United States
Joined 6128 days ago

393 posts - 475 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish
Studies: German, Italian
Personal Language Map

Message 9 of 16
12 February 2010 at 5:15am | IP Logged 
I've used Hugo a few times. Their Russian course is almost a copy of the New Penguin Russian Course. It's not as substantive, but it has audio, whereas Penguin's course does not. Their Advanced French course seems to be pretty good, but I can't say for sure because I haven't gone through much of it yet.
1 person has voted this message useful

fanatic
Octoglot
Australia
speedmathematics.com
Joined 6906 days ago

1152 posts - 1817 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, French, Afrikaans, Italian, Spanish, Russian, Dutch
Studies: Swedish, Norwegian, Polish, Modern Hebrew, Malay, Mandarin, Esperanto

Message 10 of 16
12 February 2010 at 7:35am | IP Logged 
I bought a copy of the book for Hugo German at an op shop last week for 50 cents. I borrowed the audio from the library.

It appears to be OK but, as you say, not really interesting. I was intrigued by some of the explanations for pronunciation which I hadn't come across elsewhere, mainly the glottal stop. That is something I had copied without thinking about it.

I still like the Assimil German (Without Toil) which I used to learn and also the Lewis Robbins course. I don't have much in the way of German courses. I went straight from Assimil to reading and writing reports for my company in Germany and translating the technical English text. I did buy a couple of grammar books and discussed grammar with Germans when I could. I think I felt that was enough.

Still, I think you will find the Hugo course to be helpful.

I wish you well with it.

zerothinking
Australia
Joined 6132 days ago

528 posts - 772 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 11 of 16
12 February 2010 at 10:20am | IP Logged 
I used the French one back in 2007 when I was learning French. You can go through the
whole thing in about a month if you want. It's a very good general over view of French
grammar and usage. After I went through a grammar book from cover to cover which I highly
recommend. Read mostly the example sentences not worrying so much if you don't get why or
understand the explanations. The point it to be aware of all the language's grammatical
structures.

Edited by zerothinking on 12 February 2010 at 10:21am

2 persons have voted this message useful

ChristopherB
Triglot
New Zealand
Joined 6076 days ago

851 posts - 1074 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: English*, German, French

Message 12 of 16
12 February 2010 at 10:32am | IP Logged 
I have the Hugo course for Russian, but I bought it mainly for review. I wouldn't personally use it as my main resource. I think courses like Assimil or Linguaphone would far better serve in terms of getting a thorough grounding, though Hugo do provide good bird's-eye overviews of the grammar. Is Hugo your only resource for German?
2 persons have voted this message useful

Katie
Diglot
Australia
Joined 6478 days ago

495 posts - 599 votes 
Speaks: English*, Hungarian
Studies: French, German

Message 13 of 16
12 February 2010 at 12:03pm | IP Logged 
ChristopherB wrote:
Is Hugo your only resource for German?

As I only really started studying German this week, it was my only resource... until I went shopping today. I bought the "Collins Easy Learning German Grammar" book and ordered Teach Yourself German (I've had this book before - it's just lost in storage somewhere - so it was easier to buy it again).

I've also downloaded FSI and I bought Michel Thomas a long time ago.

ChristopherB
Triglot
New Zealand
Joined 6076 days ago

851 posts - 1074 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: English*, German, French

Message 14 of 16
14 February 2010 at 12:19pm | IP Logged 
I think using Hugo and Teach Yourself will give a good grounding in the language. I haven't personally used the Assimil course, but I've heard only good things about it, so if you happen to come across a copy of it, you would be well served I think.

tractor
Tetraglot
Norway
Joined 5213 days ago

1349 posts - 2292 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, Spanish, Catalan
Studies: French, German, Latin

Message 15 of 16
14 February 2010 at 12:26pm | IP Logged 
ChristopherB wrote:
I haven't personally used the Assimil course, but I've heard only good things about it, so if
you happen to come across a copy of it, you would be well served I think.

I'm currently using both the old Assimil German without Toil and the newer Assimil German with Ease, and I think
both are brilliant.

Tafa
Diglot
South Africa
Joined 5206 days ago

1 posts - 1 votes
Speaks: Afrikaans*, English
Studies: Xhosa, Lingala, French, Mandarin, Korean, Vietnamese

Message 16 of 16
15 February 2010 at 11:25pm | IP Logged 
I've used the Hugo German in 3 months course a few years ago as a complete beginner, and must say that I can highly recommend it. I thought they gave a very good explanation of the grammar (German is know for its challenging grammar), and I found the dialogues in the book very entertaining. I'm now also going to be using Hugo in 3 months for French and Mandarin.

This discussion contains 16 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version