Language Learning Forum : Language Programs, Books & Tapes Post Reply
liddytime
Pentaglot
United States
mainlymagyar.wordpre
Joined 6017 days ago

693 posts - 1328 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, Galician
Studies: Hungarian, Vietnamese, Modern Hebrew, Norwegian, Persian, Arabic (Written)

Message 1 of 3
22 January 2010 at 10:46pm | IP Logged 
Fat Tony,

Thanks a ton for putting up the DLI Haitian Creole Course!

Sadly, the audio quality of the files is really, really poor. Do you, or anyone else have better copies of the tapes? I
tried all my usual tricks with Audacity ( noise removal, Hi-pass filter, equalizer etc..) and it just made things worse.
Does anyone else know of any audacity tricks??

Thanks!!!
1 person has voted this message useful

emptysilo
United States
Joined 5262 days ago

4 posts - 5 votes
Speaks: English*

Message 2 of 3
24 January 2010 at 5:37pm | IP Logged 
Yea, I agree. I made a similar statement about two months ago about the tapes, but no replies either. The other course's audio quality, although not great, are decent. Only the Haitian Creole seems terrible from the few courses I looked at. That is too bad but at least it was free. Some of the audio is alright though and there is a lot of printed material.

My impression of these courses are they are not good first courses. I reviewed the DLI Indonesian course and do not believe it to be an effective first course at all. The course material is often pretty formal and does not give advice on word choice for example. The grammar material is sparse and not detailed enough for a beginner. I think the courses are good for review after completing another beginning course. Has different vocabulary (i.e. military) and more examples.

I don't know about the DFI Haitian Course's grammar section, but by a quick glance it seems similar to the Indonesian one although slightly more comprehensive. There are other courses out there that would be a better introduction I think. I think these courses are review for the classroom material and aren't designed to be self-sufficient. At least that is my impression.

ES.

Edited by emptysilo on 24 January 2010 at 5:41pm

liddytime
Pentaglot
United States
mainlymagyar.wordpre
Joined 6017 days ago

693 posts - 1328 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, Galician
Studies: Hungarian, Vietnamese, Modern Hebrew, Norwegian, Persian, Arabic (Written)

Message 3 of 3
24 January 2010 at 5:41pm | IP Logged 
emptysilo wrote:
Yea, I agree. I made a similar statement about two months ago about the tapes, but no
replies either. The other course's audio quality, although not great, are decent. Only the Haitian Creole seems
terrible from the few courses I looked at. That is too bad but at least it was free. Some of the audio is alright
though and there is a lot of printed material.

My impression of these courses are they are not good first courses. I reviewed the DLI Indonesian course and do
not believe it to be an effective first course at all. The course material is formal and does not give advice on word
choice for example. The grammar material is sparse and not detailed enough for a beginner. I think the courses
are good for review after completing another beginning course. Has different vocabulary (i.e. military) and more
examples.

ES.

Yeah, I agree. I got a copy of "ann pale kreyol" which seems to be a much better starter course and the audio is
great. The voices on the tapes were supposedly actors and radio stars from Haiti.

If I need more than the basics I'll probably go back to DLI for reference.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version