Joined 5309 days ago

213 posts - 413 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, English
Studies: German, French

Message 57 of 107
22 June 2011 at 10:23pm | IP Logged 
@AlOlaf,

You're welcome.

A poster once recommended Linguaphone's Norwegian course - sadly, it is out of print but it may be found on torrents.

Given this, and given my appreciation of Assimil's courses, I would give Assimil Norwegisch ohne Mühe a try, or perhaps the French edition of the course if I felt particularly adventurous, but definitely one of the Assimil Norwegian courses.

This decision is based on my appreciation of other Assimil courses. I have learned so much from them so far, and I really like the bi-lingual format, the easy to understand and engaging-enough audio, the short but cogent grammar explanations, the whole passive-active phase thing, and, to round this off, the incomparible Assimil humour.

Perhaps other forum members in this thread who have personal experience with learning Norwegian can help us out on this one?

Edited by Rikyu-san on 22 June 2011 at 10:25pm

1 person has voted this message useful

jazzboy.bebop
Norway
norwegianthroughnove
Joined 5199 days ago

439 posts - 800 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Norwegian

Message 58 of 107
29 June 2011 at 12:08am | IP Logged 
The Linguaphone course is well made but uses some old fashioned language that's practically never used and seems to very much shy away from making you remember feminine nouns. Instead, you are taught to just differentiate between neuter and common gender.

Despite that, it is a thorough course and has you reading extracts of Norwegian literature at the end.

Personally though I'd recommend "Learn Norwegian" by Sverre Klouman. It is very extensive, teaching over 3,000 words and is well structured. You can only get it with tapes but I have made mp3s of the recordings. If anyone gets the book, send me a message and I will be happy to send you the mp3 recordings.

louisjanus
United States
NorwegianLanguage.inRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5400 days ago

11 posts - 19 votes

Message 59 of 107
29 June 2011 at 2:43am | IP Logged 
Klouman's book recommendation above surprises me! I found the book stilted, heavy and unnatural.
But I admit I was not REALLY trying to learn Norwegian, as I already speak it. Remember that my website
has some of own recommendations (I think I mentioned this as the thread got going).
http://Norwegianlanguage.info

jazzboy.bebop
Norway
norwegianthroughnove
Joined 5199 days ago

439 posts - 800 votes 

Message 60 of 107
29 June 2011 at 3:44am | IP Logged 
louisjanus wrote:
Klouman's book recommendation above surprises me! I found the book
stilted, heavy and unnatural.
But I admit I was not REALLY trying to learn Norwegian, as I already speak it. Remember
that my website
has some of own recommendations (I think I mentioned this as the thread got going).

I agree that it's perhaps a little stilted but it makes it up for me in it's depth of
content compared to for example, the Teach Yourself or Colloquial Norwegian books and
you can get a hold of the book rather cheaply second hand.

Despite its flaws, it will take you further than most single volume courses (e.g. you
learn over 3,000 words compared to the usual circa 2,000) and you can get the course
for only about $12 if you look around. I also like how the book later teaches you
through Norwegian once you have learned enough.

Edited by jazzboy.bebop on 29 June 2011 at 3:48am

tractor
Tetraglot
Norway
Joined 5234 days ago

1349 posts - 2292 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, Spanish, Catalan
Studies: French, German, Latin

Message 61 of 107
29 June 2011 at 7:52pm | IP Logged 
jazzboy.bebop wrote:
The Linguaphone course is well made but uses some old fashioned language that's
practically never used and seems to very much shy away from making you remember feminine nouns. Instead, you
are taught to just differentiate between neuter and common gender.

I have never looked at the Linguaphone Norwegian course, so I can't comment on it's quality. I have used other
Linguaphone courses though, and they have all been good.

I just want to say that it's not necessarily a bad thing that it uses some old fashioned language that isn't used
anymore, as it will will open up the way to some of the greatest Norwegian literature, such as the works by Ibsen,
Bjørnson, Hamsun and Undset. But of course, you should use other sources as well in order to learn contemporary
Norwegian.
3 persons have voted this message useful

hrhenry
Octoglot
United States
languagehopper.blogs
Joined 4911 days ago

1871 posts - 3642 votes 
Speaks: English*, SpanishC2, ItalianC2, Norwegian, Catalan, Galician, Turkish, Portuguese
Studies: Polish, Indonesian, Ojibwe

Message 62 of 107
29 June 2011 at 8:29pm | IP Logged 
louisjanus wrote:
Remember that my website has some of own recommendations (I think I mentioned this as the thread got going).

About a decade ago, I had found a rather complete course through the Norword link which was produced by the Scandinavian Languages department at St. Olaf College in Minnesota. I don't have the course with me, so I don't have the exact name, but it was really a good course. It had text, audio and video. If I remember correctly, at the time it cost less than 100 dollars.

I don't know if it's even still available, but it's definitely worth looking for.

*EDIT*

Doing a quick search for Norwegian multimedia course and St. Olaf brings me here, and it looks familiar enough to have me believe that the original course became "Sett i Gang'.

R.
==

Edited by hrhenry on 29 June 2011 at 9:01pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

louisjanus
United States
NorwegianLanguage.inRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5400 days ago

11 posts - 19 votes

Message 63 of 107
29 June 2011 at 8:52pm | IP Logged 
Wow, thanks. I was one of the coauthors of NorWord; (Nancy Aarsvold) as the other. I have saved the
postings, and they're on my site:
http://www.norwegianlanguage.info/norword/index.html

But I think some of the links are broken.

Do you mean perhaps KlikkNorsk? Nancy (St. O) and Margaret O'Leary did the CD. It costs $30. And is
still available
http://skandisk.com/general_sub.asp?search=klikknorsk&imageF ield2.x=0&imageField2.y=0

Louis Janus <janus005@umn.edu>
2 persons have voted this message useful

jazzboy.bebop
Norway
norwegianthroughnove
Joined 5199 days ago

439 posts - 800 votes 

Message 64 of 107
30 June 2011 at 12:41am | IP Logged 
tractor wrote:
jazzboy.bebop wrote:
The Linguaphone course is well made but uses some old fashioned language that's
practically never used and seems to very much shy away from making you remember feminine nouns. Instead, you
are taught to just differentiate between neuter and common gender.

I have never looked at the Linguaphone Norwegian course, so I can't comment on it's quality. I have used other
Linguaphone courses though, and they have all been good.

I just want to say that it's not necessarily a bad thing that it uses some old fashioned language that isn't used
anymore, as it will will open up the way to some of the greatest Norwegian literature, such as the works by Ibsen,
Bjørnson, Hamsun and Undset. But of course, you should use other sources as well in order to learn contemporary
Norwegian.

Agreed about your point on old-fashioned language. Considering it also deals with extracts from Norwegian literature it is a fine course to get used to some of the older language that has fallen out of use but can be found in literature. It is a great course to combine with other, more contemporary, courses.

This discussion contains 107 messages over 14 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 79 10 11 12 13 14  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version