Diglot
Sweden
Joined 6440 days ago

625 posts - 1009 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: Latin, German, Mandarin

Message 65 of 107
19 August 2011 at 2:30am | IP Logged 
http://notendur.hi.is/haukurth/norse/ free online old norse course that also has some recordings
3 persons have voted this message useful

Emme
Triglot
Italy
Joined 5128 days ago

980 posts - 1594 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English, German
Studies: Russian, Swedish, French

Message 66 of 107
30 September 2011 at 1:52pm | IP Logged 
Cavesa wrote:
Nice and useful thread as I am decided to start learning Swedish (as soon as I have at least one more exam behind me). Could you please add what level you need to start the courses and to what level they should take you?

I'm most curious about these courses: TY Swedish, Colloquial, Svenska Utifran, Pa Svenska and FSI [...]

Rikyu-san wrote:
@ Cavesa,

It's a good question what level the language programs will take you to. […]

Sorry I’m a few months too late in the debate to be of any help to Cavesa in choosing her materials, but I’ve just come across a website that tries to answer exactly this question, at least for textbooks published by Swedish publishers.

On its website, the Swedish Institute / Svenska institutet has a list of textbooks (Läromedel i svenska som främmande språk) with their approximate CEFR level.

According to them, Svenska utifrån covers levels A1-B1; the series På Svenska covers levels A1-C1 (På Svenska! reaches level A2; På svenska! 2 level B1; På svenska! 3 level C1).

The list is also a good source for other textbooks which we generally don’t know about, because they are published in Sweden and don’t belong to the usual big series like TY, Colloquial, Assimil etc.

The menu on the left (not the one on the far left) lets you search also for titles in the grammar, dictionaries and vocabulary, pronunciation and listening comprehension, literature … categories.

By the way, I happen to own both Svenska utifrån and the first På Svenska!. As I said in an earlier post in this thread (post 45) the former is not intended for self-study. But if you already know some Swedish and know how to learn languages on your own, the 150 texts (in 214 pages) it contains can be put to good use.

The latter is meant for self study, but you need the accompanying “studiehäfte” in a language you know (I’ve got the English one). You may wonder how a very thin book, 16 units in just 120 richly-illustrated pages, can claim to bring you to the A2 level. Suffice it to say that it introduces grammar points at breakneck speed. By page 9 (and unit 1 starts on page 8) you encounter three tenses (present, past, and future), for instance. Swedish grammar is relatively easy, so it shouldn’t be too difficult if you’re not new at language learning. But if you are, I think that might be a problem.

Unfortunately I can’t give better reviews of the textbooks, as I’m one of those language learners who hoard textbooks, starts them, but usually don’t go much further than the first 30 or 50 pages.

I hope this helps.

EDIT
I forgot to mention that I have the older version of På Svenska! (from the 1990s). I don’t know how different the new edition is.

Edited by Emme on 01 October 2011 at 4:36pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

egill
Diglot
United States
Joined 5477 days ago

418 posts - 791 votes 
Speaks: Mandarin, English*
Studies: German, Spanish, Dutch

Message 67 of 107
01 October 2011 at 1:15am | IP Logged 
I recently came across this set of Icelandic videos:

Viltu læra íslensku?

They're a set of 21 half-hour-ish videos for learning Icelandic with a "real life"
segment followed by a classroom segment. I really like them because they have Icelandic
subtitles and are pretty decent otherwise.

Also I noticed that the Faroese section is looking distressingly empty. I haven't
studied Faroese, but I was able to get my hands on a textbook/grammar set that seems
pretty good. It's called Faroese: A Language Course for Beginners by Jonathan Adams and
Hjalmar P. Petersen. They are also nice enough to have all the audio available on their

http://www.stidin.fo/FaroeseCourse/

Aside from that there's also a more traditional and comprehensive-looking
grammar/reader: An Introduction to Modern Faroese by W.B. Lockwood that seems well
regarded.
4 persons have voted this message useful

laban
Triglot
Groupie
Israel
Joined 5603 days ago

87 posts - 96 votes 
Speaks: Modern Hebrew*, English, Italian
Studies: Norwegian, German

Message 68 of 107
22 October 2011 at 4:11am | IP Logged 
Is it possible for a mod to arrange all the links and resource names given throughout these 9 pages on one page (the first for example)?

it would just be much more convenient this way, just suggesting.
1 person has voted this message useful

Longinus
Diglot
United States
Joined 4658 days ago

26 posts - 53 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Russian, Polish, Macedonian

Message 69 of 107
22 October 2011 at 12:47pm | IP Logged 
I was thinking about starting to work on Norwegian soon. Has anyone tried Erik Stokland
"Lehrbuch der norwegischen Sprache" from Buske? I haven't seen a copy, but I like a lot of the Buske books.

Nature
Diglot
Groupie
Canada
Joined 5018 days ago

63 posts - 80 votes 
Speaks: English*, French

Message 70 of 107
28 October 2011 at 2:57am | IP Logged 
Why are there so many resources for learning Danish as opposed to Swedish? I'd figure it would be the opposite

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6690 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 71 of 107
28 October 2011 at 12:38pm | IP Logged 
What kind of Danish resources don't exist for Swedish? Of the traditional methods we have Teach Yourself, Lingaphone, Assimil, Colloquial for all the Scandinavian languages (I think).

mick33
United States
Joined 5705 days ago

1335 posts - 1632 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Finnish
Studies: Thai, Polish, Afrikaans, Hindi, Hungarian, Italian, Spanish, Swedish

Message 72 of 107
28 October 2011 at 8:36pm | IP Logged 
Linguaphine currently offers Swedish, but not Danish or Norwegian. Assimil does have courses for Swedish, Danish, Norwegian and Finnish but only with French as the base language.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 107 messages over 14 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 810 11 12 13 14  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version