Joined 5006 days ago

81 posts - 154 votes 
Speaks: English, Macedonian
Studies: French, Mandarin, Greek
Studies: Shanghainese, Uyghur, Russian

Message 177 of 222
22 December 2010 at 12:25am | IP Logged 
Huliganov wrote:

Great idea. You could also use the frequentative dictionary I show on the Russian books page on www.oioioio.com (if you buy it from there I think I'm on 6%, but do shop around, especially I'm in no mood to plug Amazon even with percents for me when they pulled the plug on wikileaks, but at least they show the product) this way will be sure to focus your earliest efforts on what will give you the greatest utility.

It goes through the alphabet at each rough phase of frequentative equality, rather than claim to have a precise measurement.

I can't open the page for some reason, might have to do with the firewall here in China.

How much work should go into learning the words at first entering them in the list? For now I read them out loud, write them, read them again, repeat and also say the meaning in English. I can guess which words I will forget before I even close the book, ones that stick I know I won't forget.

Just the exposure to so many words I know will be a great benefit. Its much better than looking at a list of 15 words and trying to remember them. Scanning the dictionary lets you breathe in hundreds of words per session, some you remember just seeing once. I highly recommend it to anyone who hasn't tried. For a language like Russian that has so many words similar to English and Greek, I feel like I could memorize thousands of words a month. Thanks for the great idea!

oh and the Haiku is too easy. 大

1 person has voted this message useful

Huliganov
Octoglot
Poland
huliganov.tvRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5133 days ago

91 posts - 304 votes 
Speaks: English*, Polish, French, German, Russian, Spanish, Esperanto, Czech
Studies: Romanian, Turkish, Mandarin, Japanese, Hungarian

Message 178 of 222
25 December 2010 at 3:19am | IP Logged 
slymie wrote:
Huliganov wrote:

Great idea. You could also use the frequentative dictionary I show on the Russian books page on www.oioioio.com (if you buy it from there I think I'm on 6%, but do shop around, especially I'm in no mood to plug Amazon even with percents for me when they pulled the plug on wikileaks, but at least they show the product) this way will be sure to focus your earliest efforts on what will give you the greatest utility.

It goes through the alphabet at each rough phase of frequentative equality, rather than claim to have a precise measurement.

I can't open the page for some reason, might have to do with the firewall here in China.

How much work should go into learning the words at first entering them in the list? For now I read them out loud, write them, read them again, repeat and also say the meaning in English. I can guess which words I will forget before I even close the book, ones that stick I know I won't forget.

Just the exposure to so many words I know will be a great benefit. Its much better than looking at a list of 15 words and trying to remember them. Scanning the dictionary lets you breathe in hundreds of words per session, some you remember just seeing once. I highly recommend it to anyone who hasn't tried. For a language like Russian that has so many words similar to English and Greek, I feel like I could memorize thousands of words a month. Thanks for the great idea!

I would recommend taking a 'friendly interest' in the words but not trying to concoct mnemonics that don't hit you obviously. Philological cognates are another matter, but even these I wouldn't try to force into my memory, as forcing the memory is one thing and letting it do its own job perfectly is quite another. I would work at a nice easy pace, with neat work that I will be pleased with when working it onwards in a few weeks' time. It's possible to close out a session with reading down it, just for the pleasure of the sounds of the words, but I don't say it's a necessary part of it.

A bird's wing has two
But I have only the one
Will I ever learn?

2 persons have voted this message useful

slymie
Tetraglot
Groupie
China
Joined 5006 days ago

81 posts - 154 votes 
Speaks: English, Macedonian
Studies: French, Mandarin, Greek
Studies: Shanghainese, Uyghur, Russian

Message 179 of 222
20 January 2011 at 3:10am | IP Logged 
Huliganov wrote:
slymie wrote:
Huliganov wrote:

I would recommend taking a 'friendly interest' in the words but not trying to concoct mnemonics that don't hit you obviously. Philological cognates are another matter, but even these I wouldn't try to force into my memory, as forcing the memory is one thing and letting it do its own job perfectly is quite another. I would work at a nice easy pace, with neat work that I will be pleased with when working it onwards in a few weeks' time. It's possible to close out a session with reading down it, just for the pleasure of the sounds of the words, but I don't say it's a necessary part of it.

A bird's wing has two
But I have only the one
Will I ever learn?

First, the puzzle... more difficult but I like it :)
习? a bird's wing has two, 翅膀,Will I ever learn 学习.. but I only have the one.... no idea.. one habit? 习惯? ...hard one but my guess anyways.

I'm on the first return trip from the gold lists and for Russian I hitting an amazing 40-60% (from target language guessing the English). But I think most of it's due to so many words being similar to English and sometimes Greek. I.E.

аборт
агрессия
абрикос
абсолют
абсурд
аванс
авентюра

and a puzzle:

You use this to look into and examine, but if you involve your hand, you are only wiping the surface.

Huliganov
Octoglot
Poland
Joined 5133 days ago

91 posts - 304 votes 

Message 180 of 222
20 January 2011 at 8:40pm | IP Logged 
slymie wrote:

First, the puzzle... more difficult but I like it :)
习? a bird's wing has two, 翅膀,Will I ever learn 学习.. but I only have the one.... no idea.. one habit? 习惯? ...hard one but my guess anyways.

I'm on the first return trip from the gold lists and for Russian I hitting an amazing 40-60% (from target language guessing the English). But I think most of it's due to so many words being similar to English and sometimes Greek. I.E.

аборт
агрессия
абрикос
абсолют
абсурд
аванс
авентюра

and a puzzle:

You use this to look into and examine, but if you involve your hand, you are only wiping the surface.

I can't get that puzzle as it's probably a character I haven't got to yet.

You got mine right with the first character!

By the way, you should possibly be careful with that Russian source - авентюра refers to the chapters of the Nibelungenlied and unless you are a big fan of MHG or Wagner (I refer naturally to classical music's Wagner, not the Bionic Woman of the 70's or the failed X Factor contestant of last year) you may go through life in Russia never needing it.

Adventure per se is приключение. It contains the word for a key, which is a key to adventure as well as a key to remembering it. The Russian word for an adventure game is 'prikluchencheskaya igra' or just simply "kvest" from the English word "quest". This is very nice, as our quest as linguists is to learn languages, and this takes us into all manner of adventures of the mind!

Edited by Huliganov on 20 January 2011 at 8:43pm

Victor Berrjod
Diglot
Groupie
Norway
no.vvb.no/
Joined 4887 days ago

62 posts - 110 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English
Studies: Japanese, Korean, Ancient Greek, Biblical Hebrew, Mandarin, Cantonese

Message 181 of 222
20 January 2011 at 11:32pm | IP Logged 
I don't know what character you mean, either.

I can report that I'm learning a lot using the method! Right now I'm neglecting it because of my exams and farewells with friends, but I'll soon be back at it. I'll also use it for Ancient Greek when I get back to Norway. That will probably be more straightforward, since I won't need to learn the reading separately.

Edited by Victor Berrjod on 20 January 2011 at 11:33pm

slucido
Bilingual Diglot
Spain
https://goo.gl/126Yv
Joined 6453 days ago

1296 posts - 1781 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Spanish*, Catalan*
Studies: English

Message 182 of 222
05 February 2011 at 8:12pm | IP Logged 
I am going to try this Gold list method because I want to learn English.

As far as I understand, I can use words and sentences. I will use a Student's dictionary and I will write down words and sentences. I will only write down 25 items every day and I will review them in two weeks time. I will let you know my progress.

I think I have understood the method and the videos:

http://www.usenetposts.com/goldlist.htm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rH6FERpM5fQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KuLH7cGrHPs&feature=related

My problem is that I don't have enough willpower to follow any method, but I will try to follow the guidelines.

aerozeplyn
United States
Joined 4926 days ago

141 posts - 202 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Mandarin

Message 183 of 222
05 February 2011 at 8:53pm | IP Logged 
i am currently using the gold list method to help me with recognizing/writing Kanji characters. i've been doing this
routine for about a couple of months...err, a little less than that :) this method is working SWEET for me. however, it
definitely works best when i am patient about it...and when i work on it while i am in a calm, happy mood. after all,
"long term" methods are meant to be patient anyways. the gold list method ROCKs--just keep reminding yourself
every 2-4 weeks :)

Huliganov
Octoglot
Poland
Joined 5133 days ago

91 posts - 304 votes 

Message 184 of 222
06 February 2011 at 7:44pm | IP Logged 
aerozeplyn wrote:
i am currently using the gold list method to help me with recognizing/writing Kanji characters. i've been doing this
routine for about a couple of months...err, a little less than that :) this method is working SWEET for me. however, it
definitely works best when i am patient about it...and when i work on it while i am in a calm, happy mood. after all,
"long term" methods are meant to be patient anyways. the gold list method ROCKs--just keep reminding yourself
every 2-4 weeks :)

Great to hear that! Many thanks.

This discussion contains 222 messages over 28 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version