Tetraglot
Netherlands
Joined 6029 days ago

407 posts - 443 votes 
Speaks: German, Croatian*, English, Dutch
Studies: French, Japanese

Message 1 of 5
14 March 2010 at 10:54am | IP Logged 
Just found a cheap "Niederlandisch ohne muhe" on ebay.
I figured learning Dutch from German would make more sense, and it was also one of the older books which I heard were better.

Now, it was only a book; is it a huge problem to use it without the tapes? I realise some think that's sacrilege here, but my Dutch pronunciation is quite good, and I live in the Netherlands anyway.

If not, could anybody help me with the tapes?

Also, how fast do you think I could go through the book? Considering I know both English and German, I could understand some Dutch to begin with. I've been living here for less than half a year now, and my Dutch has improved. Although, I kept it passive the whole time and didn't make a conscious effort to learn it.

:(

thanks

Edited by Fasulye on 15 March 2010 at 9:51pm

1 person has voted this message useful

ManicGenius
United States
Joined 5266 days ago

288 posts - 420 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Esperanto, French, Japanese

Message 2 of 5
15 March 2010 at 9:45pm | IP Logged 
If you feel that your pronunciation is good, it can always be better.

You CAN go through the assimil series with only the books, but most people will not recommend it since you lose hearing and speaking practice. In your case it's a bigger exception since you have the advantage of living where it can be heard/spoken at any time (assuming... I've no knowledge of the current state of dutch being spoken in the Netherlands, last I heard it's not heard very often. I truly hope not).

With prior exposure you can just trudge through pretty fast, but make sure you still take in everything and have a solid understanding of each lesson.

tommus
CanadaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5651 days ago

979 posts - 1688 votes 
Studies: Dutch, French, Esperanto, German, Spanish

Message 3 of 5
15 March 2010 at 10:54pm | IP Logged 
ManicGenius wrote:
I've no knowledge of the current state of dutch being spoken in the Netherlands, last I heard it's not heard very often.

I'd say that it is spoken and heard by the over 15 million Dutch speaking people of The Netherlands every day. Yes, English and other languages are being spoken there, but Dutch is not about to disappear in The Netherlands any time soon.
2 persons have voted this message useful

ManicGenius
United States
Joined 5266 days ago

288 posts - 420 votes 
Studies: Esperanto, French, Japanese

Message 4 of 5
16 March 2010 at 2:14am | IP Logged 
tommus wrote:
I'd say that it is spoken and heard by the over 15 million Dutch speaking
people of The Netherlands every day.

Ah cool. Maybe I'll dip my toe in it sometime.

bushwick
Tetraglot
Netherlands
Joined 6029 days ago

407 posts - 443 votes 
Speaks: German, Croatian*, English, Dutch
Studies: French, Japanese

Message 5 of 5
17 March 2010 at 12:55am | IP Logged 
Dutch is spoken all the time. From shops, to people on the street, people will still assume everyone can speak Dutch. And actually, quite enthusiastic when hearing someone is learning it.

I go to college here, and although it's very international, the majority is still Dutch, I'm with it everyday.

This is great news though! I'm happy I didn't waste money; I just hope the old versions aren't too archaic, but I guess Dutch also changes less than say, English.

Thanks!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version