Denmark
Joined 5577 days ago

177 posts - 218 votes 
Speaks: Danish*

Message 1 of 28
24 January 2010 at 1:56am | IP Logged 
Why? Read this, very true, blog!

http://pepper.idge.net/japanese/
"Don't worry, however, since you'll never have to use kanji in "real life", since most
Japanese gave up on reading a long, long time ago, and now spend most of their time
playing Pokemon..."

http://pepper.idge.net/japanese/

Edited by Amoore on 24 January 2010 at 2:04am

7 persons have voted this message useful

Johntm
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5229 days ago

616 posts - 725 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 2 of 28
24 January 2010 at 4:00am | IP Logged 
Read this before, it's hilarious. If you can't take a joke, don't read it.
1 person has voted this message useful

GeekGuy
China
Joined 5244 days ago

21 posts - 23 votes
Studies: French

Message 3 of 28
24 January 2010 at 8:57am | IP Logged 
The writing system in Japanese is a little similar to that in Chinese. The few Japanese people I encountered did not seem to even exert themselves when taking Mandrin Chinese. They were just coasting, and perhaps could have done even better if pushed I suppose. But it is pretty easy when you begin with your Japanese curriculum. But the more you learn , the more you will find it complicated.Do need to possess courage to be prepared for the future challenge and get ready to take pains when you are determined to take Japanese.

I do not pretend to be a linguist, but I cannot deny the fact that I like the Japanese language, and suppose it is one of the advanced languages in the world. I have not decided to take this language though. Except for few things I would not like to cover , after all so many people are fascinated with it and I just hope to learn some languages that are not that popular.

Captain Haddock
Diglot
Japan
kanjicabinet.tumblr.
Joined 6575 days ago

2282 posts - 2814 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: French, Korean, Ancient Greek

Message 4 of 28
24 January 2010 at 10:58am | IP Logged 
The nice thing about learning Japanese is that once you do, you know you can learn any language. :)
2 persons have voted this message useful

nadia
Triglot
Groupie
Russian Federation
Joined 5321 days ago

50 posts - 98 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English, French
Studies: Hindi

Message 5 of 28
24 January 2010 at 1:15pm | IP Logged 
Well, that was an absolutely hilarious read, thanks for sharing it, Amoore, but I do wish the author gave us a bit more on the "rewarding" side of learning Japanese. It doesn't look as though he/she is really in love with the culture... :(

Sennin
Bulgaria
Joined 5841 days ago

1457 posts - 1759 votes 
5 sounds

Message 6 of 28
24 January 2010 at 3:51pm | IP Logged 
Captain Haddock wrote:
The nice thing about learning Japanese is that once you do, you know you can learn any language. :)

This is so encouraging, haha...

Johntm
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5229 days ago

616 posts - 725 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 7 of 28
24 January 2010 at 8:08pm | IP Logged 
nadia wrote:
It doesn't look as though he/she is really in love with the culture... :(

Quote:
Author's Note:This whole essay, although sprinkled with truisms here and there, is a joke and should be taken like one. I'm actually a Japanese major myself, and even if I've given it a bit of a hard time, I love the Japanese language, and I think everyone should give it a try.

That was a copy/paste from the article, the author is a Japanese major, so I would assume they would love, or at least like, the culture.

nadia
Triglot
Groupie
Russian Federation
Joined 5321 days ago

50 posts - 98 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English, French
Studies: Hindi

Message 8 of 28
25 January 2010 at 6:26am | IP Logged 
Johntm wrote:
That was a copy/paste from the article, the author is a Japanese major, so I would assume they would love, or at least like, the culture.

Yes, I saw that passage but it didn't look convincing. As I said, I wish he/she would have elaborated on the good points... Of which there were none mentioned. Otherwise it was a great read but just a tiny wee lil bit discouraging. Well, nope, I hope I will get to Japanese one day, whacky cuisine and grammar and all...

I majored in French but the forcing of French culture down my throat didn't do anything for me. I was in love with English at the time. While everyone was listening to French songs I was reading the Brontes and so on. Only after the uni, I started to admire the French culture. :) So majoring in smth doesn't necessarily mean loving it.

The reason I'm writing this is that a similar article could be written about my country/language/culture and I'm not sure I'd be able to take the criticism/joking without the good sides mentioned. I like very much the series of small books called "The Xenophobes Guide to...", like this one about Russians -- they are also very jokey but not really xenophobic.

Edited by nadia on 25 January 2010 at 6:45am

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 28 messages over 4 pages: 2 3 4  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version