Triglot
Canada
Joined 5211 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Polish

Message 17 of 23
17 August 2010 at 3:33am | IP Logged 
I disagree with Cainntear. I think this method, when used properly, can produce excellent results. Speaking of results, I would be curious to know what kind of results the author has seen in his customers. If they are satisfied with their level of fluency after a few months, who are we to question the effectiveness of this method?

Since we don't have any information about the actual results, we just have to go by what can be gleaned from the website. I have to admit that beyond the marketing hype there isn't much information about the actual methodology of learning sentences by heart. The whole thing seems the be a version of sentence mining.

If it's just learning a random series of phrases, I would tend to agree with Cainntear in that it's just parroting. Then again, if people make spectacular progress, maybe there is something to be said for parroting.

I suspect there is a lot more than learning sentences randomly. I would assume there is some form of structured progression around certain subject and linguistic themes. In this case, the sentences are used to help the students internalize the structures and functioning of the language. Although the students learns a specific sentence, the goal ultimately is to make the student capable of using that sentence as a model to generate an infinite set of sentences based on the same model. For example, the student learns: "Thanks for being with us today". There is initially a phonetic sequence to master by constant repetition. But wait, there's a lot more. The student learns that that sentence is actually made up of components that can be modified or swapped out to generate:

Thanks for coming in
Thanks for calling
Thanks for dropping by
Thanks for sending your greetings
Thanks for sitting in for Peter
Thanks for replacing me at such last-minute notice
etc.

In essence, the initial sentence is the starting point of a process of creative derivation by substituting components of the original example. That is the theory that, in my opinion, underpins all systems of language learning. It is just implemented in very different ways. How NativeCoach does it, I'm not really sure.

Edited by s_allard on 17 August 2010 at 1:02pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

superchink
United States
Joined 5052 days ago

7 posts - 7 votes
Speaks: English*

Message 18 of 23
01 September 2010 at 10:45am | IP Logged 
This method is truly ingenious, and for so many reasons! If anyone has tried it, please let us know how it
worked for you.

Edited by superchink on 01 September 2010 at 10:45am

1 person has voted this message useful

Faraday
United States
Joined 5899 days ago

129 posts - 256 votes 
Speaks: German*

Message 19 of 23
01 September 2010 at 5:49pm | IP Logged 
It's actually pretty similar to Assimi courses, at least as I use them. It's been very effective for me. I listen more than I speak at first.

maydayayday
Pentaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5000 days ago

564 posts - 839 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Italian, SpanishB2, FrenchB2
Studies: Arabic (Egyptian), Russian, Swedish, Turkish, Polish, Persian, Vietnamese
Studies: Urdu

Message 20 of 23
01 September 2010 at 6:58pm | IP Logged 
I use a version of shadowing/parotting on my MP3 (usually on the bicycle so I can speak out loud). I am working on my prosody - rhythm speed volume pitch - to sound as much like a native user of the language as possible. I personally don't consider a native accent a goal but rhythm of speech does help natives understand, apparently.   

Here is what I do:
Make a recording which plays each phrase twice with a suitable gap between.
The first time has two purposes:
a) You get to hear a phrase/sentence/speech for the first time when you cut the track
b) You are able to adjust the length of the phrase, etc until you are comfortable with what is being said.

When in use the track is played once so you know your lines....
Then you get chance to mimic/follow the native speaker and follow the rsvp (ouch that looks a little french)   

You will soon learn to hear where you are 'out' with the native speaker.

Comments gratefully recieved.

slucido
Bilingual Diglot
Spain
https://goo.gl/126Yv
Joined 6456 days ago

1296 posts - 1781 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Spanish*, Catalan*
Studies: English

Message 21 of 23
01 September 2010 at 9:22pm | IP Logged 
Calro2 wrote:
Yes, my intention was not to create a thread about shadowing. I'm more curious about what people think of the "Native coach" method I posted a link for in my original post. The owner of the website basically says the key to fluency is repeating sentences you hear one-by-one until you feel comfortable enough to move on to the next one. To counter my earlier concern about just reading off the transcript the whole time, I will experiment with an instruction that two other forum members, Farley and Omicron, mentioned in connection with the old Linguaphone (I think) and Assimil courses, respectively. After seeing a sentence from a transcript, you're also supposed to look away and repeat it from memory. I guess this is a way of "assimilating" the language thoroughly.

Has anyone tried similar methods? If so, what were your experiences like?

P.S. To counter the assumption I see in many posts, including this thread, that every forum member is a guy, I will add here that I'm a female, to boost our representation :).

This seems the Chorus method:

http://olle-kjellin.com/SpeechDoctor/ProcLP98.html

The author, Olle Kjellin is a member of our forum and in this thread answers me how to use it with recordings:

http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?T ID=4261&PN=0&TPN=7

Here you have another thread about the chorus method:

http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?T ID=6281

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5162 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 22 of 23
01 September 2010 at 9:39pm | IP Logged 
maydayayday wrote:
I use a version of shadowing/parotting on my MP3 (usually on the bicycle so I can speak out loud).

Isn't it illegal to ride a bike with head/earphones on?

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5162 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 23 of 23
01 September 2010 at 9:46pm | IP Logged 
I much prefer doing this while watching TV: there is usually a very clear and natural context, the language is natural and there are pauses that allow me to assimilate certain things better by repeating them more than once.

This discussion contains 23 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 1 2

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version