28 messages over 4 pages: 1 2 3 4  Next >>
Faraday
United States
Joined 5900 days ago

129 posts - 256 votes 
Speaks: German*

Message 1 of 28
26 February 2010 at 5:23pm | IP Logged 
I recently ordered some Assimil books, and was surprised by the drastic decline in the physical quality of the books.

Is anyone annoyed by Assimil's decision to switch from flexible, but durable, hard covers to a much more flimsy soft covers? The previous incarnations were able to withstand months of tough use, but the newer prints are much more delicate, and their signatures are haphazardly glued to the spine. In my copy of Le Suedois sans peine, for example, I can see gaps in the spine where glue was not properly filled.

Has anyone had issues with these newer Assimil books falling apart prematurely? I would gladly pay a few extra euros for more durable books.
5 persons have voted this message useful

Mark88
United Kingdom
Joined 5461 days ago

15 posts - 21 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: German

Message 2 of 28
26 February 2010 at 6:01pm | IP Logged 
What I dislike the most about the new ones is... no little red-rope-bookmark-thingy-
whatever-you-call-it!
2 persons have voted this message useful

Breogan
Bilingual Tetraglot
Groupie
Spain
Joined 5698 days ago

42 posts - 48 votes
Speaks: Spanish*, Galician*, French, English
Studies: German, Russian, Arabic (classical)

Message 3 of 28
26 February 2010 at 6:06pm | IP Logged 
I agree absolutely, the great majority of their books have now this poor format, even without changing the content. Just a few still have their previous much better shape. If you're interested in any particular language, hurry up and see on their web whether or not it has been spoilt. I don't see the price has fallen either after this change.

Yes, shame on them, and the lace marker has been removed as well.

Paskwc
Pentaglot
Canada
Joined 5459 days ago

450 posts - 624 votes 
Speaks: Hindi, Urdu*, Arabic (Levantine), French, English
Studies: Persian, Spanish

Message 4 of 28
26 February 2010 at 7:37pm | IP Logged 
Mine is a soft cover. It's taken A LOT of abuse but it isn't falling apart just yet.
1 person has voted this message useful

OlafP
Triglot
Germany
Joined 5217 days ago

261 posts - 667 votes 
Speaks: German*, French, English

Message 5 of 28
27 February 2010 at 2:51pm | IP Logged 
The book of the latest "Le Russe" is such a cheap-looking paperback as well, but my Swedish one is a hardcover. It is sad that the lace marker is missing in the new books. However, what annoys me the most is that the book doesn't stay open when you put it on the table. I use to write down the lesson texts, listening to the recording. Of course, I want to check my spelling against the book. So I need one hand for the pen, one for the mp3-player and one to prevent the paperback book from flipping over. I must confess that I was born with a terrible handicap: I've got only two hands!

On the other hand (sic!) this is consistent with modern day computing: you need two hands for the keyboard and another one for the mouse. If a program provides shortcuts, you usually find them listed under "Help for handicapped people" or so.

Woodpecker
Triglot
United States
Joined 5593 days ago

351 posts - 590 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (Written), Arabic (Egyptian)
Studies: Arabic (classical)

Message 6 of 28
27 February 2010 at 2:58pm | IP Logged 
OlafP wrote:
On the other hand (sic!)

(sic) is used with a quote to indicate that unconventional usage or spelling was in the original and is not a transcription error. For example: "The House of Representatives shall chuse [sic] their Speaker ..."

What you used was a pun.

OlafP
Triglot
Germany
Joined 5217 days ago

261 posts - 667 votes 
Speaks: German*, French, English

Message 8 of 28
27 February 2010 at 3:58pm | IP Logged 
Woodpecker, your comment is correct, but I had something different in mind. I admit that it goes around too many corners to be obvious. "One the one/other hand" is an idiom that seems to refer to the fact that you have two hands. In the ironic tone that I used, assuming that people are supposed to have three hands nowadays, it would not be clear what "other" means. "On the other hand" is therefore an old-fashioned way that refers to the second of your three hands. Come to think of it, "second hand" would have allowed for another pun.

Edited by OlafP on 27 February 2010 at 3:59pm

This discussion contains 28 messages over 4 pages: 2 3 4  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version