Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

German Without Toil

  Tags: Assimil | German
 Language Learning Forum : Language Programs, Books & Tapes Post Reply
9 messages over 2 pages: 1 2  Next >>
BobMc
Senior Member
United States
Joined 4045 days ago

36 posts - 47 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

 
 Message 1 of 9
18 February 2010 at 6:06pm | IP Logged 
I have been looking around everywhere for the old Assimil German Without Toil audio. I gather from reading some old posts on here that it was once available on uz-translations, but that doesn't seem to be the case anymore. (EDIT) by Fasulye

Thanks!

Edited by Fasulye on 18 February 2010 at 6:33pm

1 person has voted this message useful





Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Moderator
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 4244 days ago

5450 posts - 6004 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: German*, DutchC1, EnglishB2, French, Italian, Spanish, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Danish, Norwegian, Turkish
Personal Language Map

 
 Message 2 of 9
18 February 2010 at 6:32pm | IP Logged 
BobMc wrote:
I have been looking around everywhere for the old Assimil German Without Toil audio. I gather from reading some old posts on here that it was once available on uz-translations, but that doesn't seem to be the case anymore. (EDIT)
Thanks!


Assimil has informed that any published material (audios or transcripts) of their ASSIMIL courses on other websites is illegal. In this forum it's not allowed to post or discuss illegal material.

Fasulye

Edited by Fasulye on 18 February 2010 at 7:27pm

1 person has voted this message useful



BobMc
Senior Member
United States
Joined 4045 days ago

36 posts - 47 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

 
 Message 3 of 9
18 February 2010 at 7:12pm | IP Logged 
My apologies. I thought that the recordings from 1951 were public domain at this point since is has been 59 years since published.
1 person has voted this message useful





Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Moderator
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 4244 days ago

5450 posts - 6004 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: German*, DutchC1, EnglishB2, French, Italian, Spanish, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Danish, Norwegian, Turkish
Personal Language Map

 
 Message 4 of 9
18 February 2010 at 7:19pm | IP Logged 
BobMc wrote:
My apologies. I thought that the recordings from 1951 were public domain at this point since is has been 59 years since published.


No, all ASSIMIL material (audios and transcripts) has to be regarded as copyrighted material, as ASSIMIL took action against uz-translations in general. So you won't find any ASSIMIL material in the internet, which is free to use.

Fasulye

Edited by Fasulye on 18 February 2010 at 7:21pm

1 person has voted this message useful



Woodpecker
Triglot
Senior Member
United States
Joined 4208 days ago

351 posts - 590 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (Written), Arabic (Egyptian)
Studies: Arabic (classical)

 
 Message 5 of 9
18 February 2010 at 8:01pm | IP Logged 
Fasulye wrote:
No, all ASSIMIL material (audios and transcripts) has to be regarded as copyrighted material, as ASSIMIL took action against uz-translations in general. So you won't find any ASSIMIL material in the internet, which is free to use.


This doesn't make sense, though. Threatening legal action doesn't mean you actually have the legal right to it. I think we should have a more nuanced discussion of this subject and try to figure out what the copyright law actually says. As the members of this forum created the only digital copy available anywhere of a very excellent old audio course that would otherwise be impossible to use, this is a very relevant subject for us. I for one am not content to simply wave goodbye to the chance of ever using a Without Toil course again.

--
Edit: According to what I can find, under French copyright law a phonographic work's copyright expires 50 years after the death of the author. I cannot find any information on Alphonse Chérel's date of death. I have no idea how this applies across international boundaries.

Edited by Woodpecker on 18 February 2010 at 8:13pm

1 person has voted this message useful



Faraday
Senior Member
United States
Joined 4515 days ago

129 posts - 256 votes 
Speaks: German*

 
 Message 6 of 9
18 February 2010 at 9:28pm | IP Logged 
Fasulye wrote:

No, all ASSIMIL material (audios and transcripts) has to be regarded as copyrighted
material, as ASSIMIL took action against uz-translations in general.
Fasulye


As woodpecker rightly points out, legal action or threat thereof doesn't imply legal
legitimacy.
1 person has voted this message useful





newyorkeric
Diglot
Moderator
Singapore
Joined 4776 days ago

1598 posts - 2174 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian
Studies: Mandarin, Malay
Personal Language Map

 
 Message 7 of 9
19 February 2010 at 4:04am | IP Logged 
Faraday wrote:
As woodpecker rightly points out, legal action or threat thereof doesn't imply legal legitimacy.


That might be true but the person liable is the administrator. It is up to him to decide whether the risk of legal action is worth the benefit of allowing links to items that may or may not be copyrighted.
1 person has voted this message useful



Faraday
Senior Member
United States
Joined 4515 days ago

129 posts - 256 votes 
Speaks: German*

 
 Message 8 of 9
19 February 2010 at 4:35am | IP Logged 
newyorkeric wrote:
Faraday wrote:
As woodpecker rightly points out, legal action or
threat thereof doesn't imply legal legitimacy.


That might be true but the person liable is the administrator. It is up to him to
decide whether the risk of legal action is worth the benefit of allowing links to items
that may or may not be copyrighted.


All true, and administrator can do as he sees fit. However, it behooves us to be clear
and logical in our thoughts. In my opinion polyglottery is useless if it's in service
of muddled thoughts.

By the way, for those interested in copyright and intellectual property, I would highly
recommend Lawrence Lessig's Free Culture, which is a free downloadable book. In it
you'll find a nuanced discussion of balancing fair compensation with the public good.


1 person has voted this message useful



This discussion contains 9 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>


Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version

You cannot post new topics in this forum - You cannot reply to topics in this forum - You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum - You cannot create polls in this forum - You cannot vote in polls in this forum


This page was generated in 0.3125 seconds.


DHTML Menu By Milonic JavaScript
Copyright 2020 FX Micheloud - All rights reserved
No part of this website may be copied by any means without my written authorization.