United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5203 days ago

616 posts - 725 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 17 of 25
04 March 2010 at 5:13am | IP Logged 
Elexi wrote:

As to Michel Thomas German - I had completed CD1 before deciding on my 'do the Assimil passive phase first' experiment (i.e. not speaking, not being obsessed with forming sentences, but taking in the language relatively passively in the fashion of the Methode Assimil). I think if you like the progress made with Pimsleur maybe you could either drop Assimil for now and take up Michel Thomas, or do both - this will provide you with the grammatical explanations that Pimsleur lacks in non technical language, whilst covering the same ground and a similar vocabulary (I am talking about the foundation course, the advanced goes beyond Pimsleur, although I think the advanced courses are the best thing about Michel Thomas).

I like the explanations Michel Thomas gives. I find that Pimsleur and Michel Thomas complement each other well (at least in my opinion). I plan on adding Assimil as soon as I can get myself to a bookstore to buy the book.
1 person has voted this message useful

lagwagon555
Diglot
Groupie
New Zealand
Joined 5900 days ago

38 posts - 47 votes
Speaks: English*, Esperanto
Studies: Japanese

Message 18 of 25
08 March 2010 at 8:23am | IP Logged 
If someone with pro membership can search back through my previous posts and find a link, I made a topic which is exactly the same as this. I was new to the Assimil type learning experience, and was used to instant results of Teach Yourself and Pimsleur. I wasn't used to Assimil, and felt like I was going nowhere. I actually ended up giving up on French.

However, I read more and more about it, and a few years later picked up the Japanese Assimil course. I can tell you it's incredibly effective, you just need patience, and to understand that you really are leaning, even if it doesn't really 'click' like other learning methods. All I can say is just keep hacking at the lessons, repeat the audio tracks in your free time, and don't think about how it's not clicking. If you keep going through the course, you will definitely find yourself assimilating the language.

This is exactly the same advice that people gave me, but I ignored it and dropped French altogether. But now I gave it a second go with Japanese, I completely recommend Assimil. You just need to accept that you're learning, instead of dwelling on wether it feels like you're learning or not :)
4 persons have voted this message useful

datsunking1
Diglot
United States
Joined 5366 days ago

1014 posts - 1533 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: German, Russian, Dutch, French

Message 19 of 25
09 March 2010 at 2:43am | IP Logged 

Quote:
I like the explanations Michel Thomas gives. I find that Pimsleur and Michel Thomas complement each other well (at least in my opinion). I plan on adding Assimil as soon as I can get myself to a bookstore to buy the book.

Assimil is very difficult to find in bookstores, I've searched high and low. I'd order it off of Amazon.com, the German program is $34 and comes with CDs. The 1951 "German Without Toil" is very good also, I have it on my flash drive.

I print out 5 pages a day (school library limit) and I'm making a makeshift book out of the pages :D I have the audio on CD now too :)

Here is the link to the German program (German With Ease)

http://www.amazon.com/German-Ease-Day-Method/dp/2700501322

THIS IS THE BOOK ONLY VERSION. I believe the CD+ book editions are on back order. I have the Italian one, it's fantastic.

-Jordan

Edited by datsunking1 on 09 March 2010 at 2:49am

spanishlearner
Groupie
France
Joined 5235 days ago

51 posts - 81 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*

Message 20 of 25
09 March 2010 at 3:24am | IP Logged 
For my taste at least, I've found that Assimil is most useful when you already know the basics of a language. The grammatical presentation is too disperse and you're left wondering for most of the book the reason behind a lot of things. It would be best in my opinion to start with an old Teach Yourself or Colloquial, or a concise grammar, and then master the concepts learnt with Assimil.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Johntm
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5203 days ago

616 posts - 725 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 21 of 25
09 March 2010 at 4:06am | IP Logged 
datsunking1 wrote:

Quote:

Assimil is very difficult to find in bookstores, I've searched high and low. I'd order it off of Amazon.com, the German program is $34 and comes with CDs. The 1951 "German Without Toil" is very good also, I have it on my flash drive.

I print out 5 pages a day (school library limit) and I'm making a makeshift book out of the pages :D I have the audio on CD now too :)

Here is the link to the German program (German With Ease)

http://www.amazon.com/German-Ease-Day-Method/dp/2700501322

THIS IS THE BOOK ONLY VERSION. I believe the CD+ book editions are on back order. I have the Italian one, it's fantastic.

-Jordan
Haha that's awesome how you print it out at your school library. My school library charges a dime a page so I might as well buy the book. There are some used bookstores by me that might have it...

tractor
Tetraglot
Norway
Joined 5234 days ago

1349 posts - 2292 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, Spanish, Catalan
Studies: French, German, Latin

Message 22 of 25
09 March 2010 at 9:34am | IP Logged 
spanishlearner wrote:
For my taste at least, I've found that Assimil is most useful when you already know the basics of a language. The grammatical presentation is too disperse and you're left wondering for most of the book the reason behind a lot of things. It would be best in my opinion to start with an old Teach Yourself or Colloquial, or a concise grammar, and then master the concepts learnt with Assimil.

An alternative is to use two (or more) different methods at the same time; e.g. Assimil and an old TY.

datsunking1
Diglot
United States
Joined 5366 days ago

1014 posts - 1533 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: German, Russian, Dutch, French

Message 23 of 25
09 March 2010 at 5:11pm | IP Logged 
tractor wrote:
spanishlearner wrote:

An alternative is to use two (or more) different methods at the same time; e.g. Assimil and an old TY.

Any ideas where to find old TY courses? I've peaked through a couple at the library and I love the format, I just can't find them for sale :/

spanishlearner
Groupie
France
Joined 5235 days ago

51 posts - 81 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*

Message 24 of 25
09 March 2010 at 5:16pm | IP Logged 
datsunking1 wrote:
Any ideas where to find old TY courses? I've peaked through a couple at the library and I love the format, I just can't find them for sale :/

AbeBooks.com, Amazon.com, Amazon.co.uk

This discussion contains 25 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 24  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version