louisjanus
United States
NorwegianLanguage.inRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5405 days ago

11 posts - 19 votes
Speaks: English*

Message 49 of 107
01 April 2011 at 4:39pm | IP Logged 
I would like to add the website that I manage--- it has lots of resources for learning Norwegian

http://NorwegianLanguage.info
5 persons have voted this message useful

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4795 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 50 of 107
28 May 2011 at 1:10am | IP Logged 
Nice and useful thread as I am decided to start learning Swedish (as soon as I have at least one more exam behind me). Could you please add what level you need to start the courses and to what level they should take you?

I'm most curious about these courses: TY Swedish, Colloquial, Svenska Utifran, Pa Svenska and FSI

That's all I can get to without paying postal fees from foreign country (not that the czech prices of books were low. and there are only two or three czech textbooks so far for swedish and they seem to be unusable for self-study)

thanks

Edited by Cavesa on 28 May 2011 at 1:15am

1 person has voted this message useful

Rikyu-san
Diglot
Denmark
Joined 5314 days ago

213 posts - 413 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, English
Studies: German, French

Message 51 of 107
16 June 2011 at 3:50pm | IP Logged 
@ Cavesa,

It's a good question what level the language programs will take you to. My guess is B2 for the TY Swedish, and perhaps B1 for the FSI course. This assement is a back of the envelope estimate based on the sentence structures and the amount of vocabulary. If you master them, you will most likely do fine in Sweden.

However, the result you get will be influenced by how you approach them. To give you an example, TY Swedish is like the other TY courses which means that the book and the audio give you a lot of pieces of the jigsaw puzzle, but you will have to do it yourself. Both TY Swedish and FSI Swedish Basic Course require some ingenuity on your part. You will probably go further if you combine them with something like Moses McCormick's FLR technique or Benny the-Irish-Polyglot Lewis' fluent-in-three-months approach. You could thus take your Swedish into the stratosphere if you learn the keywords of the language, learn what you would like to say and learn to understand what others say to you, all based on loads of conversational practice. Do both FSI Swedish Basic Course and TY Swedish combined with FLR and/or "fluent in three months", and you could actually take your Swedish into the stratosphere very quickly. And it is a cheap, effective and entertaining way to learn the language.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4795 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 52 of 107
16 June 2011 at 7:58pm | IP Logged 
Thank you very much, Rikyu-san,

your advice sounds good. The TY book somehow looks more difficult than the others but I will dive in it. I have started the FSI (I love the amount of exercices available in the course) and got hands on Assimil as well. I really like there is only Swedish in the audio there and that I can progress by smaller steps because while it would be great to learn Swedish quickly, I am in no rush. My priority now is to pass my school exams and Swedish serves great as fun, as something completely new to discover when bored with other textbooks. And I don't expect to get to Sweden any time soon, even though I'd love to. But I have found out there is a library focused on Skandinavia not far from my home, I was quite surprised.

Rikyu-san
Diglot
Denmark
Joined 5314 days ago

213 posts - 413 votes 

Message 53 of 107
16 June 2011 at 8:34pm | IP Logged 
Glad you liked it. Assimil Schwedisch ohne Mühe is my personal favourite, although I like the FSI course and the TY Swedish, too.

The dialogues in Assimil Schwedisch ohne Mühe are much longer than the dialogues in the other Assimil courses I own. Here is the dialogue for lesson 71 so people who don't own it yet, but is curious to know more about it, can see for themselves:

(And remember, this is just ONE lesson...).

Sjuttioförsta lektionen.

EN BESVÄRLIG UPPGIFT.

1. - Vär vän James Smith skal tillbringa ett år i vårt land som gästforskare vid Tekniske högskolan.
2. I og för sig är det trevligt, men...
3. - Men vad? Ni är vel inte osams...
4. - Inte ett dugg, men om två veckor ger han sig i våg fran England med hustru og barn,
5. och han vänter sig att jeg under tiden ska ha hittat en lämplig bostad åt honom.
6. - Gav han dig fria händer?
7. - Ja, desvärre! Et sådant ansvar skulle jag gärna ha sluppit. Jeg tycker att det är svårt att välja i stället för nogon annan.
8. - Kan han tänka sig att bo i småhus? En villa står tom på vår gata. Kanske är ägaren beredd att hyra ut den under begränsad tid.
9. - Inte et ord i hans brev om några önskemål! Jeg er nollställd helt enkelt.
10. - Har du åtminstone undersökt hyresmarknaden?
11. - Det har jeg gjort efter bästa förmåga, men det är få lägenheter som hyrs ut.
12. - Vad säger du? Man ser jo dagligen oändliga annonsspalter i dagspressen.
13. - Du glömmer en detalj. De fleste våningar som står til buds är insatslägenheter.
14. Det blir för komplicerat för James att först satsa en betydande summa och sen sälja sin bostadsrätt, når han lämnar Sverige.
15. - Desutom skulle han kanske behöva måla, tapetsera och reparera vid inflyttningen.
16. - Jag fick faktiskt titta på en våning som kunde ha passat: en femma på 90 kvadratmeter, lugnt läge, balkong åt söder, allt dette till ett acceptabelt pris, särskilt då värmen ingick i hyran.
18. - Det låter perfekt. Varför slog du inte till?
19. - Det fanns en liten hake: lägenheten var omöblerad. Jag tvivlar på att våra vänner skulle uppskatta att behöva köpa möbler för knappt ett år.
20. - Och vilken start, utan sängar och gardiner, även om vi kunde låna ut madrasser, sängkläder og filtar till dem!
21. - Det ska vara en möblerad lägenhet, saken är klar. Men inte vilken som helst!
22. En familj måste ha ett rejält kök, inte en liten kokvrå, och James behöver ett arbetsrum med skrivbord och bokhyllor.
23. - Vänner, vänner! Måtte man vara befriad från dem ibland!

This is absolutely amazing.

Edited by Rikyu-san on 16 June 2011 at 8:34pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

AlOlaf
Diglot
United States
Joined 4934 days ago

491 posts - 617 votes 
Speaks: English*, GermanC2
Studies: Danish

Message 54 of 107
19 June 2011 at 6:34am | IP Logged 
I've been studying German for quite some time now and recently decided to begin studying Norwegian, as well. Does anyone have experience with the Assimil "Norwegisch ohne Mühe" courses with CD-ROM? I'm wondering if they'll work with a Windows 7 operating system, which is what I have.

Rikyu-san
Diglot
Denmark
Joined 5314 days ago

213 posts - 413 votes 

Message 55 of 107
22 June 2011 at 9:06pm | IP Logged 
AlOlaf wrote:
I've been studying German for quite some time now and recently decided to begin studying Norwegian, as well. Does anyone have experience with the Assimil "Norwegisch ohne Mühe" courses with CD-ROM? I'm wondering if they'll work with a Windows 7 operating system, which is what I have.

@AlOlaf,

I asked Assimil this question and today I got the following answer:

"Thank you very much for your message.

We are sorry to inform you that our courses with CD Rom do not run on Vista and windows 7."

I hope this is helpful.
2 persons have voted this message useful

AlOlaf
Diglot
United States
Joined 4934 days ago

491 posts - 617 votes 
Speaks: English*, GermanC2
Studies: Danish

Message 56 of 107
22 June 2011 at 9:59pm | IP Logged 
Thanks very much for going to the trouble to get an answer for me, Rikyu-san. I see Assimil offers Norwegisch ohne Mühe with just the book and CDs. Do you recommend this course? I don't have any experience with Assimil, but the selection of learning materials for Norwegian is much smaller than that for German.

This discussion contains 107 messages over 14 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 68 9 10 11 12 13 14  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version