Triglot
New Zealand
Joined 6102 days ago

851 posts - 1074 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: English*, German, French

Message 1 of 4
27 February 2010 at 1:39am | IP Logged 
This is a general reference thread for online media stores for Korean. These can be either Korean-language and Korea-based stores, or English language stores that sell out Korea.

So far I've seen Aladdin.co.kr, but judging by a response I got on Yahoo Answers, they don't seem to accept credit card purchases that use a foreign bank account.

EDIT: Changed the title from "Korean DVD and bookstores".

Korea-based online stores:
www.Aladdin.co.kr

Overseas-based online stores:
www.YeAsia.com
www.hollym.com

Edited by ChristopherB on 28 February 2010 at 3:34am

1 person has voted this message useful

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5321 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Korean, Japanese

Message 2 of 4
27 February 2010 at 2:13am | IP Logged 
The two I've actually bought items from are YesAsia.com (based in Hong Kong) and HanBooks.com (based in the US). Both sell Korean CDs and DVDs and other various items, but YesAsia doesn't sell Korean books (though they do have Japanese and Chinese books, oddly enough). I've bought audio CDs from YesAsia and textbooks from Hanbooks.

Two other resources I know of for Korean books (though I haven't ordered from either personally) are http://www.hollym.com/ (based in the US; also a publisher of Korean-related books, including the very nice "Minjung" dictionaries) and http://www.cheng-tsui.com/catalog/korean (also based in the US).

I know YesAsia ships overseas and takes a variety of payment methods (including Paypal), but I'm not sure about the other 3 as I'm in the US already, so I've had no reason to check.

Almost forgot, Hanbooks.com has a very decent selection of bilingual (Korean + English) books as well as a very large selection of Korean translations of non-Korean books (covering both classic and modern literature). They, of course, have original Korean literature as well.

Edited by Warp3 on 27 February 2010 at 2:19am

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6225 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 3 of 4
27 February 2010 at 5:16am | IP Logged 
I've ordered from hollym; it went smoothly.

Kane King
Australia
Joined 4854 days ago

2 posts - 2 votes
Studies: English*

Message 4 of 4
09 January 2011 at 9:51am | IP Logged 
I had a chance to order Korean books and DVDs from a bookstore - http://www.bookinbooks.com .
I wired money through my cousin who stayed in Korea.
But they seem to accept payment through Paypal as well.

They have lots of Korean books and non-Korean books at the same time.
Everything was fine thanks to their kind responses and help.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version