Wilco
Triglot
Canada
Joined 6137 days ago

160 posts - 247 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Russian

Message 9 of 14
11 February 2010 at 6:26am | IP Logged 
About the subtitles - is this a mainland thing, or do they subtitle everything in Singapour, HK, Taiwan and Japan?
1 person has voted this message useful

Ari
Heptaglot
Norway
Joined 6389 days ago

2314 posts - 5695 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin, Cantonese
Studies: Czech, Latin, German

Message 10 of 14
11 February 2010 at 7:00am | IP Logged 
Wilco wrote:
About the subtitles - is this a mainland thing, or do they subtitle everything in Singapour, HK, Taiwan and Japan?

All I know is there are a lot of movies circulating the web with traditional subtitles (as opposed to simplified, which is used on the mainland).

Pyx
Diglot
China
Joined 5542 days ago

670 posts - 892 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: Mandarin

Message 11 of 14
11 February 2010 at 7:10am | IP Logged 
I have no idea about Japan, and I'm not sure about singapore, but it's certainly standard for the mainland, HK, and TW

IronFist
United States
Joined 6244 days ago

663 posts - 941 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Korean

Message 12 of 14
11 February 2010 at 7:18am | IP Logged 
Pyx wrote:
Wait, you're a 'classically trained musician' and you're listening to Rammstein? Heh.. :-D

Hey! :P

Some of their music is actually pretty well-composed :D

As for Chinese, I never said you had to sing the language, but I just figured if a word is a falling tone, but the note that you are singing that word over in the song is rising in pitch, that it must totally mess up the meaning of the word because it's no longer a falling tone, it's a rising tone.

Ari
Heptaglot
Norway
Joined 6389 days ago

2314 posts - 5695 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin, Cantonese
Studies: Czech, Latin, German

Message 13 of 14
11 February 2010 at 7:21am | IP Logged 
Also: Mandarin singing does not only disregard tones, but also stress patterns. You'll commonly find stress put on neutral tones (which are by definition unstressed) and the stress changed on other words, too. Take "happy birthday", for example. In English, it goes "Happy BIRTHday to you" Singing, with the same melody, "Good birthDAY to you, sir" or something similar would sound off, since it messes with the stress patterns in English. Mandarin doesn't care, though. It's "Zhu ni SHENGri kuaile", despite the fact that the stress in the word sheng1ri4 is, I would argue, on the second syllable. Cantonese has, I believe, no version of this song, since it wouldn't work with the tones (and stress patterns?).

All this makes Mandarin music of any genre an … aqcuired taste (I have not yet acquired it). Luckily for people such as me, there's Chinese rap, which of course preserves the tones. Just check out this awesome rap.

Pyx
Diglot
China
Joined 5542 days ago

670 posts - 892 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: Mandarin

Message 14 of 14
11 February 2010 at 7:23am | IP Logged 
IronFist wrote:
Pyx wrote:
Wait, you're a 'classically trained musician' and you're listening to Rammstein? Heh.. :-D

Hey! :P

Some of their music is actually pretty well-composed :D

As for Chinese, I never said you had to sing the language, but I just figured if a word is a falling tone, but the note that you are singing that word over in the song is rising in pitch, that it must totally mess up the meaning of the word because it's no longer a falling tone, it's a rising tone.

I didn't mean you, just in general :)

This discussion contains 14 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version