Diglot
United States
Joined 5259 days ago

769 posts - 962 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Spanish, Russian, Polish, Modern Hebrew

Message 1 of 3
24 January 2010 at 5:59pm | IP Logged 
I had a few questions about the use of Cortina Russian. They don't provide any solid instructions for how to go about using the pattern drills. I was wondering if anyone could enlighten me as to how I should go about using these. I just don't understand how I should do this, especially since they are what I am using to practice.
1 person has voted this message useful

OlafP
Triglot
Germany
Joined 5213 days ago

261 posts - 667 votes 
Speaks: German*, French, English

Message 2 of 3
24 January 2010 at 6:36pm | IP Logged 
If you had scrolled down a bit to the thread "The Cortina Method" you would have found the same question. Until now nobody has come up with a solution. Meanwhile I found a very old Spanish version of the book on archive.org that contains an introduction. There the author writes that the monolingual drills are meant to be translated to your L1 by writing them down. In the next step you would translate them back and compare your results to the book. That's what I'm going to do. It seems a bit awkward for us spoiled brats these days, but the alternative would have been that they include fewer examples to make room for translations. I think it's a lot better the way it is.

ruskivyetr
Diglot
United States
Joined 5259 days ago

769 posts - 962 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Spanish, Russian, Polish, Modern Hebrew

Message 3 of 3
24 January 2010 at 6:47pm | IP Logged 
OlafP wrote:
If you had scrolled down a bit to the thread "The Cortina Method" you would have found the same question. Until now nobody has come up with a solution. Meanwhile I found a very old Spanish version of the book on archive.org that contains an introduction. There the author writes that the monolingual drills are meant to be translated to your L1 by writing them down. In the next step you would translate them back and compare your results to the book. That's what I'm going to do. It seems a bit awkward for us spoiled brats these days, but the alternative would have been that they include fewer examples to make room for translations. I think it's a lot better the way it is.

Thanks a ton! So they are translation exercises. That seems much less boring than pattern drills (no sarcasm intended).

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version