FinalFan3
United Kingdom
Joined 5632 days ago

5 posts - 5 votes
Speaks: English*

Message 1 of 2
25 February 2010 at 7:20pm | IP Logged 
Hello,

I got an A in A Level French a couple of years ago. Since then, I've tried to keep to keep up my French a bit, but I'm sure I'm not at that level now. I'd say I was lower intermediate level... I can read articles with a bit of difficulty, but listening to the radio for example is too difficult for me.

Lately, I've decided I want to continue with French and I'm using the Assimil series for Japanese and I'm finding it really good, so I'm thinking about getting the French one. I want to get to a level where I am confident in reading newspapers, listening to the radio and engaging in everyday conversation. Would I find this course too easy and boring? Could I get it and maybe skip lessons at the beginning? It's annoying that there doesn't seem to be any sample material around...
1 person has voted this message useful

reltuk
Groupie
United States
Joined 6598 days ago

75 posts - 110 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, French

Message 2 of 2
25 February 2010 at 8:57pm | IP Logged 
The course is comprised of 113 graded lessons. It seems from your post that you
would benefit from it, but the early lessons are going to be really easy for you. For
verbs, French with Ease deals largely with present, passé composé, imparfait and future
simple. Le present subjonctif et le conditionnel are dealt with somewhat in the last
third of the book, and they appear where necessary in some constructions in the
earlier lessons, but I'm not convinced they covered in a way that would give someone
good active command of them. The course includes a fair amount of vocabulary
(maybe about 2000 words, which is what some Assimil advertising claims...this is
always up for debate on these forums).

If what you need work on is the subjonctif, the conditionnel, finer points of written text
construction, etc., then Using French might be better for you. The criteria for starting
with Using French, according to the introductory text, is:
Quote:
If you have finished French with Ease, or if you have a good intermediate
knowledge, which covers the major tenses and their aspects (present, future, passé
composé, conditional and a basic grounding in the present subjunctive), the formation
and position of adjectives and adverbs and a vocabulary of some 500 words, then you
are ready.

1 person has voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version