Diglot
Germany
Joined 5048 days ago

186 posts - 452 votes 
Speaks: German*, English

Message 217 of 222
15 October 2012 at 5:23pm | IP Logged 
montmorency wrote:
Do you keep a record in any form of the words learned in your context-based methods ?

Only if I do something like Iversen's wordlists and keep the sheets. But presently I don't do any wordlists either.

Anyhow, for the benefit of future readers I will copy and paste here the list of Goldlist materials, taken from the other thread where I had already responded.

==============

List of Viktor D. Huliganov's key presentations of his Goldlist method

He is working on a book explaining his method in a more structured manner, but I believe it is not due out in the near future. Until then we have to scour his websites for getting to understand the method.

SUMMARY OF THE TECHNIQUE

Uncle Davey’s “GoldList” methodology for learning to the long-term memory

EXCEL DEMONSTRATION SPREADSHEET

Download here

VIDEOS

Gold List Method for learning to L/T memory part one

Gold List Method for learning to L/T memory part two

Uncle Davey lectures on Gold List System at Moscow BKC-IH

Cheryl from Manitoba asks about the Gold List method

Uncle Davey discourses to Lord Moggy on the practical use of the Gold List System

Metodologia Gold List #1 - Pochodzenie i Dlaczego To Dziala (in Polish)

Metodologia Gold List #2 - Jak To Dziala w Praktyce (in Polish)

I guess that's about all. Be sure to also scan his numerous comments responding to questions below the videos, and have a look into the other Goldlist-tagged posts on his blog too. He is also very approachable and if you ask an intelligent question on his method that could be useful for other viewers he might reply to it publicly on his blog.
4 persons have voted this message useful

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4615 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 218 of 222
16 October 2012 at 1:59am | IP Logged 
montmorency wrote:
To Kronos:

You said:
Quote:

I nevertheless abandoned both computerised SRS and the Goldlist as parts of my own language learning. I prefer to learn the words in close connection with texts, context and authentic material, not in such an abstract manner.

Do you keep a record in any form of the words learned in your context-based methods ?

And you replied:
Quote:

Only if I do something like Iversen's wordlists and keep the sheets. But presently I don't do any wordlists either.

No, I gathered you didn't, as you said you prefer " to learn the words in close connection with texts, context and authentic material".

Sorry, but do you mind if I try to work out exactly what this means, if only because I don't regard Goldlist method, or word-lists as learning in an abstract manner. It depends how you collect your words and what you do with them of course, and the same might apply to electronic SRS although I have no experience of it.

For example, I collect the majority of my German words from novels, and after I've word-listed, flash-carded, or (only recently) gold-listed them, I might go back to the chapter I found them in (I tend to do this by chapter), and quickly re-read it to see if the words have stuck. However, if I don't have time or don't feel like it I'll just carry on with the next chapter, since there is a high chance the words will come up again anyway.

For Danish, they are almost all from TYS, and I have done a lot of the exercises and read and listened to the dialogues involving a lot of that vocabulary already, and I will be doing another pass to repeat the remaining exercises soon. So the vocab learning is at least partly in context or in context some of the time.

So, if you are reading a native text and come across an unknown word, what do you do with it?

Edited by montmorency on 16 October 2012 at 2:01am

1 person has voted this message useful

Kronos
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5048 days ago

186 posts - 452 votes 
Speaks: German*, English

Message 219 of 222
16 October 2012 at 7:50pm | IP Logged 
As long as I am in the learning stage I generally don't read native texts as I am busy enough with textbooks and other learning materials, and they usually have glossaries of the new words to learn or at least a translation of the lesson text. I don't feel the need to write those words down, but simply go over the glossary a number of times and then see them again in the lesson text and in context. If I need repetition I can always go through those texts and the glossaries again.

For me SRS systems become more relevant once I am in an advanced stage. For instance, on the (rather few) occasions where I read a piece of English literature or other stuff written on a really high level of speech there are always plenty of words and idioms I simply don't know or which I have to guess - maybe 1-3 words/idioms per page, hundreds in a challenging book. Looking them up in dictionaries or just guessing their meaning is almost a waste of time because I tend to forget both guessed and looked-up meanings almost immediately, at this stage.

It is predictable that I will get into the same situation with other languages too at some stage. That's where I found the Goldlist and wordlists. Either I could note down unknown words from texts and cycle them through one of those systems, or - perhaps even better - simply work through a mid-size or large dictionary in the search of interesting new words. But I haven't really done much beyond playing around with these methods a bit, and for now I am content to go through learning material mentally.

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6490 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 220 of 222
17 October 2012 at 8:34am | IP Logged 
I don't expect to learn words from my extensive reading or (even less) listening. When it happens it will in all likelihood be technical terms which are explained in detail in the text/speech, or it will be expressions which I ought to write down - but I don't always carry paper and a pencil around with me.

It is quite another matter with my intensive study of mono- or bilingual written texts, where I typically have a print from which a copy a section. On the paper I reserve the right margin for new words, which I look up either before or after reading each sentence and trying to understand it. Although sometimes I just guess or use a word from the translation if there is one. The idea is that all those words go into my wordlists later, and THEN I look them up.

I don't use the goldlist method, but if I did the first phase with the text would be the same. The difference is in the timing, where Huliganov urges you just to make the list and then keep away from it between each reduction phase.

Edited by Iversen on 18 October 2012 at 12:23pm

Victor Berrjod
Diglot
Groupie
Norway
no.vvb.no/
Joined 4896 days ago

62 posts - 110 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English
Studies: Japanese, Korean, Ancient Greek, Biblical Hebrew, Mandarin, Cantonese

Message 221 of 222
19 October 2012 at 1:40am | IP Logged 
Almost two years with the goldlist method now, and I'm not going back. I'm using it to learn Chinese characters now, and although it's much more effective with words, it seems to work for single 漢字 too. I've written an explanation of the method (with pretty pictures) that people might find useful:

Goldlist Method

I'll finish the 漢字 list early next year, and then go for 10 000 words of Mandarin.

Edited by Victor Berrjod on 19 October 2012 at 1:42am

4 persons have voted this message useful

languagenerd09
Triglot
United Kingdom
youtube.com/user/Lan
Joined 4887 days ago

174 posts - 267 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Mandarin, Japanese, Thai

Message 222 of 222
22 October 2012 at 2:10am | IP Logged 
I haven't tried it yet i've seen a video about it and it seems to be useful, I might give
it a try.

This discussion contains 222 messages over 28 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version