Slovakia
Joined 5180 days ago

22 posts - 24 votes
Speaks: Czech, Slovak*, English
Studies: German, French

Message 1 of 10
19 February 2010 at 10:01am | IP Logged 
Hi to everyone!
To specify- I am a student who wants to learn French as fast as possible. I studied French in 2006-2009 not so intensively and with pauses. I think the way was not right. I have read 2-3 grammar books, 2-3 course books then only have been reading books. Only French I have heard was about 30 songs that I tried to sang and some Tv programs. I have read 20 000 pages of French. I realized at one moment that I could not speak at all and have a terrible pronounciaton. Anyway, I think I can read, that is probably the only thing it helped but last months even my vocabulary has not increased as I desired.
By chance I found Michel Thomas courses. After some time I managed to get all Michel Thomas courses, Pimsleur Speak and read essential 1-3, Rosseta Stone 1-2, FSI Basic 1-2, French Deluxe 9.
In last 2 weeks I have been through all of Michel Thomas courses. A the moment I am studying Michel Thomas again to review and Pimsleur 1. I try to study every day at least 4 hours. My plan is to do all of it (Michel Thomas, Pimsleur, FSI, Rosseta Stone, French Deluxe) and then review Michel Thomas, Pimsleur and FSI at least 2 times.
May I ask for some advice-
Is it good to study all the courses I have ?
Is my plan ok? (the order)
What courses to study after all this? I do think that all these courses are just basic, I would like to do more.
Thanks for everything!

1 person has voted this message useful

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6251 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 2 of 10
19 February 2010 at 2:03pm | IP Logged 
These courses probably won't challenge you at all. Try to get Assimil's "French with
ease" and "Using French". Shadow the dialogs extensively and try to do the first 50 of
"French with ease" quickly so that you can jump into the active wave. As far as I know,
Assimil is the only self-study language course that gets you into upper-intermediate
territory. You could of course work with an upper-level high school textbook and hope to
make do without a teacher. Or can you find someone to speak French with and to go over
the book with you? That would be best.

Once you're able to have everyday conversations, you can use "DALF C1/C2" to reach
advanced fluency.

Edited by Sprachprofi on 19 February 2010 at 2:06pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

Miuko
Triglot
Slovakia
Joined 5180 days ago

22 posts - 24 votes

Message 3 of 10
19 February 2010 at 2:28pm | IP Logged 
Sprachprofi wrote:
These courses probably won't challenge you at all. Try to get Assimil's "French with
ease" and "Using French". Shadow the dialogs extensively and try to do the first 50 of
"French with ease" quickly so that you can jump into the active wave. As far as I know,
Assimil is the only self-study language course that gets you into upper-intermediate
territory. You could of course work with an upper-level high school textbook and hope to
make do without a teacher. Or can you find someone to speak French with and to go over
the book with you? That would be best.

Once you're able to have everyday conversations, you can use "DALF C1/C2" to reach
advanced fluency.

Thank you very much for your advice. What an excellent forum! After such short time a response. I will definitely get Assimil. (actually I'm working on it now)
To defend my plan, I do think that going through all the courses I have I will automate my understanding of French. I think it is crucial to know any language. I agree it is not a challenge but a drill.

A question to you Sprachprofi- you think that even FSI basic is not a challenge? I have read on web that it is very deep- I am not sure whether it is this version.
More advice anybody?

Edited by Miuko on 19 February 2010 at 10:56pm

Guido
Super Polyglot
ArgentinaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6309 days ago

286 posts - 582 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, French, English, German, Italian, Portuguese, Norwegian, Catalan, Dutch, Swedish, Danish
Studies: Russian, Indonesian, Romanian, Polish, Icelandic

Message 4 of 10
20 February 2010 at 5:23am | IP Logged 
The "Tout va bien!" series are very good too, they have audio CDs and all the stuff. Try
Tout va bien 3! and Tout va bien 4!

Have a nice day!
Guido.-

lorsque
Groupie
Canada
Joined 5220 days ago

64 posts - 67 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French

Message 5 of 10
20 February 2010 at 5:44am | IP Logged 
Thanks Sprachprofi!

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6251 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 6 of 10
20 February 2010 at 8:02am | IP Logged 
Miuko wrote:
A question to you Sprachprofi- you think that even FSI basic is not a
challenge? I have read on web that it is very deep- I am not sure whether it is this
version.

Considering your reading level, I have my doubts. I'm not a big fan of FSI because I find
the drills boring and the language not suitable for my purposes (situations I won't
encounter; outdated language). FSI is free, so you can try and see if it does anything
for you; I'm sure that Assimil alone would also do the trick, and in a more enjoyable
way.

Miuko
Triglot
Slovakia
Joined 5180 days ago

22 posts - 24 votes

Message 7 of 10
20 February 2010 at 11:05am | IP Logged 
I finally managed to get Assimil courses from a friend working in a library but I am not sure if they are complete. Can anybody who has them help me to check?

Assimil New French With Ease best French tutorial Level 1 beginners for English speaking people
It contains 113 audio tracks and 113 powerpoint presentations with audio. I doubt anything is missing there.

Assimil Le Francais En Pratique
It contains 4 CD, 70 audio tracks. I am sure the book is missing there, anybody who has it digitally can share?

By the way, the friend gave me also French without toil, from 1940! (a book and 139 tracks in a bad quality) Do you think it is useful even after 70 years?

Thanks for any help!

fanatic
Octoglot
Australia
speedmathematics.com
Joined 6927 days ago

1152 posts - 1818 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, French, Afrikaans, Italian, Spanish, Russian, Dutch
Studies: Swedish, Norwegian, Polish, Modern Hebrew, Malay, Mandarin, Esperanto

Message 8 of 10
20 February 2010 at 11:40am | IP Logged 
The French Without Toil is excellent. Do a search on this forum for the audio which was cleaned and uploaded by Rout.

French Without Toil is the story of an Englishman who visits France to improve his French. It is an extremely good way to learn the language. A lot of the information is dated but it will help. Used in conjunction with the new Assimil French you will find you learn the language quickly and well. I have both courses and love them both.

Personally, I would complete the Without Toil course first and then do the With Ease afterward but the order doesn't really matter. I just found that the Without Toil held my interest and the explanations were clear and the exercises useful.

This discussion contains 10 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version