Heptaglot
Japan
Joined 6899 days ago

287 posts - 452 votes 
Speaks: English*, Russian, Indonesian, French, Malay, Japanese, Spanish
Studies: Dutch, Korean, Mongolian

Message 1 of 53
31 January 2010 at 6:46pm | IP Logged 
I've made no secret of the fact that I dislike Rosetta Stone's overpriced, gimmicky products, but I've just come across even more reason to be wary, and spend that $500 on something else. The following review was recently posted on Amazon.com (source in URL). I'll post it here because I don't imagine it will last long without the RS cyber-goon-squad breathing on Amazon's spectacles and pushing for deletion:

(one star) Don't buy, January 25, 2010
By Jeff (Los Angeles, CA) - See all my reviews

I purchased the program, but found it confusing and hard to navigate. Poor program overall. Worse, when I attempted to sell on Ebay, Rosetta Stone canceled the auction. You DON'T own the program even if you purchase - Rosetta claims ownership and will threaten to sue if you try to sell, even if the product was never used. I will never buy their products.

http://www.amazon.com/Rosetta-Stone-Spanish-America-Companio n/product-reviews/B001AFFZM2/ref=cm_cr_dp_synop?ie=UTF8&show Viewpoints=0&sortBy=bySubmissionDateDescending#RO74TDDM3SEI1

So, you can't resell it, and I believe you cannot return a software item to Amazon on grounds of dissatisfaction, only for a faulty product.

You have been warned!
27 persons have voted this message useful

Kinan
Diglot
Syrian Arab Republic
Joined 5344 days ago

234 posts - 279 votes 
Speaks: Arabic (Written)*, English
Studies: Russian, Spanish

Message 2 of 53
31 January 2010 at 7:44pm | IP Logged 
Rosseta Stone is not hard to navigate and i found it useful but it's annoying to not be able to resell it.
2 persons have voted this message useful

translator2
United States
Joined 6697 days ago

848 posts - 1862 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 3 of 53
01 February 2010 at 1:03am | IP Logged 
Does Rosetta Stone use the same interface/program for all the languages or is the program re-designed/re-worked for the peculiarities and structure of each language?
1 person has voted this message useful

goosefrabbas
Triglot
Pro Member
United States
Joined 6146 days ago

393 posts - 475 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish
Studies: German, Italian
Personal Language Map

Message 4 of 53
01 February 2010 at 4:08am | IP Logged 
From what I've seen, it's about the same in all (or almost all) the languages. The first lessons are all the same.

meramarina
Diglot
United States
Joined 5745 days ago

1341 posts - 2303 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: German, Italian, French
Personal Language Map

Message 5 of 53
01 February 2010 at 4:32am | IP Logged 
I've never used Rosetta Stone, it's far too expensive for me. The company must have an enormous advertising budget, though; lately it seems that the huge vivid yellow sales display in the bookstore just gets bigger and bigger. During the holiday season there was a Rosetta Stone language-learning kiosk set up at a local shopping center.

Is it really $500.00? I know it's really pricey, but that seems exorbitant.

BaldOldWhiteGuy
United States
Joined 5556 days ago

5 posts - 15 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Spanish, French

Message 6 of 53
01 February 2010 at 7:37pm | IP Logged 
I noticed the same thing with the used Fluenz auctions... all of a sudden they disappeared.

I guess I'm sticking with Pimsleur and Assimil, as I refuse to buy something if the company wants to enact draconian policies against the buyer.

Screw 'em.
7 persons have voted this message useful

datsunking1
Diglot
United States
Joined 5363 days ago

1014 posts - 1533 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: German, Russian, Dutch, French

Message 7 of 53
01 February 2010 at 7:45pm | IP Logged 
meramarina wrote:
I've never used Rosetta Stone, it's far too expensive for me. The company must have an enormous advertising budget, though; lately it seems that the huge vivid yellow sales display in the bookstore just gets bigger and bigger. During the holiday season there was a Rosetta Stone language-learning kiosk set up at a local shopping center.

Is it really $500.00? I know it's really pricey, but that seems exorbitant.

$500 is only for a few levels I believe. The full Spanish course is close to $800!

Think about how many assimil programs you could buy!
:D

I've used rosetta stone. If you're at an intermediate level, it's fine, but going blindly into it is a HUGE mistake. No grammar, no translations, Really basic stuff. Put your money else where... for that price you could probably GO TO THE COUNTRY!

2 persons have voted this message useful

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5789 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 8 of 53
01 February 2010 at 9:49pm | IP Logged 
translator2 wrote:
Does Rosetta Stone use the same interface/program for all the languages or is the program re-designed/re-worked for the peculiarities and structure of each language?

Historically, they were completely identical.

I've been told there's now three (I think) different sets of graphics, but that the courses are still identical.

This discussion contains 53 messages over 7 pages: 2 3 4 5 6 7  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version