14 messages over 2 pages: 1 2  Next >>
Al-Irelandi
United Kingdom
Joined 5355 days ago

111 posts - 177 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 1 of 14
25 February 2010 at 2:55pm | IP Logged 
Hello all, hope all of you are in good health and being.

I want to to learn Japanese primarily to be able to read this script of Japanese (I 'heard' Japanese has 3 scripts), which script is it?

Likewise, what courses or materials will be useful so as to be able to get a good headstart in it?

Regards

Edited by al-Irlandee on 25 February 2010 at 2:57pm

1 person has voted this message useful

nescafe
Japan
Joined 5229 days ago

137 posts - 227 votes 

Message 2 of 14
25 February 2010 at 3:25pm | IP Logged 
This is not Japanese. Its Mandarin (Chinese). It would be some transalation of a Manga into Mandarin.
2 persons have voted this message useful

jondesousa
Tetraglot
United States
goo.gl/Zgg3nRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6084 days ago

227 posts - 297 votes 
Speaks: English*, Portuguese, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Mandarin, Spanish

Message 4 of 14
25 February 2010 at 4:36pm | IP Logged 
al-Irlandee,

The above two posts are very helpful and correct. The above is a Mandarin translation of a Japanese manga. Japanese manga will be different in that they will have the hiragana and katakana phonetic syllabaries in addition to kanji.

I would highly recommend reading Rainbowhill's blog, http://blog.rainbowhill.com.au/, which discusses how to learn to read Japanese via manga, or in other words, how to read manga while learning Japanese.

Japanese is not a simple language to learn and takes significant effort to learn to read and speak well, but if you persevere it is well worth the reward, I promise.

Good luck,

Jon

TixhiiDon
Tetraglot
Japan
Joined 5284 days ago

772 posts - 1474 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese, German, Russian
Studies: Georgian

Message 7 of 14
25 February 2010 at 10:19pm | IP Logged 
Although you heard correctly that Japanese uses 3 scripts, it's not a case of choosing
which one you want to study and abandoning the other two. The three scripts are used
together in single sentences and even single words, so you have to learn all of
them.

Fortunately, two of the three, hiragana and katakana, are quite easy to learn. Each
one represents a syllable (i.e. a consonant/vowel combination) with the exception of
"n" which stands alone. For alphabet users like us English speakers, this concept is
easy to grasp and you can learn hiragana and katakana in a week or two, I would say.

The other script is kanji, Chinese characters adapted for use with Japanese. This is
the hard part - you need to know around 1000 characters to be able to read simple
Japanese texts and closer to 2000 for newspapers and novels. Each kanji has it's own
meaning, for example 木 means tree, 林 means "wood", and 森 means "forest". You can
also combine the kanji to form other words. For example, 建 means "construction", 材
means "material", and together, 建材 means, you guessed it, "construction materials".
Unfortunately, in most cases kanji are not so logical, and to compound matters, most
kanji have several difference pronunciations depending on the context in which they are
used. So in order to know each kanji fully, you need to be able to recognize it, write
it, know its basic meaning, know its meaning in compounds with other kanji, and know
all its pronunciations in all contexts. Don't worry too much though - not even
Japanese people know all kanji in all contexts.

Edited by TixhiiDon on 25 February 2010 at 10:20pm

Al-Irelandi
United Kingdom
Joined 5355 days ago

111 posts - 177 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 8 of 14
03 March 2010 at 12:35pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for the advice all who posted.

I've decided to go get myself a Naruto manga, as it's written for youngsters, hence the Kanji has the symbol spelled out above in a superscript. Likwise I've started learning the hiragana and katakana scripts. Smart.fm is a real lifesaver in regards to them. Obrigado to all.

This discussion contains 14 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version