ashshea
United States
Joined 5167 days ago

19 posts - 19 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: German

Message 1 of 6
15 March 2010 at 2:13am | IP Logged 
What's the best way to use the FSI text? Especially- do you recommend following along in the text while doing the audio drills or not following along? The problem is that the text gives you the answers. Is this okay? What do you think?

By the way, I just started FSI French Basic.

Edited by ashshea on 15 March 2010 at 2:13am

1 person has voted this message useful

Breogan
Bilingual Tetraglot
Groupie
Spain
Joined 5703 days ago

42 posts - 48 votes
Speaks: Spanish*, Galician*, French, English
Studies: German, Russian, Arabic (classical)

Message 2 of 6
15 March 2010 at 3:48pm | IP Logged 
You follow the text only in the presentation of lessons and in grammar points. There you have the vocabulary and structures you'll have to use in the drills.
Obviously you can always take a look at the text when you don't understand anything :)

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6696 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 3 of 6
15 March 2010 at 5:07pm | IP Logged 
So far, I havent used the texts while studying with FSI, primarily because I have mainly listened to the lessons (in my mp3 player) while taking a walk or exercising. If you're a complete beginner, you may want more instructions, but for me, the grammar concepts of the lessons were never completely new.

GREGORG4000
Diglot
United States
Joined 5310 days ago

307 posts - 479 votes 
Speaks: English*, Finnish
Studies: Japanese, Korean, Amharic, French

Message 4 of 6
15 March 2010 at 5:56pm | IP Logged 
Hmm, the FSI Finnish text includes a whole bunch of classroom exercises and exercises which have answers that only the teacher's textbook includes >.<
2 persons have voted this message useful

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6943 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 5 of 6
15 March 2010 at 6:01pm | IP Logged 
GREGORG4000 wrote:
Hmm, the FSI Finnish text includes a whole bunch of classroom exercises and exercises which have answers that only the teacher's textbook includes >.<

For FSI Finnish, the workbook is a better bet for self-instruction since it does include answers to its drills. The answers are either recorded on the .mp3s or printed on one side of the page - just cover the side with the answers when doing the exercises.
2 persons have voted this message useful

DaraghM
Diglot
Ireland
Joined 5938 days ago

1947 posts - 2923 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French, Russian, Hungarian

Message 6 of 6
16 March 2010 at 10:42am | IP Logged 
I used to read the text separately to doing the audio drills, but now I'm using them together. I normally read through the entire text once without audio, and then listen to the audio when I'm walking. At my first read through the lesson, I try to complete the drills in my head. When I then listen to the audio, I'll look at the associated text once, and then listen to the audio by itself. This means I end up seeing the answers to the drills, but that actually helps reinforce the subsequent re-iterations of the same drill.

Edited by DaraghM on 16 March 2010 at 10:46am

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version