Slovakia
Joined 5180 days ago

22 posts - 24 votes
Speaks: Czech, Slovak*, English
Studies: German, French

Message 9 of 10
20 February 2010 at 12:40pm | IP Logged 
fanatic wrote:
The French Without Toil is excellent. Do a search on this forum for the audio which was cleaned and uploaded by Rout.

French Without Toil is the story of an Englishman who visits France to improve his French. It is an extremely good way to learn the language. A lot of the information is dated but it will help. Used in conjunction with the new Assimil French you will find you learn the language quickly and well. I have both courses and love them both.

Personally, I would complete the Without Toil course first and then do the With Ease afterward but the order doesn't really matter. I just found that the Without Toil held my interest and the explanations were clear and the exercises useful.

Thank your for your contribution. Without Toil looks ancient and too old to be good but I totally would try it with pleasure. They say never judge a book by its cover, I have just flicked through it and it looks interesting.
I tried to search for the upload by Rout but cannot find it. It might be not enough privileges on this webpage or it is obsolete. Anyway, can someone help me to get them or will let me suffer with the old gramophone recordings?:)

Edited by Miuko on 20 February 2010 at 12:41pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Miuko
Triglot
Slovakia
Joined 5180 days ago

22 posts - 24 votes
Speaks: Czech, Slovak*, English
Studies: German, French

Message 10 of 10
21 February 2010 at 8:33pm | IP Logged 
I am thinking about French in Action too. I have read some reviews on this forum, it looks it is one of the top courses. I have downloaded 52 lessons but I have read that it is a must to have textbooks, workbooks and audio.
Are they somewhere for free too? There were links to some yale page but it is not working now. (I only have workbooks and textbooks 1-26)
Do you think it is worthwhile to use it without all that stuff? (considering my first post where I specify my level)

To fanatic and Sprachprofi-
It did not let me to sleep, I have done first lessons in The French without Toil. It was outstanding!!! It suits me perfectly, considering my level, Pimsleur now is for me a pain, still Pimsleur 2 + 3 ahead but I try to endure it.
Thank you so much for you advice, now I am asking myself, why they succeed to sell Pimsleur for 600$ when there is something worth more that costs much less?

Do you think that studying 4 and more hours a day could be less effective than less hours? I do it with pleasure, it might be because now I am on Michel Thomas and Pimsleur which are only audio.

It happened to me once that I fell asleep when listening to Pimsleur lesson, headphones on ears, pretty loudly (not annoyingly). Is there any scientific proof that it could help to study?
I personally think that not too much, because then everybody would listen to courses in a sleep and after a week speak fluently the language.:)
1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 10 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version