Hexaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6059 days ago

1936 posts - 2333 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, Russian, Turkish, French

Message 113 of 142
16 July 2009 at 4:02pm | IP Logged 
Rout wrote:
"He attended opera at least once a week, sometimes twice. In this way he saw his favorite Wagnerian operas, Lohengrin and Die Meistersinger, several times, and attended at least one performance of The Flying Dutchman, Tannhäuser, Tristan and Isolde, Parsifal, and the Ring cycle. He also saw Mozart's Marriage of Figaro and The Magic Flute, Beethoven's Fidelio, and five operas by Verdi: The Masked Ball, Il Trovatore, Rigoletto, La Traviata, and Aida, Which he admired more than the others. He showed no enthusiasm for Gounod's Faust, which he regarded as vulgar, or for the operas of Smetana. In his eyes Wagner reigned supreme above all other operatic composers. It was an opinion he formed in Linz, and it was now comfirmed by the superb performances he saw at the Opera House, with Gustav Mahler conducting."

Excerpt from The Life and Death of Adolf Hitler by Robert Payne

I'd say there's a good chance he knew a few words of Italian and he certainly didn't seem xenophobic when it came to Verdi. He probably would have won the war if he would have cleaned up the western front by taking the Brits before invading Russia. Even then he stood a good chance but his army was spread thin because of the assistance he was lending to Italy. Wonder how that would have affected global communications and language usage if he'd won.

He conquered most of Europe, then on the rebound got his country absolutely devastated in the most destructive war in human history, though not before destroying a lot of the rest of Europe first. I don't think a fondness for Verdi exonerates him from the charge of xenophobia. His lack of enthusiasm for Smetana was probably part of his anti-Slav prejudices, which were far more lethal than just liking or disliking this or that composer.
1 person has voted this message useful

krog
Diglot
Austria
Joined 5836 days ago

146 posts - 152 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: French, Latin

Message 114 of 142
16 July 2009 at 5:29pm | IP Logged 
Maybe someone could phone up Ian Kershaw to settle the question of whether Hitler was
xenophobic? I think it would be fair to say that the majority of Waldviertlers are
neither lovers of foreign languages, nor particularly xenophilic; I don't see that
there's any evidence that Hitler had a different (i.e. cosmopolitan) mindset.

minus273
Triglot
France
Joined 5552 days ago

288 posts - 346 votes 
Speaks: Mandarin*, EnglishC2, French
Studies: Ancient Greek, Tibetan

Message 115 of 142
16 July 2009 at 11:26pm | IP Logged 
Alkeides wrote:
Mao never spoke Mandarin fluently;even in his speeches he used mostly his native Xiang "dialect" albeit with baihua grammar and vocab. It seems he also took the same attitude to learning English.

It's the usual practice in all of China back then. Soong Ching-ling read baihua with a Shanghai dialect. Absolutely incomprehensible to the uninitiated.

William Camden
Hexaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6059 days ago

1936 posts - 2333 votes 

Message 116 of 142
18 July 2009 at 11:51am | IP Logged 
krog wrote:
Maybe someone could phone up Ian Kershaw to settle the question of whether Hitler was
xenophobic? I think it would be fair to say that the majority of Waldviertlers are
neither lovers of foreign languages, nor particularly xenophilic; I don't see that
there's any evidence that Hitler had a different (i.e. cosmopolitan) mindset.

He had a pan-German mindset (his birthplace was just across the border from Bavaria). But non-Germans counted for little, or nothing. In many ways, Nazism was German/Austrian small-town prejudices (probably more normal than not in a place like the Waldviertel), which became lethal when wedded to a military machine.

Juan M.
Colombia
Joined 5686 days ago

460 posts - 597 votes 

Message 117 of 142
18 July 2009 at 5:22pm | IP Logged 
William Camden wrote:
He had a pan-German mindset (his birthplace was just across the border from Bavaria). But non-Germans counted for little, or nothing. In many ways, Nazism was German/Austrian small-town prejudices (probably more normal than not in a place like the Waldviertel), which became lethal when wedded to a military machine.

While this was certainly an essential element in this particular case, I tend to conceive of Nazism as an expression of the rise of the state and collectivism during the first half of the previous century, and as an extension of the French Revolution, which inaugurated the era of planned and deliberate genocide in the West. I also believe that genuine democracy was inherited from the British and their faith in reasonableness rather than the French and their conception of politics as struggle.

William Camden
Hexaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6059 days ago

1936 posts - 2333 votes 

Message 118 of 142
18 July 2009 at 7:16pm | IP Logged 
The Nazis were hostile to the French Revolution, not least because it ushered in a period of Jewish emancipation.
In 1791, a mob encouraged by the local establishment in Birmingham attacked and burned a number of houses and establishments, including the house of the scientist Joseph Priestley, as a reaction to a dinner held to commemorate the storming of the Bastille. There is a good article about this in Wikipedia. And that was well before the Reign of Terror in France, but reflected the increasing fears that events in France would be destabilising. Later, supporters of the French Revolution in Britain were actively persecuted, including under sedition laws. Moreover, an Irish rebellion in 1798 inspired by the French Revolution was put down by British troops with massive violence. I am afraid British "faith in reasonableness" tends to dissipate when actual resistance is offered.

Juan M.
Colombia
Joined 5686 days ago

460 posts - 597 votes 

Message 119 of 142
19 July 2009 at 4:32pm | IP Logged 
I don't know what you showed by that, perhaps other than that violence is universal and a reminder of Europe's colonial past.

William Camden
Hexaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6059 days ago

1936 posts - 2333 votes 

Message 120 of 142
19 July 2009 at 6:27pm | IP Logged 
I wouldn't say it was all that remote in the past. Algerians were being murdered in Paris in the early 1960s when they demanded freedom from colonial rule. And as a UK citizen with some grasp of history, the idea that the British have "faith in reasonableness" does not stand up to much examination, IMO. The example of Priestley was one of many I could have cited.

Nazis would have abhorred the idea that they were heirs to the French Revolution, and I find it a dubious claim. It only received negative comment in their publications and propaganda, and as I have noted before, French Revolutionary and Napoleonic liberation of Jews from all sorts of civil disabilities was unwelcome. The Nazis also saw the French Revolution as a forerunner of Marxism.

This discussion contains 142 messages over 18 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version