kyssäkaali
Diglot
United States
Joined 5334 days ago

203 posts - 376 votes 
Speaks: English*, Finnish

Message 9 of 17
11 March 2010 at 3:15am | IP Logged 
Just popping in to say the title of this thread is adorable. n_n I actually glanced over it and knew instantly it was on a pun on some language and was trying to think in my head what it could be, and came up only with Føroyar, lol.
1 person has voted this message useful

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
teango.wordpress.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5337 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Russian
Studies: Hawaiian, French, Toki Pona

Message 10 of 17
11 March 2010 at 12:01pm | IP Logged 
Here's a sample of Frisian poetry from 1846, originally taken from the Gutenburg Project.

And something a bit more contemporary, a collection of free modern Frisian songs from the main official website, if you ever wondered what Frisian music sounds like:

Van Wieren - cover of "One" by U2 (1)
Van Wieren (2)
AtMit
Pilatus Pas
Katterpillaar (1)
Katterpillaar (2)
Sephyros
Waldfame
Ljoubjr

Well...I'm all "url linked out" now...and still quite clueless about the text or what they're really singing about. However the songs seemed cool and I hope you like them, and I do notice that my knowledge of German is far more useful than English for picking out the odd word here and there.. :)

Edited by Teango on 11 March 2010 at 12:15pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6484 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 11 of 17
11 March 2010 at 3:07pm | IP Logged 
I have seen the Doutzen Kroes video and the deal with the brown cow, and I can more or less follow the conversations even without looking at the subtitles. But I do it through my Dutch (which is just at the basic level), not through my English.

JW
Hexaglot
United States
youtube.com/user/egw
Joined 5903 days ago

1802 posts - 2011 votes 
22 sounds
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, Ancient Greek, French, Biblical Hebrew
Studies: Luxembourgish, Dutch, Greek, Italian

Message 12 of 17
11 March 2010 at 10:21pm | IP Logged 
ruskivyetr wrote:
Even so I think we should start a small group of West Frisian language learners. I can check Amazon.de for books(I already checked the English speaking sites a few weeks ago, there's nothing :P ). Who would be interested in learning even a bit?

If you speak Dutch, it takes very little effort to get the hang of Frisian. However, going beyond that just doesn't make much sense from a cost/benefit standpoint--unless you are planning to live in Friesland. And I certainly wouldn't learn Frisian until you learn Dutch.

If you really want to learn it, check out the Afûk Foundation which is dedicated promoting the Frisian language:

http://www.afuk.nl/ferfolch/nl-menuorganisaasje.html

Also, there is a Frisian Bible here:

http://www.holyhome.nl/Fryske%20Bibel_Wumkes_1943.pdf

tracker465
United States
Joined 5133 days ago

355 posts - 496 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Spanish, Dutch

Message 13 of 17
08 April 2010 at 8:27pm | IP Logged 
I have been obsessive about learning this language since about 2007, though things have, unfortunately, never taken off properly. If I found a few people who also wanted to give this a go, then I might try to take it back up, but until then, I just have not found enough resources to make it easy as a self-study. To complicate matters further, I have heard that the dialects are all basically mutually-unintelligible, so this is just one more negative factor for trying to learn the language. Another problem is finding good resources for this interesting language. As someone else had mentioned, most of the books due tend to be in Dutch or German, though if one knows even one of these two languages, I think that the similarities would be enough that one could, albeit with a slight bit more difficulty, still learn Frisian using resources in either language.
One book in English I have is as follows: Phonology and Grammar of Modern West Frisian, by P. Sipma. Of course when this book says “modern,” it means 1913-modern.

On another note, how difficult is the Frisian pronunciation? I can never seem to find any good audio guides for word pronunciation, though a Dutchman had once told me that for a fairly decent guide to pronouncing Frisian, one should pronounce it like he or she would Dutch, as he claimed that the phonemes were pretty equivalent. Not sure how true this is though.

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5628 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: German*, DutchC1, EnglishB2, French, Italian, Spanish, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Danish, Norwegian, Turkish
Personal Language Map

Message 14 of 17
08 April 2010 at 8:59pm | IP Logged 
tracker465 wrote:
On another note, how difficult is the Frisian pronunciation? I can never seem to find any good audio guides for word pronunciation, though a Dutchman had once told me that for a fairly decent guide to pronouncing Frisian, one should pronounce it like he or she would Dutch, as he claimed that the phonemes were pretty equivalent. Not sure how true this is though.

www.sprachwelt.de

lists up resources in many, many rare languages.

Have a look at the Frisian resources, there are two resources listed:

http://www.sprachwelt.de/h/h0fry/index.htm

Kind regards,

Fasulye

Edited by Fasulye on 08 April 2010 at 9:00pm

Vinlander
Groupie
Canada
Joined 5602 days ago

62 posts - 69 votes 
Studies: French

Message 15 of 17
09 April 2010 at 5:03pm | IP Logged 
I find Frysk very weird to listen I know a little German, so listening to the language is like hearing a miss mash of English and German.

DaisyMaisy
United States
Joined 5161 days ago

115 posts - 178 votes 
Studies: Spanish
Studies: Swedish, Finnish

Message 16 of 17
13 April 2010 at 6:09am | IP Logged 
Very interesting thread! I don't think I've ever heard spoken Frisian before and I thought it sounded neat. Does anyone know whether some of the very English words like "castings" and "fittings" are Frisian or actually loan words from English? (I'm referring to the Doutzen link)

This discussion contains 17 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version