Diglot
Australia
Joined 6506 days ago

495 posts - 599 votes 
Speaks: English*, Hungarian
Studies: French, German

Message 1 of 16
10 February 2010 at 10:07pm | IP Logged 
Hi Everyone! I was in the library yesterday, having a peak around... and I found Hugo in 3 months for German. Anyone ever used this program? What's it like? It has 2 books (looks like one beginner and one advanced booklet) and 6 CDs.

I'd love to hear from anyone with experience of the program! (If it is a good resource, I wouldn't mind making it part of my 'English' studies of German!)
1 person has voted this message useful

Johntm
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5210 days ago

616 posts - 725 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 2 of 16
11 February 2010 at 5:55am | IP Logged 
Should be peek.
I'm using Hugo in 3 Months for Spanish and I like it. I like to read through the book, listen to the audio while reading the book, and then just listen to the audio. I like to use Pimsleur too because of course just one course won't do it all. But you said "part of your English studies of German" so you must be using Hungarian resources.
Anyway good luck.

Katie
Diglot
Australia
Joined 6506 days ago

495 posts - 599 votes 

Message 3 of 16
11 February 2010 at 11:54am | IP Logged 
Thanks Johntm :) I started it today. I haven't done enough of it to pass judgement on it yet, but I'll be sure to leave feedback on the site for others :)

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5799 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 4 of 16
11 February 2010 at 6:28pm | IP Logged 
I've never been able to stand the Hugo series because of the "imitated pronunciation" thing that relies on the student having a particular type of accent to start off with in English...

Katie
Diglot
Australia
Joined 6506 days ago

495 posts - 599 votes 

Message 5 of 16
11 February 2010 at 9:05pm | IP Logged 
Cainntear, I've notice this too! I pay absolutely no attention to it. This program has the CDs with it (I borrowed it from the library) - so I've just listened to those for pronunciation. But so far, it seems really boring! :S

I'll be finding myself a book store in the next week or so, I think! And trying to find a copy of Teach Yourself German! At least I know I enjoy this series!

Johntm
Joined 5210 days ago

616 posts - 725 votes 

Message 6 of 16
11 February 2010 at 11:13pm | IP Logged 
They tell you to imitate pronunciation (or something)? I skipped right to lesson one, I skipped the alphabet (I pretty much know what they call each letter), the pronunciation (I pretty much know that, I know a lot of Spanish speakers), and whatever else. Right to week one.

Katie
Diglot
Australia
Joined 6506 days ago

495 posts - 599 votes 

Message 7 of 16
12 February 2010 at 4:40am | IP Logged 
Johntm, I'll keep going and give it a chance - will let you know! I notice there is a lot of differences between the languages within the same programs.. perhaps this is just one of 'those' languages - or of course, we may just have different learning styles!

I just bought a book this morning called "Collins Easy Learning German Grammar"... and I love it! I had a quick read of it despite it being my Hungarian day (I wasn't going to buy it without having actually looked at it! LOL) and it looks really good! Of course, it's just grammar, but anyway!

Oh and I had to order in Teach Yourself because they didn't have it in stock. It should be here in a week or two.

The annoying thing is, I have a copy of TY SOMEWHERE in storage, but it has been there for about 5 years, so apart from being almost impossible to find, I'm sure that it'll be ruined by now! If only I knew I'd want to learn German when I was packing, 5 years ago! :P

Johntm
Joined 5210 days ago

616 posts - 725 votes 

Message 8 of 16
12 February 2010 at 4:58am | IP Logged 
Anyway good luck, I hope I can get back to using Hugo regularly, right now I'm only using Pimsleur and listening to Spanish music regularly. I hope you like Hugo in 3 Months

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 16 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version