1473 posts - 2176 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*
Studies: German, Russian

Message 1 of 53
12 March 2010 at 9:32pm | IP Logged 
[please feel free to move this if it's in the wrong room]
---------------------------------------------------------

Inspired by a thread about Hebrew:

What languages were spoken by the key people in the Bible?
(If you think the Bible is nonsense or boring, then don't respond!)

For example Jesus -- I remember hearing something about "Aramaic" being his mother tongue. Does anyone know, and if so, what's the status of this language today?

Early apostles we know; They happily wrote in Greek and... erm.... some other language, but which? Latin, or did that come later?

The Old Testament / Jewish Bible is completely in Hebrew, but it was not actually the native language of those Jews, was it? For example, did Moses speak Hebrew or something else?

The figures before that are very sketchy and once you get back to Job and Noah a few people begin to question what was really myth or reality (let's not debate that here...) But has anything been said about what their language might have been?

What about the Book of Revelation - was that in Greek too?
And the story of the Tower of Babylon, what was all that about?

How important is it to know Greek, Hebrew etc to really understand the Bible? What about Latin?

I know that many seminaries teach these languages, but really, to what degree can you master an ancient and very different language after only 2-3 years of study (not sure how long they study for...)

1 person has voted this message useful

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5162 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 2 of 53
12 March 2010 at 9:46pm | IP Logged 
cordelia0507 wrote:
For example Jesus -- I remember hearing something about "Aramaic" being his mother tongue. Does anyone know, and if so, what's the status of this language today?

The very existence of Jesus has never been proven, never mind the language he spoke.
4 persons have voted this message useful

tractor
Tetraglot
Norway
Joined 5234 days ago

1349 posts - 2292 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, Spanish, Catalan
Studies: French, German, Latin

Message 3 of 53
12 March 2010 at 10:07pm | IP Logged 
Arekkusu wrote:
The very existence of Jesus has never been proven, never mind the language he
spoke.

I thought that the existence of Jesus was in fact generally agreed on, but not necessarily that he was the son of
God, a prophet or turned water into wine.
17 persons have voted this message useful

tractor
Tetraglot
Norway
Joined 5234 days ago

1349 posts - 2292 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, Spanish, Catalan
Studies: French, German, Latin

Message 4 of 53
12 March 2010 at 10:13pm | IP Logged 
cordelia0507 wrote:
How important is it to know Greek, Hebrew etc to really understand the Bible? What about
Latin?

I don't think knowing Latin can be very important in order to understand the Bible, a book written in Hebrew and
Greek. It is probably useful if you want to study Christianity and the role the Bible has played in Europe.
2 persons have voted this message useful

cordelia0507
United Kingdom
Joined 5619 days ago

1473 posts - 2176 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*
Studies: German, Russian

Message 5 of 53
12 March 2010 at 10:33pm | IP Logged 
cordelia0507 wrote:

(If you think the Bible is nonsense or boring, then don't respond!)

...question what was really myth or reality (let's not debate that here...)

9 persons have voted this message useful

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6484 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 6 of 53
12 March 2010 at 11:03pm | IP Logged 
Some parts of the Bible were written in Old Aramaic - "Daniel, Ezra and a few other places in the Hebrew Bible" according to Wikipedia. And later the Bible was translated into a later version of Aramaic. I have been to a Syrian village called Maallula, where I heard the priester speak in Aramaic, but it is gravely endangered.

However the main original language of the Old Testament was Hebrew. This Jewish Bible was translated into Koine Greek by seventy scholars [Septuaginto], and later Hieronymus translated this material with some addition in Greek into Latin (Vulgata), and he added the New Testament which was originally written in Greek, even though some scholars think that the known versions of some parts were based on lost texts in either Hebrew or Aramaic.   

Edited by Iversen on 12 March 2010 at 11:26pm

5 persons have voted this message useful

mick33
United States
Joined 5705 days ago

1335 posts - 1632 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Finnish
Studies: Thai, Polish, Afrikaans, Hindi, Hungarian, Italian, Spanish, Swedish

Message 7 of 53
12 March 2010 at 11:04pm | IP Logged 
cordelia0507 wrote:
What languages were spoken by the key people in the Bible?

I don't think anyone knows what language(s) were spoken by any Biblical characters before Abraham, I think he may have spoken Chaldaic or Sumerian. I think that the main languages of the Bible may have been Hebrew, Aramaic and Greek. I thought I heard somewhere that after the Babylonian captivity, the Jews spoke more Aramaic than Hebrew and that by the time of Jesus Aramaic had replaced Hebrew as the language spoken everyday but I'm not certain.

cordelia0507 wrote:
The Old Testament / Jewish Bible is completely in Hebrew, but it was not actually the native language of those Jews, was it? For example, did Moses speak Hebrew or something else?
I think from the time of Isaac and Jacob until the Babylonian captivity the Jews native language was Hebrew, possibly with some Egyptian influence because the 400 or so years that Jacob's descendants lived in Egypt. Moses may have spoken both Hebrew and Egyptian since he was brought up in the palace of Pharoah.

cordelia0507 wrote:
What about the Book of Revelation - was that in Greek too?
And the story of the Tower of Babylon, what was all that about?
I don't know if the Book of Revelation was in Greek or not. The Tower of Babel story is difficult because the Biblical account is only 11 verses, and I'm not sure if there's any other versions of the story. It could an interesting topic of study for language enthusiasts given that supposedly everyone on Earth spoke a common language until the Tower of Babel was destroyed and then everyone was scattered and new languages created, which makes me wonder if we will ever find out a few things: 1. Did everyone really speak a common language or not? and 2. If they did speak a common language, are there written records of it and could that language be spoken by some remote tribe that has never yet been contacted by outsiders?

cordelia0507 wrote:
How important is it to know Greek, Hebrew etc to really understand the Bible? What about Latin?

I know that many seminaries teach these languages, but really, to what degree can you master an ancient and very different language after only 2-3 years of study (not sure how long they study for...)

I don't know if it's necessary to know the ancient languages to really understand the Bible well, but that might be a better option than having a new translation into modern English (and other languages) every few years.

As for studying those languages there may be one advantage; since no one knows how they were pronounced there could less time spent on learning pronunciation and more focus on reading and translation.

Edited by mick33 on 23 March 2010 at 6:54pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6484 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 8 of 53
12 March 2010 at 11:23pm | IP Logged 
If you really want to hear some really old human speech then Africa would be a better place to search than the Middle East, - the Khoisan languages (those with the clicks) are sometimes assumed to be extremely old.

The tale about the tower of Babel may have some historical background in the Ziggurats, which were originally built by the Sumerians, but the idea was later taken up by Akkadians and Babylonians. But there is absolutely no historical foundation for the idea that all people were all speaking one single language in historical times - not even in in present-day Iraq where these civilisations appeared. Even the Sumerians must have known that their neighbours had their own languages, and if they didn't then they would have learnt it when they were concquered by the Akkadians.

I can to some degree understand why people want to learn the old Biblical languages (including Gothic) - at least they have some interesting texts to study, whereas those who are interested in other old languages may have to do with scattered fragments. But it must be just as fascinating to study Pali or Sanskrit which also have a large literature. Or Ancient Chinese.

Edited by Iversen on 13 March 2010 at 7:32pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 53 messages over 7 pages: 2 3 4 5 6 7  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version