Diglot
Belgium
Joined 5184 days ago

2 posts - 2 votes
Speaks: French*, English
Studies: Spanish, Japanese

Message 1 of 4
15 February 2010 at 11:15pm | IP Logged 
   Hello , I' m new on this forum and I' m seeking for resources to learn the mina ( also called Ge or Gen , spoken in the south of Benin and Togo ). I found a grammar and some vocabulary lists , but about none recording of speaking or dialogue in this language. If somebody know where to find resources or even speak this language , I' m very interested.
1 person has voted this message useful

Blunderstein
Triglot
Pro Member
Sweden
schackhandeln.se
Joined 5205 days ago

60 posts - 82 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, EnglishC2, FrenchB2
Studies: German, Esperanto
Personal Language Map

Message 2 of 4
16 February 2010 at 3:44pm | IP Logged 
Perhaps this is of some use to you:

"The speakers are the Adjari-Quatchi." according to
http://www.hermanboel.eu/language-database/lg_mina.htm

The same webpage also states that the language is also spoken in Ghana.

unzum
Diglot
United Kingdom
soyouwanttolearnalan
Joined 6701 days ago

371 posts - 478 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: Mandarin

Message 3 of 4
18 February 2010 at 7:42pm | IP Logged 
This is probably the grammar you mentioned but try Grammaire complète du Mina.

And there seem to be some Bible and Christian related audio and video available in Mina/Gen, linked on this website.

PanAfrica has some good information on the Gbe languages (of which Mina is a member).

Phillip de Barros who co-wrote the grammar of Mina also says that Mina is a creole language of Ewe and Ga, so if you are especially interested in the Mina language and the area it's spoken you may have more luck learning from Ewe materials as well as using the Mina grammar. Ewe is spoken right next to where Mina is spoken, and there are a lot more resources for it, including various textbooks (look here under Ewe) and websites with grammar & vocabulary information.

makraal
Diglot
Belgium
Joined 5184 days ago

2 posts - 2 votes
Speaks: French*, English
Studies: Spanish, Japanese

Message 4 of 4
20 February 2010 at 6:23pm | IP Logged 
Thank you , it' s the kind of things I' ve been looking for ( even if I' ve already had the "Grammaire complète du Mina").
A great "Merci" from Belgium ( and if somebody finds something else , I' m still interested...)

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version