213 posts - 413 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, English
Studies: German, French

Message 9 of 107
20 February 2010 at 10:42pm | IP Logged 
tractor wrote:
taKen wrote:
tractor wrote:

By the way, Greenlandic, Sami and Finnish are not really "Scandinavian" or "Nordic" languages because they belong to different language families.

The Sami are just as much a native people in Scandinavia as the Norwegians or the Swedes. Due to all the interaction between Finland and Sweden (Finland used to be a part of Sweden), Finland is included in the group of Scandinavian countries, and rightly so.

I just wanted to point out that Greenlandic, Sami and Finnish don't belong to the Germanic language family nor to its subgroup Scandinavian/North Germanic. Would you say that Norwegian is a Sami language because it is spoken in Sápmi and is the native language of many Samis?

I appreciate your sentiments but I suggest that you open another thread to discuss this. I would be happy to contribute in such a thread. However, I would strongly insist on keeping this thread focused exclusively on language materials as I have an extra job noticing and adding suggestions to the master list in post one. So far the inclusion is based on geography and societal/cultural connections and significance, not language families.

5 persons have voted this message useful

Rikyu-san
Diglot
Denmark
Joined 5309 days ago

213 posts - 413 votes 

Message 10 of 107
20 February 2010 at 10:47pm | IP Logged 
Woodpecker wrote:
Thank you for putting this together. A half-Norwegian friend of mine and I have some dabbling planned for the summer, so this will be handy. Also, I believe there is a Teach Yourself Norwegian Conversation course, and a French-base Assimil course as well as the German-based one for Norwegian.

I considered adding it to the list when I did the first compilation but I can't get a handle on what the differences are between the TY Norwegian and TY Norwegian conversation. Can you shed some light on this?
1 person has voted this message useful

tractor
Tetraglot
Norway
Joined 5234 days ago

1349 posts - 2292 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, Spanish, Catalan
Studies: French, German, Latin

Message 11 of 107
21 February 2010 at 12:09am | IP Logged 
Rikyu-san wrote:
I appreciate your sentiments but I suggest that you open another thread to discuss this. I would be happy to contribute in such a thread. However, I would strongly insist on keeping this thread focused exclusively on language materials as I have an extra job noticing and adding suggestions to the master list in post one. So far the inclusion is based on geography and societal/cultural connections and significance, not language families.

I don't really see why this needs to be discussed any further. One can group languages according to language families or according to any other possible criteria. You have chosen a geographic/cultural criterion, and that's OK. If you choose a geographical or cultural criterion, I think it would be more precise to say something like "languages spoken in Scandinavia [or in the Nordic countries]" because "Scandinavian/Nordic languages" often means the North Germanic/Scandinavian branch of the Germanic language family. I should probably have formulated my initial comment in a better way because it was not my intention to start a discussion about this.

Edited by tractor on 21 February 2010 at 12:09am

tractor
Tetraglot
Norway
Joined 5234 days ago

1349 posts - 2292 votes 

Message 12 of 107
21 February 2010 at 12:16am | IP Logged 
You may consider grouping Icelandic and Old Norse together as these two languages are supposedly extremely close. A course in Icelandic should thus facilitate reading literature written in Old Norse.

I would guess that all materials for learning Old Norse specifically are targeted at people who are already proficient in either Danish, Swedish, Icelandic or Norwegian.

Edited by tractor on 21 February 2010 at 12:25am

2 persons have voted this message useful

tractor
Tetraglot
Norway
Joined 5234 days ago

1349 posts - 2292 votes 

Message 13 of 107
21 February 2010 at 12:24am | IP Logged 
Sami: Davvin
Norwegian: Ny i Norge and Bo i Norge

I don't know if these courses are intended for self-study.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Rikyu-san
Diglot
Denmark
Joined 5309 days ago

213 posts - 413 votes 

Message 14 of 107
21 February 2010 at 12:31am | IP Logged 
Thank you for both your posts.

I will keep your Icelandic/Old Norse suggestion in mind.

Ana_Ca
Tetraglot
Russian FederationRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5173 days ago

5 posts - 14 votes
Speaks: Russian*, English, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: French, Czech, German, Norwegian, Mandarin

Message 15 of 107
21 February 2010 at 4:09am | IP Logged 
Norwegian:
Stein paa stein + exercises online exercises

Paa vei + exercises online exercises online

Edited by Ana_Ca on 21 February 2010 at 4:19am

cathrynm
United States
junglevision.co
Joined 5906 days ago

910 posts - 1232 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Finnish

Message 16 of 107
21 February 2010 at 9:55am | IP Logged 
I'm just starting on Finnish, so I've been on the prowl for Finnish resources. Here are a few I've found.

This is a video series for Finnish.   The episodes are online, they also sell a DVD with subtitles in Finnish. (Edit)I realize now, that the Finnish text is all online in under the button marked TV-Dialogit. So the process I've been trying out today is to translate from the Finnish script to English by looking up the words, and then watching the video.

http://www.yle.fi/opinportti/supisuomea/

This is the website I've been using for looking up Finnish words. It doesn't have all the conjugations as separate entries, but it does show a list of 'similar words' and with a bit of grammar study, I can pick out the roots.

http://www.sanakirja.org/

I've barely scratched the surface of this book, my main focus right now is with the Teach Yourself book already mentioned, but this book is recommended many places, and I believe it's an important piece of the puzzle.

Finnish An Essential Grammar

Edited by cathrynm on 21 February 2010 at 10:47am

4 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 107 messages over 14 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version