42 messages over 6 pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Марк
Russian Federation
Joined 4850 days ago

2096 posts - 2972 votes 
Speaks: Russian*

Message 41 of 42
09 March 2013 at 7:54am | IP Logged 
Learning vocabulary is a bigger problem than learning grammar, so vocabulary is more
important.
3 persons have voted this message useful

ling
Diglot
Groupie
Taiwan
Joined 4380 days ago

61 posts - 94 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin
Studies: Indonesian, Thai

Message 42 of 42
09 March 2013 at 12:48pm | IP Logged 
The following is based on my personal learning experiences.

Native speaker: English

1 cactus: Indonesian, Esperanto
2 cacti: Spanish
3 cacti: German, French, Thai
3.5 cacti: Mandarin, Cantonese
4 cacti: Turkish, Taiwanese
5 cacti: Latin, Arabic

Indonesian is perhaps the easiest language I've ever studied. With minimal effort I was
able to learn enough to hold simple conversations with locals in Indonesia. I was
amazed at how much I could understand. Simple grammar, easy pronunciation, highly
phonetic (though the letter "e" has two different sounds). It's almost a matter of
memorizing vocabulary and stringing words together. The hardest parts are some of the
affixes (when to use men-, ber-, -nya etc.) but these can be gotten around and them
mastered through practice.

Esperanto: having studied Spanish, French and German, and being a native English
speaker, Esperanto (in my limited dabbling) seems a highly manageable language to me.

Spanish: one of the easiest of the European languages, with very simple and regular
pronunciation rules.

German and French took some serious effort. My recollections of learning the languages
in high school is that of drudgery. But much of it is dormant in the nether regions of
my brain.

Thai: it comes relatively easy to me after having studied Chinese. There are many
grammatical concepts that are similar to Chinese (measure words, aspect, sentence-final
particles), but the grammar is a bit closer to English, especially with its ability to
create relative clauses easily (unlike Chinese). It's tonal, like Chinese, but has an
alphabet. The large number of pronouns can be intimidating. Men and women speak
differently.

Mandarin: many people rate it as 5 cacti, but I find it nowhere near as difficult. The
grammar is very simple: no conjugations, tenses, moods, cases, etc. Very few
irregularities. It's tonal, but you get used to it. The hardest aspect of Mandarin is
the characters, but learning them is not as daunting as one may imagine. Chengyu (4-
character idioms) can be hard because they're countless, but they're not necessary and
can be looked up easily. Spicing up your discourse with a few chengyu can impress.

Cantonese: for those who already know Mandarin, Cantonese is a quick study, being the
most closely related major language to Mandarin.

Taiwanese: harder than Mandarin or Cantonese because of the complex tone sandhi, some
difficult sounds (which vary according to who is speaks it), and its lack of a
standardized writing system.

Turkish: the seemingly endless agglutinative forms make it tough. But I haven't studied
enough of it to judge well.

Latin: one of the toughest languages I ever studied. Noun cases (each with multiple
uses), verb conjugations (a myriad endings carrying information including tense,
aspect, mood, number, person, active/passive), etc. Lots of irregularities, lots of
exceptions, etc. Much of my problem learning it, however, lay in the crappy way the
class was taught.

Arabic: God oh god! Aaaarrrrggghhhh!

Edited by ling on 09 March 2013 at 12:55pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 42 messages over 6 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version