Tetraglot
Canada
Joined 5282 days ago

304 posts - 417 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian, Spanish, French
Studies: Portuguese, Japanese

Message 1 of 6
20 February 2010 at 7:03pm | IP Logged 
I don't like to post anything that isn't of educational value, or could at least benefit
someone else, but I cannot resist this time. Frankly, this programme is more ridiculous
than most Internet "I made a million dollars in seventeen clicks" schemes, or "Lose 250
pounds in 20 hours of our exercise regimen"

101 Languages
of the World

1 person has voted this message useful

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6226 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 2 of 6
20 February 2010 at 7:57pm | IP Logged 
canada38 wrote:
I don't like to post anything that isn't of educational value, or could at least benefit
someone else, but I cannot resist this time. Frankly, this programme is more ridiculous
than most Internet "I made a million dollars in seventeen clicks" schemes, or "Lose 250
pounds in 20 hours of our exercise regimen"

101 Languages
of the World

I got a cheap copy of that quite a few years ago. It's certainly not worth the price that site charges, but for some light amusement while picking up some basic vocabulary in a range of languages, you can do worse.

I don't recommend it, but it's not entirely useless.

Jadoo1989
Diglot
Groupie
Joined 5420 days ago

51 posts - 60 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Irish, French

Message 3 of 6
20 February 2010 at 8:35pm | IP Logged 
Lol, I remember back many moons ago when I was first getting into languages as a young boy, I thought that
program sounded so cool. I bought it and while it does have some use, it's mostly useless. :P
2 persons have voted this message useful

fanatic
Octoglot
Australia
speedmathematics.com
Joined 6933 days ago

1152 posts - 1818 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, French, Afrikaans, Italian, Spanish, Russian, Dutch
Studies: Swedish, Norwegian, Polish, Modern Hebrew, Malay, Mandarin, Esperanto

Message 4 of 6
21 February 2010 at 5:59am | IP Logged 
If you use the program well it can be quite useful. I have used it to help with a number of languages.

You can make notes.
You can play the audio at four different speeds.
You can check the meaning of individual words.
I use it to hear dialogues completely in my target language.
I believe the return for each language is better than Pimsleur.
I print out the full text and the grammar notes.
You can replay a phrase as often as you like.

Barry Farber said it is one of the greatest gifts for language enthusiasts.

I use it for regular practice for a number of my languages. With a new language to get acquainted and with older languages (in study time) for practice and extra contact outside the regular course I am using.

I have recommended the program and I still do. It is as good as the use you make of it.

Edited by fanatic on 21 February 2010 at 6:01am

4 persons have voted this message useful

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5798 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 5 of 6
21 February 2010 at 11:29am | IP Logged 
I got it under £20 (=$30US) and have barely used it, but feel that it was a good buy at that price.

The only time I attempted to use it seriously was before a business trip to Norway. I ran through the entire Norwegian course in something like 3 hours, so there's not much there at all.

It's heavily dialogue based, but has flaws that other dialogue-heavy courses don't have.

Pimsleur recycles phrases/structures from one dialogue to the next, and uses multiple "variations on a theme" to demonstrate how the structure can be manipulated and altered in normal use. The dialogues in 101LotW are all very different from each other with very little shared material.
TY and Colloquial follow up each dialogue with tasks that ask you to employ the language points covered in the dialogue, but in a slightly different form or context. The exercises in 101LotW mostly use the exact same sentences as found in the dialogue.

101 Languages of the World is therefore not any use as a course, as it does not force you to generalise, instead allowing you to finish by memorising enough of the language to get through each section.
However, if you are serious about learning multiple languages, it is definitely useful as a secondary resource.

And the best bit? Most serious language learners overlook it, so the type of person who buys it is the same as would buy a Teach Yourself or Colloquial book and never get past chapter 2. This means that it's not too hard to get hold of second hand....
2 persons have voted this message useful

canada38
Tetraglot
Canada
Joined 5282 days ago

304 posts - 417 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian, Spanish, French
Studies: Portuguese, Japanese

Message 6 of 6
22 February 2010 at 1:32pm | IP Logged 
Okay okay maybe it's not so bad. My first impression when I saw the number of languages
per dollar was... well, it just seemed a little far fetched to me!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version