cad40324
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5427 days ago

11 posts - 14 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, French

Message 1 of 8
14 February 2010 at 10:59pm | IP Logged 
Hi everyone! I am looking to purchase Assimil Using German along with the CD's. I can't
find this particular set on the internet, but I am overly willing to pay someone here.
1 person has voted this message useful

tractor
Tetraglot
Norway
Joined 5234 days ago

1349 posts - 2292 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, Spanish, Catalan
Studies: French, German, Latin

Message 2 of 8
14 February 2010 at 11:12pm | IP Logged 
I don't think an English version of the German advanced course, Assimil Perfectionnement Allemand, has been
made.

datsunking1
Diglot
United States
Joined 5366 days ago

1014 posts - 1533 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: German, Russian, Dutch, French

Message 3 of 8
15 February 2010 at 1:47am | IP Logged 
tractor wrote:
I don't think an English version of the German advanced course, Assimil Perfectionnement Allemand, has been
made.

I had no idea one was ever produced!

cad- Were you happy with German With Ease? I have Italian With Ease and German Without Toil (1951) I was wondering if German With Ease was worth purchasing

cad40324
Joined 5427 days ago

11 posts - 14 votes

Message 4 of 8
15 February 2010 at 4:01am | IP Logged 
datsunking1, I am indeed very happy with the results I have seen thus far with the German
with Ease program, however, I am still not finished. It was definitely worth the thirty
or so dollars I spent, but I can't compare it to German Without Toil. I have German Made
Simple, Berlitz Self-Teacher, TY German, Pimsleur, Michel Thomas, and A Rick Steves'
Phrasebook, but the Assimil is my favorite.

Also, if I am unable to find Using German I will just have to use the French program. I
just can't understand French. I have both New French With Ease and Using French here in
my library, so I better pull them out and get to work if I want to use the Assimil
advanced German.

tractor
Tetraglot
Norway
Joined 5234 days ago

1349 posts - 2292 votes 

Message 5 of 8
15 February 2010 at 2:45pm | IP Logged 
I use both Assimil German Without Toil and Assimil German With Ease, so I can compare them.

They're basically built up around the same method and teach you more or less the same things, but the lessons are not the same. Both courses are enjoyable, but personally I like the humour and jokes in Without Toil better. Without Toil explains the grammar in more detail and better. The exercises in Without Toil seem to be more tailored at drilling grammar systematically and not only new vocabulary and idioms. In With Ease there's a "fill in the blanks" exercise to each lesson. I think these exercises are quite good in the way they reinforce new grammar and vocabulary. In With Ease there are some typos, sloppy editing and bad translations from French. I haven't found any of this sloppiness in Without Toil. I think that, maybe, the progression is steeper in Without Ease, but on the other hand it's 26 lessons shorter than Without Toil. I guess the language is more up-to-date in With Ease.

I try to spend around half an hour a day on each of them. If you have the time to do both, I'd say: "Use both!" If I had to choose only one of them, I'm not sure which one it would be.

Cad: How do you like the Berlitz Self-Teacher?

Edited by tractor on 15 February 2010 at 2:46pm

cad40324
Joined 5427 days ago

11 posts - 14 votes

Message 6 of 8
17 February 2010 at 8:17pm | IP Logged 
tractor wrote:
Cad: How do you like the Berlitz Self-Teacher?

I love the Berlitz Self-Teachers! I have used them for Spanish, French, and now German. I
first heard of them from Mr. Arguelles on his Youtube channel, where he did a video
review specifically on the Self-Teachers. My German edition has thirty-eight lessons,
each lesson only a couple of pages long. I do a lesson everyday lasting around twenty-
five minutes. The exercises are really helpful as well, plugging the new vocabulary words
into already known sentence structures and phrases (and some new ones). When I hear
people say: "old is better", I immediately think of the Berlitz Self-Teacher series.

tractor
Tetraglot
Norway
Joined 5234 days ago

1349 posts - 2292 votes 

Message 7 of 8
17 February 2010 at 10:54pm | IP Logged 
Good to hear. I got my Self-Teacher French and German in the mail today. I plan to use Self-Teacher German and
Cortina German as revision when I've finished off the passive wave of Assimil.

Edited by tractor on 17 February 2010 at 10:57pm

datsunking1
Diglot
United States
Joined 5366 days ago

1014 posts - 1533 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: German, Russian, Dutch, French

Message 8 of 8
19 February 2010 at 2:25am | IP Logged 
tractor wrote:
Good to hear. I got my Self-Teacher French and German in the mail today. I plan to use Self-Teacher German and
Cortina German as revision when I've finished off the passive wave of Assimil.

I can back the Self teachers as well. I have Italian, Spanish, German, and Portuguese. VERY GOOD. Not one error. Only downfall is that there is no audio. Maybe we should have a forum project and make Audio for them! :D

Extremely thorough, I love them. Some lessons take more time than others, I try to finish one every 3 days. :)

Edited by datsunking1 on 19 February 2010 at 2:26am

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version