Diglot
China
Joined 5520 days ago

670 posts - 892 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: Mandarin

Message 9 of 30
05 March 2010 at 10:50am | IP Logged 
Ah, that's interesting, I didn't know that.
Still, even when going from English to German I find it hard to believe that such a program can take you to " I can understand the main point of many radio or TV programmes on current affairs or topics of personal or professional interest when the delivery is relatively slow and clear.", and I definitely refuse to believe that ANY program can make you "can understand most TV news and current affairs programmes. I can understand the majority of films in standard dialect", whether it's company policy or not! ;)
1 person has voted this message useful

tractor
Tetraglot
Norway
Joined 5238 days ago

1349 posts - 2292 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, Spanish, Catalan
Studies: French, German, Latin

Message 10 of 30
05 March 2010 at 11:29am | IP Logged 
Why do you refuse to believe that? Have you tried to work your way through an entire Assimil or Linguaphone Complete course?
2 persons have voted this message useful

Pyx
Diglot
China
Joined 5520 days ago

670 posts - 892 votes 

Message 11 of 30
05 March 2010 at 1:07pm | IP Logged 
tractor wrote:
Why do you refuse to believe that? Have you tried to work your way through an entire Assimil or Linguaphone Complete course?

Because it took me 8 years of useless school education plus another two years or so of self-study to reach that level in English. Surely an "entire Assimil or Linguaphone Complete course" accounts for less of that?!

tractor
Tetraglot
Norway
Joined 5238 days ago

1349 posts - 2292 votes 

Message 12 of 30
05 March 2010 at 1:43pm | IP Logged 
Sure it does. But it is not only how long you study, but how you study, the materials you use, how often you study, your motivation, ...
2 persons have voted this message useful

Pyx
Diglot
China
Joined 5520 days ago

670 posts - 892 votes 

Message 13 of 30
05 March 2010 at 2:25pm | IP Logged 
tractor wrote:
Sure it does. But it is not only how long you study, but how you study, the materials you use, how often you study, your motivation, ...

Oh, then you're saying that, if I had instead studied Assimil exactly in the manner laid out in the course, for 6 hours a day, with perfect motivation, until I would have concluded the course, I would afterwards have been able to "understand the majority of films in standard dialect", "understand contemporary literary prose", "take an active part in discussion in familiar contexts, accounting for and sustaining my views", "explain a viewpoint on a topical issue giving the advantages and disadvantages of various options", and "write letters highlighting the personal significance of events and experience"? Is that what you're telling me?!

tractor
Tetraglot
Norway
Joined 5238 days ago

1349 posts - 2292 votes 

Message 14 of 30
05 March 2010 at 2:39pm | IP Logged 
Pyx wrote:
tractor wrote:

Oh, then you're saying that, if I had instead studied Assimil exactly in the manner laid out in the course, for 6 hours a day, with perfect motivation, until I would have concluded the course, I would afterwards have been able to "understand the majority of films in standard dialect", "understand contemporary literary prose", "take an active part in discussion in familiar contexts, accounting for and sustaining my views", "explain a viewpoint on a topical issue giving the advantages and disadvantages of various options", and "write letters highlighting the personal significance of events and experience"? Is that what you're telling me?!

I don't know if it works as they say. I am currently doing the Assimil German course, so maybe I'll find out (but I am using lots of additional materials as well).

Pyx
Diglot
China
Joined 5520 days ago

670 posts - 892 votes 

Message 15 of 30
05 March 2010 at 2:55pm | IP Logged 
tractor wrote:
Pyx wrote:
tractor wrote:

I don't know if it works as they say. I am currently doing the Assimil German course, so maybe I'll find out (but I am using lots of additional materials as well).

Then let me know if you can do all that afterwards. If you will, I'll be the first in line, to buy a couple of Assimil classes. But I just have that feeling I'll be able to save that money.

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6224 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 16 of 30
05 March 2010 at 3:18pm | IP Logged 
Pyx wrote:
tractor wrote:
Pyx wrote:
tractor wrote:

Then let me know if you can do all that afterwards. If you will, I'll be the first in line, to buy a couple of Assimil classes. But I just have that feeling I'll be able to save that money.

You'll be glad to know that fanatic has already done so and written about it.

It didn't take him anywhere near 6 hours a day either.

Classroom language learning is extremely inefficient.

Edited by Volte on 05 March 2010 at 3:19pm

This discussion contains 30 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 13 4  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version