France
Joined 5452 days ago

7 posts - 13 votes
Speaks: French*, English
Studies: Japanese, Italian

Message 1 of 6
12 February 2010 at 5:07pm | IP Logged 
Hi everyone,

I've been lurking around for some time now but this is my first post on this forum. I hope I posted in the right part of the forum, if not please feel free to displace it elsewhere.

Since there is no specific section for personnal presentations (unless I'm mistaken), I thought I might give you some information about myself before asking for your help :)

So... I'm 27, native French speaker and living in Paris, I've been working for two years now as a business lawyer (yes I know, poor me lol). Japanese used to be my mother tongue (I spoke French with my dad and Japanese with my mom), but somehow my mother who speaks perfect French stopped using Japanese with me when I was still a little kid and I lost almost everything, except maybe that I may have a slight advantage for listening comprehension and of course overall knowledge of the culture, but that's all. I learnt English at school and now use it daily at work whether for drafting legal documents or for conference calls.

This year, I decided to put aside my Japanese studies for some time and start a brand new language, Italian (actually, this is part of my history of art studies, but it's a long story).

And there comes my query: does anyone know of a good quality electronic dictionary with rich vocabulary that would comprise French - English - Japanese - Italian - Spanish ? I'm beginning to get very annoyed with paper dictionaries, feeling that they tend to considerably slow down my learning process and would really love to find the perfect electronic dictionay for my language studies (although of course this will not prevent me from digging deeper with the help of a good paper dictionary, but just for looking up words while reading a novel for example, that would be very helpful).

Sorry for the long post and thank you in advance for your help!
1 person has voted this message useful

Muhsin
Nigeria
Joined 5180 days ago

1 posts - 1 votes
Speaks: English

Message 2 of 6
12 February 2010 at 5:45pm | IP Logged 
Hi there,

Am also a newbie; actually this is my first post as well. I hope you'll forgive my bad English. English is my second language and I barely use it in my daily activities.

I don't think your post is long, thus there is no need to apologize.

Well to your question: have you ever tried Encarta Premium Dictionary (2009--as it’s the one I have and know of)? It’s very simple and easy to install in your system. It comprises those languages and much more. Go get it.

Welcome you and myself aboard.

superette
Diglot
France
Joined 5452 days ago

7 posts - 13 votes

Message 3 of 6
12 February 2010 at 5:52pm | IP Logged 
Hi Muhsin,

Thanks a lot for your answer! Actually, I have resources when I'm working online on my computer, I was more looking for a pocket electronic dictionary, something like that:

http://www.casio.com/products/Calculators_&_Dictionaries/Dic tionaries/

Blunderstein
Triglot
Pro Member
Sweden
schackhandeln.se
Joined 5198 days ago

60 posts - 82 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, EnglishC2, FrenchB2
Studies: German, Esperanto
Personal Language Map

Message 4 of 6
16 February 2010 at 3:47pm | IP Logged 
You might also consider a Smartphone or PDA with Windows Mobile. I use that, along with several different dictionaries.

For instance, Pocket Context is pretty good. You'll find it, along with other alternatives, at:
http://www.smartlinkcorp.com/translation-software/_Any_Langu age-Dictionaries-Any_Platform.html

superette
Diglot
France
Joined 5452 days ago

7 posts - 13 votes

Message 5 of 6
16 February 2010 at 4:14pm | IP Logged 
Thanks a lot for the tip! I have a Google phone (HTC Magic) so I'll try and find the perfect translator app :)

Blunderstein
Triglot
Pro Member
Sweden
schackhandeln.se
Joined 5198 days ago

60 posts - 82 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, EnglishC2, FrenchB2
Studies: German, Esperanto
Personal Language Map

Message 6 of 6
16 February 2010 at 4:52pm | IP Logged 
You're welcome. I recently switched to a HTC Touch Diamond 2.
A word of warning: I have bad experiences with the dictionaries from Trueturm.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version