Diglot
United States
Joined 6206 days ago

18 posts - 18 votes
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Russian, German

Message 1 of 12
27 January 2010 at 11:24pm | IP Logged 
I have been studying Spanish for several years and I am near the point of fluency. I will continue to read and watch movies in Spanish, but I want to persue Italian now. What would be the best way to do it, considering that I have already studied Spanish? I would rather use cheap or free methods if at all possible. Plus, any other advice? Anything I should look out for when learning? Will the Spanish handicap me in any way?

Thanks,
Peter
1 person has voted this message useful

ewomahony
Diglot
Groupie
England
Joined 5375 days ago

91 posts - 115 votes 
Studies: Italian, French, Afrikaans

Message 2 of 12
27 January 2010 at 11:41pm | IP Logged 
I actively study both Spanish and Italian, and I've never found one a handicap when learning the other, so long as I concentrate on what I'm doing.

datsunking1
Diglot
United States
Joined 5378 days ago

1014 posts - 1533 votes 
Studies: German, Russian, Dutch, French

Message 3 of 12
27 January 2010 at 11:47pm | IP Logged 
Knowledge of Spanish will actually help you, as the grammar is very similar.

I recommend Berlitz: Italian Self Teacher ($5 or less from amazon), and Assimil Italian With Ease ($33 from amazon.com)

Personally, I'd try to listen to Italian as much as possible to get the rhythm and intonation right. I like listening to music in Italian also, its much more fun than listening to boring talk radio.

Search youtube for helpful Italian lessons, and add a couple friends on a social networking site like facebook or myspace from an Italian speaking region.

Members here will be more than happy to help you with your studies!!

Best of luck to you!
Jordan

Edited by datsunking1 on 27 January 2010 at 11:47pm

BartoG
Diglot
United States
confession
Joined 5240 days ago

292 posts - 818 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Italian, Spanish, Latin, Uzbek

Message 4 of 12
28 January 2010 at 12:58am | IP Logged 
I would check out this thread for pluses and minuses of learning one language very similar to another language you already know:

http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?T ID=18971&PN=1

In particular, I would recommend Iverson's note (comment 6) on how to take your studies slowly. This will allow you to use your Spanish as a tool in understanding Italian more easily without treating it as just a variation of Spanish and getting the two confused.

There is one other thing I would suggest, though it might seem a bit odd: I would try to make some subtle variations in how I speak Italian, where and when I study, that sort of thing. Part of your command of a language comes from what you study of it, but another part comes from how you have lived it. If the "you" who speaks Italian has a slightly different manner, routine and associations from the "you" who speaks Spanish, it will be easier to keep them straight.
3 persons have voted this message useful

katilica
Bilingual Diglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 5264 days ago

70 posts - 109 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish*
Studies: French, Catalan

Message 5 of 12
28 January 2010 at 1:04am | IP Logged 
datsunking1 wrote:

Yeah it is. I had seconds thoughts on whether to put yes instead of yeah but i'll go with my colloquial English on this one. Anyways, it is true that Italian grammar is similar to Spanish grammar so you will be a little familiar with its structure. I would recommend going over to ielanguage'sItalian tutorial to get a hang of the language. I personally frequent this site a lot since it's very well organized but I use it for French because it is by far the most extensive tutorial and has audio, phonetics, etc. The Italian one however, is quite good as well. The site's author has also been converting FSI Italian into HTML along with sound files and exercises. Believe me, it is much neater than going over to the free FSI site. It is still a work in progress however so not all of the lessons are up. On the far right side of the page (the link I gave you) there where will be a section called, 'other useful links' where there are several free Italian sites listed. I really recommend the BBC site and the spelling and pronounciation dictionary which is truly amazing. There are a lot of other great sites on there as well so take the time to check them all out. I hoped this helped in some form or way. Anyways, good luck.

Quabazaa
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 5402 days ago

414 posts - 543 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, German, French
Studies: Japanese, Korean, Maori, Scottish Gaelic, Arabic (Levantine), Arabic (Egyptian), Arabic (Written)

Message 6 of 12
28 January 2010 at 1:10am | IP Logged 
I am also wanting to learn a bit of Italian after mastering Spanish. One thing I think it is a good idea to get a handle on are false friends!

Wikipedia Falsos Amigos
Aula Facil

datsunking1
Diglot
United States
Joined 5378 days ago

1014 posts - 1533 votes 
Studies: German, Russian, Dutch, French

Message 7 of 12
28 January 2010 at 2:34pm | IP Logged 
katilica wrote:
datsunking1 wrote:

Yeah it is. I had seconds thoughts on whether to put yes instead of yeah but i'll go with my colloquial English on this one. Anyways, it is true that Italian grammar is similar to Spanish grammar so you will be a little familiar with its structure. I would recommend going over to ielanguage'sItalian tutorial to get a hang of the language. I personally frequent this site a lot since it's very well organized but I use it for French because it is by far the most extensive tutorial and has audio, phonetics, etc. The Italian one however, is quite good as well. The site's author has also been converting FSI Italian into HTML along with sound files and exercises. Believe me, it is much neater than going over to the free FSI site. It is still a work in progress however so not all of the lessons are up. On the far right side of the page (the link I gave you) there where will be a section called, 'other useful links' where there are several free Italian sites listed. I really recommend the BBC site and the spelling and pronounciation dictionary which is truly amazing. There are a lot of other great sites on there as well so take the time to check them all out. I hoped this helped in some form or way. Anyways, good luck.

I've heard FSI Italian was HORRIBLE. No where near the standard of the other courses, can anyone confirm this? I have a Barrons mastering Italian book that I bought for 4 dollars. Would it make better firewood?

GauchoBoaCepa
Triglot
Brazil
Joined 5212 days ago

172 posts - 199 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, English, Spanish

Message 8 of 12
28 January 2010 at 2:56pm | IP Logged 
It may be puzzling at first but if you pratically master Spanish I think you' won't have problems to learn it....I hope to do the same soon

This discussion contains 12 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version