Diglot
United States
Joined 5172 days ago

191 posts - 428 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French, Russian, Arabic (Written), Mandarin

Message 1 of 1
12 March 2010 at 4:28am | IP Logged 
Just a random thought as I was downloading a mountain of Basic French FSI.

For those members who use shadowing, have any of you already edited the FSI audio/texts for shadowing purposes?

I was considering doing so for French, and was thinking that it would be a handy resource if we all pooled our edited versions of the audio into one handy source. Since FSI is public domain, there shouldn't be a legal issue (unlike if we did it for Assimil or Linguaphone). At least as far as I understand copyright law (which isn't saying much).

It would be a pretty big undertaking, but if a person is doing it for their own personal use, I don't see why they would mind posting it in an archive if one existed. As for editing texts, you could probably do the same. Then generations of future learners would have free, public domain materials available to try shadowing for the first time.

And yes, I know that the editing is *part* of the shadowing process, but I'm of the opinion that if X hours of audio editing is going to prevent a person from trying the method in the first place, it's better to at least have the option available?

Of course, I do wonder if Professor Arguelles has a metric ton of such materials sitting around somewhere, but that's another discussion entirely. . .

Anyway, just a thought for now. For all I know this has already been done?

1 person has voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version