22 messages over 3 pages: 1 2
sammiad
United Kingdom
Joined 5270 days ago

26 posts - 28 votes
Studies: English*, Spanish, Japanese

Message 17 of 22
02 March 2010 at 10:53pm | IP Logged 
I'm currently reading Japanese With Ease, and i think i should be repeating the lessons more. I tend to shadow and first off read the japanese (the romanji actually, becuase its hard not too when its printed below) and then again reading the literal translation.

I just wondered do you do the 30mins in one session ? I'm a little split over doing it several times in a row or later the same day.

1 person has voted this message useful

kmart
Australia
Joined 5935 days ago

194 posts - 400 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian

Message 18 of 22
05 March 2010 at 11:26am | IP Logged 
datsunking1 wrote:

Trust me, It will never get old. hahahah I LOVE getting new material in the mail. :D

I buy a lot of second-hand stuff from the USA that the sellers won't ship internationally so I get it sent to my daughter's address in Maryland. As soon as we arrive for our annual visit my first words are "Give me my goodies!" (Well, the most recent trips have been "Give me my granddaughter! And my goodies!")
;-)

coyote
Diglot
United States
Joined 6053 days ago

32 posts - 34 votes
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French

Message 19 of 22
09 March 2010 at 1:35am | IP Logged 
There are a variety of ways of using Assimil. Following are all the types of study available:
--Reading silently the Target Language
--Reading the TL while speaking it
--Reading the English text
--Listening to the TL
--Listening to the TL while reading it silently
--Listening to the TL while reading it aloud
--Listening to the TL and speaking it simultaneously (shadowing)
--Oral & written exercises
--Grammar
The reading and listening exercises may be mixed up as you like; however, it's good to try to incorporate them all, if you have time, into a particular lesson. By the end of the lesson, you should be able to listen to the recording and understand most of it without the aid of the text--either the TL text or the English text. There's nothing wrong with memorizing (or internalizing) the text, though that takes more time. Personally, I prefer to learn as much as I can of a particular lesson, before going forward, which I guess violates the "passive-active" structure of the program. The main thing is that Assimil is a wonderful resource, and you don't have to follow the course directions. Just find out what works for you, and practice.
3 persons have voted this message useful

datsunking1
Diglot
United States
Joined 5396 days ago

1014 posts - 1533 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: German, Russian, Dutch, French

Message 20 of 22
09 March 2010 at 2:39am | IP Logged 
kmart wrote:
datsunking1 wrote:

Trust me, It will never get old. hahahah I LOVE getting new material in the mail. :D

I buy a lot of second-hand stuff from the USA that the sellers won't ship internationally so I get it sent to my daughter's address in Maryland. As soon as we arrive for our annual visit my first words are "Give me my goodies!" (Well, the most recent trips have been "Give me my granddaughter! And my goodies!")
;-)

Hahahaha :D I'm just up north in Pittsburgh! Maryland is very nice! My dad is from Cumberland, Maryland!

Luk
Triglot
Groupie
Argentina
Joined 5146 days ago

91 posts - 127 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English, French
Studies: Italian, German, Mandarin, Greek

Message 21 of 22
21 July 2010 at 10:04pm | IP Logged 
I have found several errors in my El nuevo Italiano sin esfuerzo. The numbers of the notes are wrong sometimes; I found an exercise which task was in French (it is supposed to be an Italian/Spanish book), and the answer was (fill!) in Spanish. Now, I'm starting to worry because I found two verbs (also in the exercises) in Italian which had the wrong conjugation form. So far I can work with it although I'm a little disappointed.
I hope that's the end of it. If I found more mistakes, I'll let you guys know (if you're interested)

Edited by Luk on 21 July 2010 at 11:01pm

flydream777
Triglot
United States
Joined 6302 days ago

77 posts - 102 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French
Studies: German, Russian, Portuguese, Mandarin, Greek, Hungarian, Armenian, Irish, Italian

Message 22 of 22
21 July 2010 at 11:14pm | IP Logged 
Yeah in most of their courses that have been translated, there are a few typos

This discussion contains 22 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 1 2

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version