RazielX
United States
Joined 6586 days ago

15 posts - 15 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese

Message 1 of 7
23 February 2010 at 4:17pm | IP Logged 
Howdy :) I'm trying to gather some supplies to start learning Italian, and I was wondering if anyone had any experience with language learning via iPhone. I think ItalianPod101.com is one application, but I was curious as to what else was out there, preferably without a monthly fee.

Does anyone have any experience with iPhone/iPod Touch apps when learning a language?

1 person has voted this message useful

jimbo
Tetraglot
Canada
Joined 6082 days ago

469 posts - 642 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin, Korean, French
Studies: Japanese, Latin

Message 2 of 7
24 February 2010 at 6:36am | IP Logged 
A dictionary on the iPhone/iPod Touch is a good thing.

Audio flashcards (i.e. regular flashcards with audio) are a good thing. I find them dull but they help. Need to spend less time playing video games and more time on the flashcards...

For French, TV5 has an app. Kind of cool to watch the news on your iPod. If you find Italian TV on your iPod, let me know. I've been meaning to start studying Italian.

Lots of stuff for Japanese, by the way.

RazielX
United States
Joined 6586 days ago

15 posts - 15 votes
Studies: Japanese

Message 3 of 7
24 February 2010 at 2:41pm | IP Logged 
Yeah :) There is an application called HJ Lite that teaches Japanese in a very interesting way. One of the features of the app is that it's like a textbook, but where you could hear the pronunciation of the words by clicking on them. An app that teaches other languages like that would be very helpful :)

ChiaBrain
Bilingual Diglot
United States
Joined 5596 days ago

402 posts - 512 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish*
Studies: Portuguese, Italian, French
Studies: German

Message 4 of 7
25 February 2010 at 3:07am | IP Logged 
I got the Collins dictionary for iPhone/iTouch and its great.
It has example sentences and a verb conjugator.
The software company that produces it is Ultralingua but its branded Collins in the
iTunes app store so I imagine the content is Collins and the software is Ultralingua.
Here's the URL to their web page:
Dictionaries

the iTunes store has more info though

I use it on my iPod Touch

Edited by ChiaBrain on 25 February 2010 at 3:08am

goosefrabbas
Triglot
Pro Member
United States
Joined 6156 days ago

393 posts - 475 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish
Studies: German, Italian
Personal Language Map

Message 5 of 7
25 February 2010 at 7:39am | IP Logged 
You could use the phone app for the iPhone. It works just like a real phone. Dial a number in Italy and hope they don't hang up on you! :P

magictom123
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5381 days ago

272 posts - 365 votes 
Studies: Italian, French

Message 6 of 7
25 February 2010 at 5:40pm | IP Logged 
This is the webapp I use for translations. I think it is very good.

www.tippytops.net/iphone/toktok/

you can also use apps like byki, which is a flashcard app. You can get it for free if you know where to
look...apparently.

Also, there's an app called wunderradio which can stream radio stations over 3g, wifi, even edge or wap in
some cases. I listen to Italian radio stations to help my understanding. For example, alot of stations have
adverts with telephone numbers in. Depending on your level you can work out phone numbers, listen to the
news etc

there are newspapers that have optimised sites for iPhone. Two of these include gazzetta della sport and la
repubblica. You can also read the news at yahoo.it etc.

You also install skype for iPhone and chat to Italians. Msn is perfectly fine for this as well on the iPhone.

Then there's YouTube where you could search for Italian related videos. Since I like cycling, I watch
interviews with Italian cyclist. You can also stream Italian songs.

there are numerous other little ways to learn Italian via your iPhone such as changing the language settings
into Italian. There are also 3rd party apps like isimpsons where you can stream every episode from every
season of the systems on your iPhone.

Finally, use your iPod feature to add Italian music, add assimil audio or even an all audio course such as
michel thomas.

I hope this helps in some way. It's certainly reminded me of how much I'm slipping by not utilising this
device as effectively as I could. Every few
minutes waiting in a queue at a bus stop etc can be made useful for language learning with the iPhone.

Ciao

Tom

magictom123
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5381 days ago

272 posts - 365 votes 
Studies: Italian, French

Message 7 of 7
25 February 2010 at 5:42pm | IP Logged 
Sorry for the spelling mistakes. My chubby mitts an the iPhone dont mix hahaha

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version