Language Learning Forum : Skandinavisk & Nordisk Post Reply
107 messages over 14 pages: 1 2 3 4 57 ... 6 ... 13 14 Next >>

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6462 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 41 of 107
11 April 2010 at 5:23pm | IP Logged 
tractor wrote:
In Scandinavia, or at least in Norway, "Scandinavia" is very often used to refer to Sweden, Denmark and Norway only, whereas the whole lot is referred to as the "Nordic countries".

This is also a normal way of separating things in Denmark, but there is some confusion about the use of these words. However "Nordic languages" includes Icelandic and Faroese, but not Finnish og Sami, and this usage is strictly adhered to.
1 person has voted this message useful

cordelia0507
United Kingdom
Joined 5597 days ago

1473 posts - 2176 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*
Studies: German, Russian

Message 42 of 107
11 April 2010 at 7:14pm | IP Logged 
Finland is one of us, who cares about the technicalities?

3 persons have voted this message useful

egill
Diglot
United States
Joined 5455 days ago

418 posts - 791 votes 
Speaks: Mandarin, English*
Studies: German, Spanish, Dutch

Message 43 of 107
11 April 2010 at 11:08pm | IP Logged 
I don't know if this is still on topic or not, but I'd like to request that Stefan Einarsson's (or Stefáns Einarssonar should you like) text Icelandic be added to the list of resources.

It is a complete reference grammar, graded reader, and glossary. It is also readily available and priced reasonably. Thank you!

Rikyu-san
Diglot
Denmark
Joined 5287 days ago

213 posts - 413 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, English
Studies: German, French

Message 44 of 107
12 April 2010 at 12:24am | IP Logged 
The thread is now updated, except for a huge list of Finnish resources I received in my mailbox some time ago. I will add these as well soon.

Thanks for all your input. They are all highly appreciated.

Emme
Triglot
Italy
Joined 5106 days ago

980 posts - 1594 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English, German
Studies: Russian, Swedish, French

Message 45 of 107
14 April 2010 at 10:57pm | IP Logged 
Hej! Thank you Rikyu-san for starting this list and keeping it updated.

I don’t think this has ever been mentioned on this forum: "Kom loss på svenska".

http://www.nordiska.su.se/komloss/

It’s an online Swedish course for beginners. It was created for exchange students at the University of Stockholm but, as it says in the introduction, ‘anyone who wants to learn Swedish is welcome to use the material’. It may not be a fancy website, but the method seems sound and the content manageable even for absolute beginners. By the way, the author is Roger Nyborg, one of the three authors (with Nils-Owe Pettersson and Britta Holm) behind Svenska utifrån: Lärobok i svenska a textbook much used in Swedish courses abroad (and a few years ago it was even more common than it is nowadays). More information on Svenska utifrån can be found here:

https://bookshop.si.se/shop/shop/showItem.asp?artnr=1076-5&i temID=7

As the website says, the book is not intended for self-study. Yet a motivated learner with some previous knowledge of Swedish (and possibly of language learning in general) can still find it useful even if they are using it on their own. At least this is my personal experience: I’ve been using it alongside other books and resources and I have liked it.

Finally, Rikyu-san, I haven’t seen it in this thread and I hope it belongs to your expanding list: SVTPlay.

http://svtplay.se/

SVTPlay is the Swedish equivalent of BBC iPlayer and many tv programmes are accessible from abroad (news, entertainment, documentaries, even TV-films and series—basically most SVT-produced programmes can be watched online for some weeks after broadcast also by viewers from outside of Sweden). And if you have a broadband connection the quality is pretty good.

3 persons have voted this message useful

PaulLambeth
United Kingdom
Joined 5132 days ago

244 posts - 315 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Icelandic, Hindi, Irish

Message 46 of 107
01 May 2010 at 3:18am | IP Logged 
Rikyu-san wrote:
The thread is now updated, except for a huge list of Finnish resources I received in my mailbox some time ago. I will add these as well soon.

Thanks for all your input. They are all highly appreciated.

I'm eager to see your list of Finnish resources! I've just decided to learn Finnish after reading through a fairly old textbook I found in my library, inspired by its apparent structure, condensation and lack of any Latin or Germanic elements that I've become accustomed to.

Although I've hardly scraped the surface of this book, it does focus on passages for reading and quick-fire points, so I feel it will be fulfilling. Its name is "Essential Finnish" by Maiji-Hellikki Aaltio ((C) 1964, published by University of London Press in this edition), if anyone wishes to delve further or knows of it. I assume the language hasn't changed much if at all in the last 46 years.

Thankyou Rikyu-san :)
2 persons have voted this message useful

mick33
United States
Joined 5683 days ago

1335 posts - 1632 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Finnish
Studies: Thai, Polish, Afrikaans, Hindi, Hungarian, Italian, Spanish, Swedish

Message 47 of 107
21 September 2010 at 10:45am | IP Logged 
I found few Faroese resources

mp3 files for Faroese: A language course for beginners These are supposed to supplement a book but I can't find the link for buying the book.

Kringvarp Faroese TV & radio website. I think some of the programming is in Danish as well.

Faroese Tutorial Very brief introdustion that explains pronunciation (unfortunately no sound files) and gives a few simple phrases.

Dimmalætting Largest newspaper in the Faroe Islands.

Sosialurin Another Faroese newspaper.

Faroese summer institute information Summer course at the University of the Faroe Islands that is only offered every other summer. Next course is in August 2011.
4 persons have voted this message useful

Lindsay19
Diglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5580 days ago

183 posts - 214 votes 
Speaks: English*, GermanC1
Studies: Swedish, Faroese, Icelandic

Message 48 of 107
09 October 2010 at 2:49pm | IP Logged 
mick33 wrote:
I found few Faroese resources
These are supposed to supplement a book but I can't find the link for buying the book.

I don't think there is a link where you can buy the book online. I ended up writing an
email to one of these Faroese bookstores (granted I don't remember which one), and was
told that they could ship it to me (at the time I was in the US).

H. N. J. Bókahandil

Rit&Rák Bókahandil

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 107 messages over 14 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 57 8 9 10 11 12 13 14  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version