Joined 5162 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 129 of 222
28 September 2010 at 8:46pm | IP Logged 
Huliganov wrote:
TixhiiDon wrote:
I've just made a start on it. I can easily picture myself forgetting when the two-week
period is up and being late for my distillations, but what the hell, I'm willing to give
anything a try.

But you simply keep on going with the headlist throughout the first two weeks - or more. My cycle is about two months rather than two weeks. Two weeks is the minimum for the effect of the short-term memory to be excluded. It's not about doing an evening's worjk and then not doing anything more for two weeks. You just don't cover that part of the vocab again for two weeks.

Hope this clarifies what the method is all about.

Huliganov, it appears no one here has had any success with your method. Why do you think this is not working for us when it seems to be an awesome method for you (and presumably others)?
1 person has voted this message useful

ericspinelli
Diglot
Japan
Joined 5564 days ago

249 posts - 493 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: Korean, Italian

Message 130 of 222
04 October 2010 at 4:34am | IP Logged 
Quote:
From page 3:
In this time, the person who has spend the hours with his vocab book doing what I suggested above, and doing grammatical exercises...

Can anybody go into further detail about the grammatical exercises and any other additional study that is done in conjunction with the Gold List method? In particular, are these exercises done in a manner as to purposefully avoid words added to active lists before the two week hands-off period, or does this two week period apply only to vocabulary specific study/memorization? Thank you.

TixhiiDon
Tetraglot
Japan
Joined 5245 days ago

772 posts - 1474 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese, German, Russian
Studies: Georgian

Message 131 of 222
09 October 2010 at 12:01am | IP Logged 
Well I've started on the first distillation of my first lists, and it seems to be working
for me. In fact it's working so well that I'm struggling to come up with 17 words to add
to the first distilled list because I remembered more than 8 words of the original 25.

I think perhaps the key to this method is to have at least some kind of relationship with
the words you write down in the first list. For example, they may all be words from a
vocab list of the chapter you've just finished in your textbook, irregular verbs that
you've come across but can't remember the endings for, vocabulary that pops up quite
regularly in a novel you're reading but hasn't fully sunk in yet, and so on. I'm
creating all my lists in this way and I'm quite impressed with the results so far.
6 persons have voted this message useful

plaidchuck
Diglot
Groupie
United States
facebook.com/plaidchRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5086 days ago

71 posts - 93 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish

Message 132 of 222
12 October 2010 at 5:21am | IP Logged 
I'm trying this method as well for Spanish. I started on the 28th of September and I'm up to about 550 words. I'm mostly using words I didn't know from a book I'm reading, and sometimes I make a 25 word list of idioms and other vocab from videos/movies/assimil/etc. I usually do about 3 lists or so a day, depending on time I have to kill. Writing the list does take a bit of time, usually about 30 minutes, so sometimes I'll actually write half of the list and come back later and finish it.. so as a disclaimer that may skew my results somewhat in one direction or the other.

Either way the 14 days will be up for the first day of lists this week, and the question will be how soon do I check them and the subsequent days of lists...
2 persons have voted this message useful

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5792 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 133 of 222
12 October 2010 at 10:34am | IP Logged 
Huliganov wrote:
In any event, I don't even need to be providing evidence, despite what Cainntear says, because all the work on staged presentation, which is all this is - a version of staged presentation which anyone should simply be able to manage for themselves putting themselves in control of pace and progress, and disengage from these hopeless teachers - was done 80 years ago, and anyone with a mind to can see the arguments for staged presentation.

Had I gone about making claims about some new scientific discovery, then Cainntear's demands for me to start furnishing peer reviewed research might be more justified, but show me where I ever made such assertions?

Except that you didn't refer to any of the previous research. In the description I read, and above, you claim it comes from your observation of people using the Gold List technique*.

If you do not tell people what you are basing your techniques on, then no-one can look up the arguments for themselves.

Unfortunately, as you appear to have rewritten the instructions since my post, it is impossible for me to go back and quote you as I no longer have access to the text I was referring to.

Huliganov wrote:
I've put down a goldlist for years and picked it back up and continued. The long term memory is the long term memory.

I find this more worrying than reassuring.

The very first thing you say in your description is "No reliance on mnemonics". Sorry, but a list is a 100% mnemonic device. As soon as you have a fixed order, each item acts as a "cue" for the next.

Most people here avoid lists for fear of learning the list, not the contents. Thanks to high-school vocab lists, I confused my French strawberries and raspberries, despite spending most of the summers of my childhood in France and preferring "yaourt framboise" to "yaourt fraise". I can remember working through the list of fruits to get to the one I wanted. Because you can use a list as a lookup device in this way, I call it "the dictionary in your head". Every school class is full of people who learn to survive on the dictionary in the head, but as you say, they come out of school unable to speak.

* Note: technique, not method. "Method" is used in standard terminology to refer to a complete language learning system of methodology and materials. A technique is one activity that can be used to help learn a language, but isn't a complete way to learn a language. Vocabulary is only part of language, so this can only be a technique.

lingoleng
Germany
Joined 5079 days ago

605 posts - 1290 votes 

Message 134 of 222
12 October 2010 at 11:38am | IP Logged 
Cainntear wrote:
"Method" is used in standard terminology to refer to a complete language learning system of methodology and materials. A technique is one activity that can be used to help learn a language, but isn't a complete way to learn a language. Vocabulary is only part of language, so this can only be a technique.

When I came here I found the use of the word method extremely annoying, or irritating, at least. People here say method when they mean course, but the simple truth is that most courses use the same method, of course (some dialogs, some explanations, some sound files. Cool, a new method ...).
If one does not accept this forolect, then there are methods for learning vocabulary, of course.

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5792 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 135 of 222
12 October 2010 at 12:16pm | IP Logged 
lingoleng wrote:
Cainntear wrote:
"Method" is used in standard terminology to refer to a complete language learning system of methodology and materials. A technique is one activity that can be used to help learn a language, but isn't a complete way to learn a language. Vocabulary is only part of language, so this can only be a technique.

When I came here I found the use of the word method extremely annoying, or irritating, at least. People here say method when they mean course, but the simple truth is that most courses use the same method, of course (some dialogs, some explanations, some sound files. Cool, a new method ...).
If one does not accept this forolect, then there are methods for learning vocabulary, of course.

No, they use similar methodologies. Method is methodology + material.

lingoleng
Germany
Joined 5079 days ago

605 posts - 1290 votes 

Message 136 of 222
12 October 2010 at 12:33pm | IP Logged 
Cainntear wrote:

No, they use similar methodologies. Method is methodology + material.

This is a strange use of the termini, again. In my (very traditional) world view methodology kind of adds a meta layer to method: It deals with methods. You think a method consists of methodologies? This is not very conventional.
Well, I am aware that such discussions are not of any use, but I think people who are interested in an exact terminology should not use method as a synonym for any kind of material, as the forum usually does. You use to point out that technique is not a synonym for method, and I agree with this very much. Now if one could avoid using method for anything that can be bought or downloaded, and avoid using methodology when one means method and instead use it when one wants to talk about methods, this would be really something, but it will not happen.

Edited by lingoleng on 12 October 2010 at 12:34pm

This discussion contains 222 messages over 28 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version