aerozeplyn
United States
Joined 4933 days ago

141 posts - 202 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Mandarin

Message 161 of 222
16 December 2010 at 1:00pm | IP Logged 
I find it very interesting that some people who study languages end up debating and arguing here. No one here
is intentionally communicating to cause harm; people want to help others and to find help themselves! This is
something very natural for human beings obviously, so that is why we should trust and respect what each
individual has to say. This is why I find it interesting that some people here debate and argue.

Your "intellect" language will NEVER fully communicate the actual experience. Therefore, another person's means
of communicating their ideas will never be wrong. Some listeners/readers appear to focus on the flaws of another
member's message (ie- "where is your proof?", "it's a technique, not a method.", "i just don't think this is going to
work at all...", "I LIKE TACOS", etc). When you are reading a post, instead of focusing on the communicated flaws,
why not look for the truth in the message? This habitual practice will not only deepen your respect for the
individual, but it will also help improve your listening skills...which in-turn will possibly help you with your
language learning! Have some readers already forgotten that language does not reflect the experience?

Language is like a set of clues. Just because you don't understand the clues, or they do not reflect positively in
your mind, does not mean that they are incorrect. It only means that you haven't yet found the positive benefits
in, or how to apply the positive benefits from, the individual's message.

Edited by aerozeplyn on 16 December 2010 at 1:03pm

11 persons have voted this message useful

aerozeplyn
United States
Joined 4933 days ago

141 posts - 202 votes 

Message 162 of 222
16 December 2010 at 1:12pm | IP Logged 
Btw, I am working on a way to incorporate the Gold List method with my Mandarin vocabulary and (mainly) writing.
I'll give details later on my language log... however, so far I am looking at using the Gold List as "phase 2" since the
Gold List appears to be a good supplement for the disadvantages of 8-4-2-1 and SRS--Both incredible tools
already!

Related post:
http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?T ID=24037&PN=1&TPN=2

Edited by aerozeplyn on 16 December 2010 at 1:15pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Victor Berrjod
Diglot
Groupie
Norway
no.vvb.no/
Joined 4894 days ago

62 posts - 110 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English
Studies: Japanese, Korean, Ancient Greek, Biblical Hebrew, Mandarin, Cantonese

Message 163 of 222
16 December 2010 at 3:35pm | IP Logged 
I did my first distillations yesterday, and some more today. I realize that it was indeed a mistake to put the meaning and reading into the same entry number. My distillations ended up being longer than planned – one was as long as my initial list! However, I think I did remember a lot after all, and it was only the 3-4 first pages. Now that I'm past that, I'll see how the "normal" distillations go, starting tomorrow.

I also started a list for French, but I'll let that one go slower.

slymie
Tetraglot
Groupie
China
Joined 5013 days ago

81 posts - 154 votes 
Speaks: English, Macedonian
Studies: French, Mandarin, Greek
Studies: Shanghainese, Uyghur, Russian

Message 164 of 222
18 December 2010 at 5:14am | IP Logged 
When you do the distilling, do you test yourself by looking at the Target language or your notes/L1. ?

Victor Berrjod
Diglot
Groupie
Norway
no.vvb.no/
Joined 4894 days ago

62 posts - 110 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English
Studies: Japanese, Korean, Ancient Greek, Biblical Hebrew, Mandarin, Cantonese

Message 165 of 222
18 December 2010 at 6:20am | IP Logged 
Do mean me personally? I look at the target language for a few seconds, try to recall the meaning (and reading, if it's in kanji), and then see if I got it right. If it's a compound word, the reading is usually easier to remember, and if it's a single-kanji word, then the meaning is usually easier.

I think it's best to go L2 > L1, because you don't want to be translating L1 into L2 all the time. When you see the word, you don't need to remember its translation, but rather know how to use it. For example, when you see 氷山, you shouldn't think "Aha, that's an iceberg!", but rather see a picture of an iceberg in your mind, as well as effortlessly read ひょうざん. You want to be able to think in your target language. In my opinion, that is.

I just did the distillation of my fifth page, and I remembered ~30% of the entries. I didn't remember any of the first few ones, and was starting to get discouraged, but in the end, I did remember what I was supposed to. :)
3 persons have voted this message useful

aerozeplyn
United States
Joined 4933 days ago

141 posts - 202 votes 

Message 166 of 222
18 December 2010 at 6:46am | IP Logged 
Victor Berrjod wrote:
I did my first distillations yesterday, and some more today. I realize that it was indeed a mistake to put the meaning and reading into the same entry number...

What do you mean by the "reading"? Do you mean that with the Gold List method you're not supposed to put a word's definition on the same line? I started the Gold List, and my first line contains the word, it's character, and the definition lol...hopefully i'm not also doing it wrong :)

Also, for other members... what is L1 and L2? List 1, List 2? Line 1, Line 2?

slymie
Tetraglot
Groupie
China
Joined 5013 days ago

81 posts - 154 votes 
Speaks: English, Macedonian
Studies: French, Mandarin, Greek
Studies: Shanghainese, Uyghur, Russian

Message 167 of 222
18 December 2010 at 11:00am | IP Logged 
When you do the distilling, do you test yourself by looking at the Target language or your notes/L1. ?

Pyx
Diglot
China
Joined 5520 days ago

670 posts - 892 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: Mandarin

Message 168 of 222
18 December 2010 at 2:10pm | IP Logged 
aerozeplyn wrote:
Victor Berrjod wrote:
I did my first distillations yesterday, and some more today. I realize that it was indeed a mistake to put the meaning and reading into the same entry number...

Also, for other members... what is L1 and L2? List 1, List 2? Line 1, Line 2?

Word: 你好
Reading: Ni3hao3
Meaning: Hello

L1: Language 1 = Native Language
L2: Language 2 = (usually) Language you're learning

This discussion contains 222 messages over 28 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version