Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

What programs are good to learn grammar?

Language Learning Forum : Language Programs, Books & Tapes Post Reply
12 messages over 2 pages: 1 2  Next >>
Master Moron
United States
Joined 5379 days ago

19 posts - 20 votes

Message 1 of 12
21 February 2010 at 3:20am | IP Logged 
Right now I'm mainly using Byki to learn Spanish words. It's really good for learning vocabulary as I've learned over 2,000 items at this point, but I still need a lot of work on the grammar. Learning how to conjugate verbs correctly and using the correct pronouns can be difficult. Are there any programs that can help me with grammar? I am of course aware of the websites that simply lay out the grammar rules like a text book, but without any way to test your knowledge it doesn't seem very useful. Are there any programs out there that actually help you learn grammar? And keep in mind I have no money, so I'm talking about free programs here.
1 person has voted this message useful

Paskwc
Pentaglot
Canada
Joined 5472 days ago

450 posts - 624 votes 
Speaks: Hindi, Urdu*, Arabic (Levantine), French, English
Studies: Persian, Spanish

Message 2 of 12
21 February 2010 at 3:45am | IP Logged 
I'm still getting acquainted with Spanish, but from what I can tell the best (legally)
free things are FSI Spanish and the Destinos videos.

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5806 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 3 of 12
21 February 2010 at 11:56am | IP Logged 
MM,
You get what you pay for, as they say. FSI is outdated and a dubious methodology. Most of the free courses on the net are amateurish, basic and somewhat confusing (if someone has put a lot of time and money into working out how to teach something, they're going to want some return on their investment).

But here's the good news: you also get what your taxes pay for, so pop into a local library and talk to them about what they have in their catalogue. Even the charges for an inter-library loan are likely to be pretty small compared to the benefit you'll get from a proper course. I'm a big fan of Michel Thomas, but there are plenty of other popular courses out there.

Edited by Cainntear on 21 February 2010 at 11:57am

reltuk
Groupie
United States
Joined 6611 days ago

75 posts - 110 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, French

Message 4 of 12
21 February 2010 at 5:52pm | IP Logged 
Cainntear wrote:
You get what you pay for, as they say. FSI is outdated and a
dubious methodology.

I definitely don't agree with this quote. While a lot of free materials on the net aren't
that great, some actually are. The two most expensive components for French in
Action, for example, are available for free. All 3 levels of Rosetta Stone, on the other
hand, cost $539 USD, while 3 levels of Pimsleur cost $1035 USD. Neither of them will
take you as far as an $90 USD Assimil with Ease course. All prices are MSRP from the
manufacturers website, so you can find much better prices other places, including free
from the library or piracy, relationship of more expensive == better definitely doesn't
seem to hold as a general rule.

While it's true that the FSI no longer employs their courses which are available for
download from sites on the internet, I don't think this indicates a "dubious"
methodology. These courses aren't, for one, straight audio-lingal, since they include
quite a bit of grammar instruction in English. The fact remains that a lot of people
learned languages from these courses in the past, including a relatively strong
command of some complex grammar and syntax manipulation. The FSI doesn't seem
to have ever significantly revised their "time to Level III" estimates for particular
languages, despite the fact that pedagogy constantly improves. The things that are
probably improving the most are things like student's ability to stay motivated, not feel
stressed, feel good about the progress they're making, etc., and not the actual results
at the end of a course for someone who goes through the entire thing. Not that those
don't improve as well, but I don't think the differences are as big as some other factors
that really motivate changes in the language teaching environment.

Edit: On the other hand, I strongly agree, of course, with the general message of the
post, which seems to be "Libraries are great resources for a language learner on a tight
budget."

Edited by reltuk on 21 February 2010 at 5:54pm

Master Moron
United States
Joined 5379 days ago

19 posts - 20 votes

Message 5 of 12
02 March 2010 at 11:41pm | IP Logged 
Hmmm...did I post this topic in the books and tapes forum or did it get moved there? I meant to post it in the internet resources program, as I'm looking for some type of computer program as opposed to a book or a tape where they just give you the grammar rule without being able to practice what you learned.

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5806 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 6 of 12
03 March 2010 at 12:24am | IP Logged 
Believe me, you get more practice out of the exercises in books than out of most computer programs.

Computers should be infinitely flexible and offer more material than books, but by fixating on multimedia and recorded voices, they have actually ended up making variety more expensive.

Reltuk's point about Rosetta Stone is sound -- it's expensive, but it's not very good. All the money has gone into recording lots of words and sentences, but there is no flexibility in the recordings so the course doesn't have the same potential as a book.

ruskivyetr
Diglot
United States
Joined 5276 days ago

769 posts - 962 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Spanish, Russian, Polish, Modern Hebrew

Message 7 of 12
03 March 2010 at 1:56am | IP Logged 
If you want to learn grammar to what suits you, why not write some grammar drills
yourself? Use the vocabulary that you know and if you must reference a dictionary. All it
takes is some paper, a pencil, and your grammar book for reference when you write down
the drills.

Chris
Heptaglot
Japan
Joined 6916 days ago

287 posts - 452 votes 
Speaks: English*, Russian, Indonesian, French, Malay, Japanese, Spanish
Studies: Dutch, Korean, Mongolian

Message 8 of 12
03 March 2010 at 3:09am | IP Logged 
For Spanish there are many good grammar books out there, but as you're looking for something free, maybe a trip to your local public library is in order.

Have you also checked out about.com?

This discussion contains 12 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version