Diglot
Groupie
Joined 5433 days ago

51 posts - 60 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Irish, French

Message 11 of 48
17 March 2010 at 11:32pm | IP Logged 
if you don't, message me and I'll see if I can help you find what you're looking for.
1 person has voted this message useful

magictom123
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5393 days ago

272 posts - 365 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, French

Message 12 of 48
29 July 2010 at 5:23pm | IP Logged 
Is anyone currently working through this. I am using Assimil New French with ease but
have started watching and rewatching the French in action videos. I have the audiofiles
but havent really bothered to go through them.

What do you suppose would be the benefit of just watching the videos alongside doing
assimil. I am only only lesson 3-4 of FIA and lesson 13 of assimil. At this point,
there seems to be an overlap in quite a bit of the vocab used. Are the audiofiles worth
while. I have listened to one and it seems to be inda pimsleur-ish and a bit dull -
maybe I am wrong though.

skchi
Groupie
United States
Joined 5545 days ago

57 posts - 86 votes 
Studies: French

Message 13 of 48
29 July 2010 at 6:30pm | IP Logged 
I'm working through the FIA videos right now, and I just finished lesson 12. I've taken French classes for a few years, so I'm not a total beginner.

I thought that the first 5 lessons or so were fairly easy (they basically repeated a lot of stuff that I remember from my French classes). After that, the lessons seem to quickly get more difficult. I looked through my notes, and I wrote down many more words and phrases for lessons 10, 11, and 12 than I did for the previous lessons.

One thing that initially disappointed me was the story (or lack of it). You probably noticed that the first few lessons are basically just an introduction. You see the professor in the classroom, talking to the students. The professor tells them that they're going to put together a story and describes the characters, etc. That "introduction" part lasted for about 10 lessons. I'm finally to the point when the story is taking off. I'm excited about that, because I assume that a big part of the appeal of FIA is the continuing story and the characters.

So far, I definitely feel that the videos are valuable. I learn enough vocab and grammar in each 30 minute video to make it worth my time. Also, I really need to work on listening comprehension, and the videos are certainly helping me with that.

magictom123
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5393 days ago

272 posts - 365 votes 
Studies: Italian, French

Message 14 of 48
29 July 2010 at 11:06pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for the response. Yeah, I really feel that listening comprehension is what I am
going to gain most from this course. Of course, the video's include a specific
instruction element alongside the overall effect of immersion, as today's video explains
the difference between articles defini and indefini but I feel MT and assimil are where
this will sink in properly for me. I think by reinforcing Assimil with FIA, I am gaining
a good passive understanding from the language due to the vocab and expressions being
displayed on screen. I just wonder what other people are doing who may only have access
to the videos to get the maximum from the material.

johntm93
United States
Joined 5127 days ago

587 posts - 746 votes 
2 sounds
Studies: German, Spanish

Message 15 of 48
30 July 2010 at 4:41am | IP Logged 
Arekkusu wrote:
Jadoo1989 wrote:
You can find the complete audio (over one gig) plus the complete
textbook and workbook lessons 1-26 online, if
you know where to look.

... and if you don't?
FIA is free right?
Then it shouldn't be illegal to torrent, so get µtorrent (or another torrent app) and download this.
If it's not, I'll take down the link.

Andy E
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6903 days ago

1651 posts - 1939 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French

Message 16 of 48
30 July 2010 at 7:01am | IP Logged 
magictom123 wrote:
I just wonder what other people are doing who may only have access to the videos to get the maximum from the material.

It's not so much doing as did. I used them precisely for what you've already noted - listening comprehension. The rate of speech and differing voices is ideal for that. I didn't have access to any of the audio or textbooks at the time, so I just went over and over them until I got every word. I had a transcript of the first 26 lessons which helped as well - you can now get one for all 52.

@John: I think that's a torrent for the videos rather than the one mentioned above. If you want a summary of what's available online, take a look here

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 48 messages over 6 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version