the book.

Edited by ChristopherB on 23 January 2010 at 7:28am

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5315 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Korean, Japanese

Message 7 of 7
24 January 2010 at 7:16am | IP Logged 
In Professor Arguelles' Youtube video review of the Dunwoody series (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDrUa3sw2vc), he made note of his own contributions to that book series, one of which was a Korean Newspaper Reader. The notable part, though, is that he used both North Korean and South Korean articles to compile the reader, so using that should be useful for learning some of the differences in terminology between the two regions.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version