213 posts - 413 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, English
Studies: German, French

Message 17 of 107
21 February 2010 at 11:23am | IP Logged 
tractor wrote:
Sami: Davvin
Norwegian: Ny i Norge and Bo i Norge

I don't know if these courses are intended for self-study.

I did a brief search for Sami language resources but I am not sure what I found was useful.

Do you suggest that we group the Norwegian language resources in Nynorsk and Bokmål? If this makes sense, I wonder if there are language resources that can be used for both. In that case I would create three categories for Norwegian - Nynorsk, Bokmål and a common category (suggestions for what we should call this category are welcome).
1 person has voted this message useful

Rikyu-san
Diglot
Denmark
Joined 5313 days ago

213 posts - 413 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, English
Studies: German, French

Message 18 of 107
21 February 2010 at 11:25am | IP Logged 
cathrynm wrote:
<snip>

This is a video series for Finnish.   The episodes are online, they also sell a DVD with subtitles in Finnish.

http://www.yle.fi/opinportti/supisuomea/

<snip>

Thanks for the suggestions. Is this a paysite or a free site? Or is the DVD one can buy optional?

cathrynm
United States
junglevision.co
Joined 5910 days ago

910 posts - 1232 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Finnish

Message 19 of 107
21 February 2010 at 11:44am | IP Logged 
Everything on the site is free including the videos and Finnish transcripts for the movies.   It is possible to use this course legally without paying any money. The DVD is optional.

Apparently there's also a textbook, but I haven't used this myself. The entire site is Finnish, but the material is beginner level.

cordelia0507
United Kingdom
Joined 5623 days ago

1473 posts - 2176 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*
Studies: German, Russian

Message 20 of 107
21 February 2010 at 3:55pm | IP Logged 
I know that there are some very good learning material for Swedish in the languages that lots of immigrants (past or present) to Sweden speak. So if you are not a native English speaker, you can still find good, cheap and efficient material --- particularly if you already speak one of:

1) Finnish (of course!!!)
2) German (they learn Swedish fast and well.... the material must be good..)
3) Serbocroatian
4) Spanish
5) Turkish
6) Arabic
7) Farsi
8) Polish
9) Russian

Edited by cordelia0507 on 21 February 2010 at 3:56pm

tractor
Tetraglot
Norway
Joined 5238 days ago

1349 posts - 2292 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, Spanish, Catalan
Studies: French, German, Latin

Message 21 of 107
21 February 2010 at 8:24pm | IP Logged 
Rikyu-san wrote:

Do you suggest that we group the Norwegian language resources in Nynorsk and Bokmål? If this makes sense, I
wonder if there are language resources that can be used for both. In that case I would create three categories for
Norwegian - Nynorsk, Bokmål and a common category (suggestions for what we should call this category are
welcome).

Grouping Nynorsk and Bokmål together is not a bad idea as these two written standards together with the
dialects constitute contemporary Norwegian.

I don't think there are many resources for learning Nynorsk that are directed at foreigners. There must be tons
of Nynorsk materials made for Norwegian high school students however.

Einar Haguen's Norwegian-English dictionary contains both Nynorsk and Bokmål entries. I guess it's Introduction
is interesting reading for English speaking students of Norwegian.

2 persons have voted this message useful

davidwelsh
Heptaglot
Norway
Joined 5314 days ago

141 posts - 307 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, Norwegian, Esperanto, Swedish, Danish, French
Studies: Polish, Sanskrit, Tibetan, Pali, Mandarin

Message 22 of 107
22 February 2010 at 10:33am | IP Logged 
Northern Sámi Resources:

Davvin 1 Correspondence Course (in Norwegian) with similar courses available for Davvin 2-4
Gulahalan (free online course in Swedish)
Cugu (Sámi/Swedish website aimed at children)
Rosas bondgård (Swedish website for children available in several lanuages, including Sámi)
Risten (The Norwegian Sámi Parliament's online dictionary and terminology database)
Encyclopaedia of Saami Culture
Infonuorra (some words and phrases in Northern, Southern and Lule Sámi)
Čalliid Lágádus Publishers
Kara Libris Online bookshop
Davvi Girji Publishers
NRK Samisk (Online TV in Sámi from Norway's state broadcaster)
6 persons have voted this message useful

Woodpecker
Triglot
United States
Joined 5596 days ago

351 posts - 590 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (Written), Arabic (Egyptian)
Studies: Arabic (classical)

Message 23 of 107
22 February 2010 at 11:17am | IP Logged 
Rikyu-san wrote:

I considered adding it to the list when I did the first compilation but I can't get a handle on what the differences are between the TY Norwegian and TY Norwegian conversation. Can you shed some light on this?

My understanding is that the difference is in terms of focus. Conversation is basically all about interacting with the dialogues, the normal course places more of an emphasis on grammar. I think they're supposed to complement each other. They are by the same author.
2 persons have voted this message useful

OlafP
Triglot
Germany
Joined 5220 days ago

261 posts - 667 votes 
Speaks: German*, French, English

Message 24 of 107
22 February 2010 at 2:39pm | IP Logged 
http://www.sr.se/
has more Swedish podcasts and radio streams than anyone should need.

http://swedia.ling.gu.se/
provides more than 4h of recordings in Swedish dialects along with transcriptions.

"Grund- und Aufbauwortschatz Schwedisch: 9000 Wörter zu mehr als 100 Themen"
by Lothar Adelt, Buske Verlag 2009, ISBN 978-3875485332
is a book with, as the name says, a vocabulary of about 9000 Swedisch words for German speakers. There are plenty of examples in the book, warnings about false friends and pointers to other sections if a word has more than one meaning. The book comes with a CD ROM that contains all the content in PDF format. The pointers are clickable hyperlinks in the PDF version.

I'd like to say something about the Assimil course "Schwedisch ohne Mühe". I don't know whether it is representative for the majority of Assimil courses, and I can compare it only to "Le Russe", which already is the reviewed and improved version of the Russian course that got torn apart by everyone who bought it. Maybe with the Swedish and the Russian courses I was just (un)lucky to pick two extreme examples of the product line. The Swedish course is definitely different than the rest, considering the fact that it seems to come in two volumes, but that's not true. The first "volume" contains the book with all 100 lessons and only recordings of the first 50 lessons. They still come on 4 CDs, so that every CD has a recording time of about 25min. You have to buy the second "volume" with 4 more CDs that contain the other 50 lessons. Both "volumes" sell for the price of a full course. As a result, the Swedish course costs twice as much as any other. It still is worth the money, because it is 4 times as good as the Russian one.

The course introduces vocabulary at rapid pace. It's hard to believe, but I counted the new words before I started several lessons, and you get about 35 to 45 new words in each of them. This would sum up to about 4000 words. The lesson texts are about three times as long as the ones in the Russian course, which has an index at the end, whereas the Swedish one has none. I calculated the vocabulary of the Russian course based on this index to about 1700 words, which again indicates that the Swedish course should get you well beyond the 3000 mark. Swedish is an easy language to learn for German speakers, but due to the vocabulary input you need some stamina to finish one lesson per day. I always write down every lesson, only listening to the recording, in order to remember all vocabulary. If you want to finish one lesson per day, you have to invest about 1h daily, otherwise you won't digest everything.

The texts are written by someone who knows how to write. I'm halfway through the book and still have to find one text that I would call bad. In the Russian course I'm beyond lesson 50, even though I started 3 weeks later, and still have to find one text that I would call good. The texts in the Swedish version are intelligent and funny, the ones in the Russion course are stupid and embarrassing.

With half of the lessons under the belt, I must have aquired almost 2000 words within 6 weeks, if my calculation is correct. This allows me to understand about 80% of the lyrics in songs by Nordman without the need to look them up on the net. I leave it to the judgement of the reader whether this is another point for Assimil or one against Nordman.

Up to lesson 30 the book seems to be free of errors, but after that it hits you hard. There are obvious grammar mistakes in the exercises, once the lesson text contains a different word that what you hear in the recording, in one lesson there are several lines missing in the translation. This is annoying, but when the errors set in you know the language already well enough to spot them. The course hasn't been revised since the 80s (the Soviet Union still exists). Let's hope they won't correct the errors, because then the course may end up like the Russian one. The danger is real, since you can find complaints by whining wimps at amazon along the lines of: "This is too hard for me!!! Meeeeh!!!"

To cut a long story short, "Schwedisch ohne Mühe" is probably the best you can get if you know German at least reasonably well. I also bought a Swedish grammar of about 120 pages, and these two things should be sufficient to get a firm foundation.

6 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 107 messages over 14 pages: << Prev 1 24 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version