Groupie
United States
Joined 5578 days ago

95 posts - 131 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Mandarin

Message 1 of 22
16 February 2010 at 3:32pm | IP Logged 
I'm looking into using the French in Action program to learn French. I found a used copy of the hardcover text book (2nd edition) for $10 and I plan to buy the workbooks (both part 1 and part 2) for about another $50-$60 total.

I can watch the videos online so the only part I'll be missing is the audio tapes. These are actually pretty expensive. On Amazon, the 2 parts would come up to $400 new and about $300 used. I've done a lot of searching and I can't seem to find used copies much cheaper, even in cassette format.

My question is: how essential are the audio tapes? I have found conflicting reviews where some claim that they aren't necessary and some claim that they are essential. I would like to hear from others that have done the course with and/or without the audio tapes and get some feedback as to whether I really need to invest the $300-$400 for the audio tape.

Derek

1 person has voted this message useful

draoicht
Groupie
Ireland
Joined 6073 days ago

89 posts - 146 votes 
Studies: Spanish

Message 2 of 22
16 February 2010 at 5:36pm | IP Logged 
The audio is essential if you are going to use the workbooks as most of the exercises have a related audio part.

Even if you don’t use the workbooks, you’ll still need the audio for the Text Work Up/Mise en Oeuvre.

The audio is available here:Link its fairly big at 1.7 gigs and it contains all the audio for FIA.

If you just want the Text Work Up audio, its available here:Link

I’m not sure if you’re aware of this, but the videos can be downloaded as well (search the forum for how to do this).

The course can be looked at as having two parts, the first part containing the videos, the textbook and the text work up audio while the second part contains the workbooks and the audio for them.

The first part can be done anywhere using an Ipod while the second part can be very time intensive and requires you to sit in the one place to do it.

8 persons have voted this message useful

Pastulio6267
United States
Joined 5407 days ago

8 posts - 12 votes
Studies: French

Message 3 of 22
16 February 2010 at 10:36pm | IP Logged 
I've gone through 2 lessons of FIA using the audio/workbook after having gone through +/- 20 just watching the video. I'm so far finding that the audio really helps to internalize the main words/phrases from the lesson so far, so I'd say download that ginormous audio link. It's worth it.

dleewo
Groupie
United States
Joined 5578 days ago

95 posts - 131 votes 
Studies: German, Mandarin

Message 4 of 22
16 February 2010 at 11:25pm | IP Logged 
Thanks draoicht. I've grabbed the audio files. I managed to find a used study guide for part 1 at a used book store this morning and I'll be ordering the 2 workbooks so I should now have everything I need.

And yes, I did manage to download all the videos. Thanks

magictom123
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5353 days ago

272 posts - 365 votes 
Studies: Italian, French

Message 5 of 22
17 February 2010 at 7:18am | IP Logged 
I have a question. I have downloaded the audio via this link and plan to get hold of the
workbooks but how well do yo think someone would fare if they only watched the videos.
If they were to say watch the whole series 2 or 3 times over would they be able to speak
any french or would they just have a passive understanding? I'm assuming no prior
knowledge of french here. Also, what level would this course bring you to on the CEFR
scale? Could you class yourself as intermediate after this course and have a good
understanding of conversation, french tv, radio etc. Finally, would it be possible to
simply do this course and then move onto native materials - books, tv etc?

:)

commo
United States
Joined 5271 days ago

13 posts - 20 votes
Speaks: French

Message 6 of 22
17 February 2010 at 10:23pm | IP Logged 
"...how well do yo think someone would fare if they only watched the videos.
If they were to say watch the whole series 2 or 3 times over would they be able to speak
any french or would they just have a passive understanding?"

The video and audio have completely different functions in FIA. The video introduces concepts and vocabulary but it is only in using the audio that they are actually acquired.

"Also, what level would this course bring you to on the CEFR
scale? Could you class yourself as intermediate after this course and have a good
understanding of conversation, french tv, radio etc."

Yes, after finishing FIA (and really learning everything in it) I was definitely at the intermediate level, probably at about the mid-point between B1 and B2.

"Finally, would it be possible to simply do this course and then move onto native materials - books, tv etc?"

Certainly!

magictom123
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5353 days ago

272 posts - 365 votes 
Studies: Italian, French

Message 7 of 22
18 February 2010 at 12:02am | IP Logged 
Thanks for the reply. This is certainly interesting. All I need now is the workbook and
I am ready to go.

Edit: I've just had a thought, you say it took you to b1-b2. Providing assimil does what
it says on the tin (i.e. take a person to b2) would it not be simpler just to use assimil
at 30 mins a day as it suggests than to spend so much time watching videos and doing
exercises.

Please understand, I am merely trying to gain a general understanding of the course and
of people who have used it in various ways - all the reviews seem to indicate that it is
an excellent course.

Edited by magictom123 on 18 February 2010 at 12:11am

Pastulio6267
United States
Joined 5407 days ago

8 posts - 12 votes
Studies: French

Message 8 of 22
18 February 2010 at 1:09am | IP Logged 
I'd say it more depends on how you use Assimil. If you listen to each tape dozens of times, shadow, and really absorb the language, it might not be essential, but I'd still say that using FIA would help you. If you use the tapes/workbook, FIA will have you speaking and writing, along with getting a lot of input. The repetition would help a lot. I think most people would agree that Assimil/FIA complement each other well.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 22 messages over 3 pages: 2 3  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version