Joined 7170 days ago

3094 posts - 2987 votes 
12 sounds
Speaks: French*, EnglishC2, German, Italian, Spanish, Russian
Personal Language Map

Message 17 of 39
09 May 2005 at 9:14am | IP Logged 
Ardaschir wrote:
I learned Portuguese simply by conversing with a Brazilian student a few hours each week. At first I blantly spoke Spanish, but I used her speech as a model for converting mine. I have since shadowed several methods and read a great deal in it and I now have semi-regular occasion to converse in it.

I did some field research in Romansch in a similar fashion (speaking Italian but converting it to the speech of my tutor), but only for a week and have not since kept it up.

Ardaschir, I am impressed to see that this method of learning languages is still practiced. When I read it in Russel's biography of Mezzofanti, I assumed it was possible only for him. Congratulations!

Here is the quote:

Mezzofanti wrote:
ONE evening about this time, Dr. Wiseman, meeting Mezzofanti in the Piazza di Spagna, inquired where he was going.

"To the Propaganda," he replied; "I have to give a lesson there."

"In what language ?" asked Dr. Wiseman.

"In Californian," said Mezzofanti. "I am teaching it to the Californian youths whom we have there."

"Californian!" exclaimed his friend, "From whom can you possibly have learned that out-of-the-way tongue ?"

"From themselves" replied Mezzofanti: "and now I am teaching it to them grammatically."

Click Here for the rest of this Mezzofanti anectode.

Edited by administrator on 09 May 2005 at 9:17am

3 persons have voted this message useful

Nephilim
Diglot
Poland
Joined 6939 days ago

363 posts - 368 votes 
Speaks: English*, Polish

Message 18 of 39
09 May 2005 at 4:26pm | IP Logged 
Dear Ardaschir,

Thank you for your detailed and very interesting response. It’s nice to have a rough idea of the time commitment involved in learning a language so that one can get some sort of system together and utilize both time and resources to the utmost. I fully take your point about the inefficiency of learning languages in school; I too was blessed (or cursed) with years of banal French lessons at school.

The writer Jerome K. Jerome in his book ‘Three men on the Bummel’ (I think) makes the observation that all schoolboys ever manage to gain from their French lessons is the ability to memorise a seemingly infinite amount of regular verbs and then they seem genuinely surprised that when they do finally get to France, ‘the French aren’t much interested in hearing their own irregular verbs from fourteen year old English schoolboys.’ A great book to read if you ever want to know how not to learn languages.

I like your idea of listening to tapes while running. I tried a similar thing in the gym whilst on the treadmill. I had the idea that I would do about 40 minutes a day on the treadmill and use the time to learn languages. I found it didn’t work so well for me because I always wanted to repeat or shadow the text and you can’t really do that in a public place with your walkman. I did, however find it useful listening to audio books in Polish whilst out walking in the forest – possibly because I felt it wasn’t actually a lesson and it was more for fun.

I’ve followed with interest your ideas on shadowing on other posts and it’s something I totally agree with, especially for low level learners to help with intonation and phrasing. I’ve often encouraged my elementary students to shadow the dialogues on their tapes in their free time mainly because with certain phrases the intonation is already built into the sound profile. For example, if we take a semi-fixed expression like Would you like + noun, there is really only one way you can say this if you are offering something to someone, the rising intonation is on the verb and it would be difficult to say it any other way without sounding totally ridiculous. I suppose this further re-enforces the point that you should always learn new words in set phrases to help with memorisation. I’m a big fan of shadowing and I’d definitely recommend it to help with pronunciation and speaking.

I remember from one of your other postings that you had studied the Slavonic group. I was wondering in light of our discussion how you would advise me to tackle the Slavonic group. I already have ok but not brilliant Polish and was wondering what sequence you would give for learning the Slavic languages and how much your figure of 720 hours for the Romance (easier) languages would have to be adjusted due to the complexity of these languages. I ask because I’ve just turned forty and I’d really like to put in a decade on structured language work as a hobby and I fully agree with your point about it being intellectually very satisfying to know a whole language group so that you can compare them. At the moment it looks like a choice between the easier Romance branch and the tougher Slavonic branch. What are your thoughts on this Ardaschir. By the way, isn’t ‘Ardaschir’ something to do with the tower of Babel? We both seem to have biblical names.

Nephilim

2 persons have voted this message useful

lengua
United States
polyglottery.wordpre
Joined 6478 days ago

549 posts - 595 votes 
Studies: French, Italian, Spanish, German

Message 19 of 39
18 October 2006 at 10:01pm | IP Logged 
I'm heading in this direction of study: Spanish->French->Italian->Portuguese. Currently have no plans to continue with the Romance languages after Portugese, but that may change.
1 person has voted this message useful

Miri-chan
Tetraglot
Groupie
United States
crimsonietta.ne
Joined 6802 days ago

59 posts - 60 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: Cantonese, English*, French, Mandarin
Studies: Japanese, Spanish, Portuguese, German, Thai

Message 20 of 39
27 October 2006 at 10:26am | IP Logged 
I'm heading in the French -> Spanish -> Portuguese -> Italian direction. Personally, I think French is the best Romance to start with since there are a lot of similarities to the English language structure that are not quite as present in Spanish.
2 persons have voted this message useful

lady_skywalker
Triglot
Netherlands
aspiringpolyglotblog
Joined 6684 days ago

909 posts - 942 votes 
Speaks: Spanish, English*, Mandarin
Studies: Japanese, French, Dutch, Italian

Message 21 of 39
27 October 2006 at 11:05am | IP Logged 
Poor Romanian seems to be overlooked nearly every time. Not to mention the various other Romance languages, such as Catalan and Galician. :)

I definately would suggest starting with either Spanish or French as these are the languages you will find the most available resources for (not to mention the fact that Italian is only really spoken in 2 countries, give or take). Italian is often cited as being an easy Romance language to learn so I can't really see anything wrong with learning that one first, although it has less transparency with English than Spanish or French have.

I can't really make any recommendations with Portuguese as it's a language I have little interest in but I'd suggest going on to Portuguese after tackling Spanish first. The written language will be fairly easy to tackle once you know Spanish, although you should be aware that European Portuguese (as opposed to Brazilian Portuguese) sounds quite different to Spanish or even French and Italian.

Now, if you want to do a Romance language that is in a league of its own, do Romanian first. ;)

makaveli1989
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 6537 days ago

69 posts - 73 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German

Message 22 of 39
28 October 2006 at 8:56am | IP Logged 
I think I'm going in the Spanish >> Italian >> Portugese >> French direction. I'm petrified of learning French which is the primary reason that I am leaving it till last. I also believed that I would learn Portugese after Spanish but the lack of materials put me off.

Edited by makaveli1989 on 28 October 2006 at 10:25am

Sir Nigel
United States
Joined 6898 days ago

1126 posts - 1102 votes 
2 sounds

Message 23 of 39
28 October 2006 at 10:07am | IP Logged 
Wow, I didn't know French was something to be petrified about!

As far as sequence, I think the Spanish>French>Portuguese>Italian>Romanian direction is what I will have done eventually (hah, years from now).

For me French and Spanish have about the same priority and importance and Portuguese and Italian are extra because they're so easy to add once you have knowledge of two Romance languages.

Edited by Sir Nigel on 28 October 2006 at 10:08am

patuco
Diglot
Gibraltar
Joined 6809 days ago

3795 posts - 4268 votes 
Speaks: Spanish, English*
Personal Language Map

Message 24 of 39
28 October 2006 at 10:54am | IP Logged 
makaveli1989 wrote:
I'm petrified of learning French which is the primary reason that I am leaving it till last.

Why does French make you petrified?

makaveli1989 wrote:
I also believed that I would learn Portugese after Spanish but the lack of materials put me off.

There's Assimil (in Spanish and French), Linguaphone and FSI. What more do you want?

This discussion contains 39 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 1 24 5  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version