Diglot
Australia
Joined 6478 days ago

495 posts - 599 votes 
Speaks: English*, Hungarian
Studies: French, German

Message 1 of 10
11 March 2010 at 2:23am | IP Logged 
I just wanted to quickly ask how you have approached or how you are currently approaching Michel Thomas German.

My dilemma is this: I feel that, unless I can sit for a good hour or two, it's not worthwhile to do. I am finding it difficult to pick up where I left off, when I can only do small chunks (max 30 mins at a time). I am also finding it increasingly frustrating in terms of the corrections. So far it seems that the male student on the CDs repeatedly makes the same errors. Because he is constantly being corrected, it doesn't feel like we get very far in the lesson in half an hour's time... therefore the whole thing is feeling rather pointless at the moment.

Any tips, ideas, words of encouragement??
1 person has voted this message useful

spanishlearner
Groupie
France
Joined 5214 days ago

51 posts - 81 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*

Message 2 of 10
11 March 2010 at 2:26am | IP Logged 
What can I say. I learnt a lot from the course. Just carry it in your MP3 player and listen to it whenever you can.

Katie
Diglot
Australia
Joined 6478 days ago

495 posts - 599 votes 
Speaks: English*, Hungarian
Studies: French, German

Message 3 of 10
11 March 2010 at 2:51am | IP Logged 
Thanks Spanishlearner - I'm not meaning to criticise the program itself - more the method for which I am using to learn from it.

Were you able to listen in large chunks? How long were you able to listen to it at one time? And did you repeat it?

spanishlearner
Groupie
France
Joined 5214 days ago

51 posts - 81 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*

Message 4 of 10
11 March 2010 at 3:12am | IP Logged 
I usually listened for relatively small intervals, from a couple of minutes to twenty or half an hour. I used to carry it on my MP3 player wherever I went, and listened whenever I had some time. I went through all levels once. And I must say, in conjunction with Pimsleur and my main textbook (Langenscheidt's Optimal) I achieved very satisfactory results.

Grosse Affe
United States
Joined 6596 days ago

32 posts - 47 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 5 of 10
11 March 2010 at 4:01am | IP Logged 
Katie wrote:
I am also finding it increasingly frustrating in terms of the
corrections. So far it seems that the male student on the CDs repeatedly makes the same
errors. Because he is constantly being corrected, it doesn't feel like we get very far
in the lesson in half an hour's time...

I listened to MT Spanish and it was the same. The male student was soooo bad and was
repeatedly corrected, while the female student seemed to get it quite easily.

In fact, it was almost too similar!! I had already wondered if this was planned as part
of the course. Sort of to make you, the learner, feel like you're at least doing
better than that guy. Maybe someone with MT experience in other languages can weigh in
on the matter.

As far a support, well, I listened to MT Spanish on the way to/from work after
completing (almost all) of Pimsleur Spanish. I did exactly what MT said in the
beginning of the course. I didn't try to remember everything and just enjoyed the
experience and seeing how the language came together as he explained it. I think it
was
all the better for my doing Pimsleur first, as MT cemented what I already learned and
increased my understanding.

Don't sweat it, enjoy it. Your not in a race and have no deadline. Nothing says you
can't listen again later.

Edited by Grosse Affe on 11 March 2010 at 4:03am

Johntm
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5182 days ago

616 posts - 725 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 6 of 10
11 March 2010 at 5:34am | IP Logged 
Grosse Affe wrote:
Katie wrote:
I am also finding it increasingly frustrating in terms of the
corrections. So far it seems that the male student on the CDs repeatedly makes the same
errors. Because he is constantly being corrected, it doesn't feel like we get very far
in the lesson in half an hour's time...

I listened to MT Spanish and it was the same. The male student was soooo bad and was
repeatedly corrected, while the female student seemed to get it quite easily.

Yeah the guy on the Spanish version is an idiot. He keeps saying "po-kay" instead of porque.

But maybe add some other audio course?

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5771 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 7 of 10
11 March 2010 at 11:43am | IP Logged 
The problem of stopping and starting can be dealt with by "overlapping" sessions. Don't start a new session where you stopped the time before, rewind a bit and redo the last few minutes of your previous session of study. The last few minutes can remind you of what you had done before, and it will make sure you have in you head most of the vocabulary you're going to need when you reach the new material.

How much of an overlap? Well, I found a minute or two enough when I was doing it every day during my commute, but if you leave it a week or so between sessions you'll want 5-10 minutes of overlap, as you'll forget more and will need a bigger reminder.
4 persons have voted this message useful

kamal12341
India
Joined 5137 days ago

6 posts - 7 votes

Message 8 of 10
11 March 2010 at 6:15pm | IP Logged 
see MT German is really good for learning the basics of grammar like where to put the second verb in case of handles .I have just finished michel thomas German foundation course with 1 hr each day and now i have begun with pimsleur German .Believe me by doing this, u will able to grasp the grammar as well as pronunciation very easily.
Like all the people said carry it in any mp3 player where u can pause and practice .Also dont forget to read the transcripts that go with the michel thomas German course.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 10 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version