Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Assimil availability

  Tags: Assimil
 Language Learning Forum : Language Programs, Books & Tapes Post Reply
19 messages over 3 pages: 13  Next >>
goosefrabbas
Triglot
Pro Member
United States
Joined 4764 days ago

393 posts - 475 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish
Studies: German, Italian
Personal Language Map

 
 Message 9 of 19
27 February 2010 at 10:34pm | IP Logged 
tractor wrote:
goosefrabbas wrote:
How many native English speakers think it's a good idea to learn other languages?
Of those, how many would put up the effort?
Of those, how many would spend close to $100 on a course?
English speakers aren't exactly the people you'd want to market a language course to. Sure, by the sheer number
of English speakers it would be a good idea to target them. But if an English speaker already knows another
language it's probably a common one like French, Spanish, or German, which Assimil has the most courses based
in.

Couldn't exactly the same thing be said about French speakers?


It could be. But French speakers have more geographical/economical reasons to learn other languages.
1 person has voted this message useful



tractor
Tetraglot
Senior Member
Norway
Joined 3849 days ago

1349 posts - 2292 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, Spanish, Catalan
Studies: French, German, Latin

 
 Message 10 of 19
27 February 2010 at 11:30pm | IP Logged 
goosefrabbas wrote:
It could be. But French speakers have more geographical/economical reasons to learn
other languages.

Yes they have, but do they actually learn other languages?

Look for instance at these statistics:
http://en.wikip
edia.org/wiki/Languages_of_the_European_Union#Language_skill s_of_citizens


Edited by tractor on 28 February 2010 at 10:23am

1 person has voted this message useful



datsunking1
Diglot
Senior Member
United States
Joined 3981 days ago

1014 posts - 1533 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: German, Russian, Dutch, French

 
 Message 12 of 19
02 March 2010 at 6:15pm | IP Logged 
kikenyoy wrote:
tractor wrote:


Sometimes they will make new courses, eg. German With Ease instead of German Without Toil. But I don't know if
they will ever stop selling a particular course without making a new one.


They used to sell a Russian program for English speakers which is no longer being produced.


I recall from another thread I made that I member here said that they WERE making another one for English speakers (updated of course, because the last one was from 1951) :D I'M SO HAPPY! I hope they didn't stop it's production!!

1 person has voted this message useful



reltuk
Groupie
United States
Joined 5212 days ago

75 posts - 110 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, French

 
 Message 13 of 19
02 March 2010 at 6:56pm | IP Logged 
Like most book publishers, I would imagine Assimil would stop selling a particular course if they ran out of stock and it was too expensive to do another print run, given the rate at which the course sold when it was in stock. I don't know how likely that it to happen for any particular course though.
1 person has voted this message useful



Johntm
Senior Member
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 3818 days ago

616 posts - 725 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

 
 Message 14 of 19
02 March 2010 at 7:43pm | IP Logged 
reltuk wrote:
Like most book publishers, I would imagine Assimil would stop selling a particular course if they ran out of stock and it was too expensive to do another print run, given the rate at which the course sold when it was in stock. I don't know how likely that it to happen for any particular course though.
Of course, if they cannot make a profit anymore, there is no reason to keep producing. And companies are all about profit.

@datsunking1: I have the .pdf file for Russian without Toil, if you want a copy. I'm not sure how I got it or the quality of it, as I have not looked at it though.
2 persons have voted this message useful



goosefrabbas
Triglot
Pro Member
United States
Joined 4764 days ago

393 posts - 475 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish
Studies: German, Italian
Personal Language Map

 
 Message 15 of 19
02 March 2010 at 8:32pm | IP Logged 
Johntm wrote:
reltuk wrote:
Like most book publishers, I would imagine Assimil would stop selling a particular course if they ran out of stock and it was too expensive to do another print run, given the rate at which the course sold when it was in stock. I don't know how likely that it to happen for any particular course though.
Of course, if they cannot make a profit anymore, there is no reason to keep producing. And companies are all about profit.

@datsunking1: I have the .pdf file for Russian without Toil, if you want a copy. I'm not sure how I got it or the quality of it, as I have not looked at it though.


I just ordered Russisch Ohne Mühe a few days ago for about $10. Now I just gotta learn German to a decent level. :(
1 person has voted this message useful



goosefrabbas
Triglot
Pro Member
United States
Joined 4764 days ago

393 posts - 475 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish
Studies: German, Italian
Personal Language Map

 
 Message 16 of 19
03 March 2010 at 2:31am | IP Logged 
tractor wrote:
goosefrabbas wrote:
It could be. But French speakers have more geographical/economical reasons to learn
other languages.

Yes they have, but do they actually learn other languages?

Look for instance at these statistics:
http://en.wikip
edia.org/wiki/Languages_of_the_European_Union#Language_skill s_of_citizens


Hm. Interesting. Because the source study for the chart you pointed me to shows this:

D48b-d Which languages do you speak well enough in order to be able to have a conversation, excluding your mother tongue?

Percent of people in France / UK who speak
1+ languages -------    51 / 38
2+ languages -------    21 / 16
3+ languages -------     4 / 6
0 languages --------    49 / 62

Very convincing data, indeed. :)

Edited by goosefrabbas on 03 March 2010 at 2:42am



1 person has voted this message useful



This discussion contains 19 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 13  Next >>


Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version

You cannot post new topics in this forum - You cannot reply to topics in this forum - You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum - You cannot create polls in this forum - You cannot vote in polls in this forum


This page was generated in 0.3281 seconds.


DHTML Menu By Milonic JavaScript
Copyright 2020 FX Micheloud - All rights reserved
No part of this website may be copied by any means without my written authorization.